Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already did that; like I said, I can only control fan speed, not AC on/off. I can turn the whole thing off by scrolling fan all the way to zero though; forgot to mention that. Still, would be good not to have to tap twice to get to a perpo button. Easy to put a power button on the main screen like I've had all this time to now...
Scratch that. You can't turn off via the knob. You can only turn down to level 1, or turn on if it was off.

It used to be when you clicked and the fan was selected as the shortcut, it would turn the fan completely off.....
yeah I could have sworn that was possible a long time ago. But for the longest time now for me, it's been click once to turn it to auto, click again to turn it to manual (or just scroll around). It seems that I haven't been able to turn it off with the scroll wheel for a long time. I can just turn down to level 1. So that leaves two screen touches, in two different places at the bottom of the screen to power off. You need two screen touches to turn AC on or off as well, but that has always been the case. However, before the second press was almost in the center of the screen; very easy to get to. Now it's low and off to the right side of the screen, once of the hardest places to actually tap while driving!! Is the intent to have us pull over if we want to turn the AC on/off?

I hear you. I, too, would prefer if I could choose whichever app I wanted to be on top and whatever app I wanted to be on bottom, like I used to be able to do.

Having the background be the map (as Tesla is determined to make it now) instead of a solid color (as it used to be) is not a big deal to me, and I don't think it's really a step backwards. It could actually be a step forward for those rare times I do want three apps showing at once as I've never been able to do that before. Unfortunately, the way they've implemented it, it's not really possible in the configuration I'd prefer.

Camera on top, media on bottom is fine for me, when I want that configuration (the vast majority of the time)

The times I do want to use the map (not even NAV, just having they maps up so I can view traffic patterns), I'd like camera on top, map on bottom. But that's not possible as of now. As I mentioned, with the maps as the background and the a condensed media player, V9 does have the added feature of displaying 3 apps at once. Which is great, except is never use it because it doesn't allow me to keep the camera at top when the media player is condensed:

Allowing the camera to truly go to the top would negate that 3/8" difference in camera placement between v8 and v9 (currently used to display the street name while navigating) that Mark Z measured above. Allowing that plus a condensed media player at the bottom would open up the middle of screen for the maps/NAV in the background. I'd drive around with the camera on top, maps/NAV in the middle and condensed media at the bottom nearly 98% of the time if it were possible!

While .42 is a significant step forward from the original v9 release, I do hope and pray they continue to hear our complaints to improve this. I'm befuddled as to why Tesla is so determined to have the NAV occupy the top of the screen which is easiest for the driver to see when the dash screen also shows the NAV. I mean, I know it's done because the Model 3 only has one screen, but why market the two screens for the S and X as selling points if you're hellbent on having their UI's optimized for the single screen 3?

Just a thought, you might want to redact the location shown in the photos, unless you took the pics far from your house.

Is it safe to “upgrade” to V9 yet?
Depends on what you want.

Pro's are the new lane change suggestion option primarily. Per the many comments here and my experience, it's somewhat cool in light-to-moderate traffic but not rush hour.

Con"s (for me) is the loss of being able to run the browser and camera at the same time. If that's not important to you, I would uograde. Personally I wish I still had v8.

If you deferred upgrades since v8, you may have to go through several iterations including where you could not put the cam on top for a while - again a concern for some and nothing to others.

Is this 100% fixed yet? In latest 42.3 release?
You'd have to define what "100% fix" means to you.

It 99.625% meets the demand made in the thread title. Camera can go on top of the media player (I arbitrarily deducted .375% since the camera in v9 is .375" lower than the camera in v8 ;))

But I think, despite the wording of the thread title, most are really going to retain the ability to have any app on top and any other on bottom. That has not been 'fixed', and may never be, though I hope it will be.

Scratch that. You can't turn off via the knob. You can only turn down to level 1, or turn on if it was off.
I have my right scroll wheel set to CC temperature. Pushing the scroll wheel turns the climate control on or off, which is very handy. Haven't tried it on fan setting, however, since I generally use auto or off for climate control.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I have my right scroll wheel set to CC temperature. Pushing the scroll wheel turns the climate control on or off, which is very handy. Haven't tried it on fan setting, however, since I generally use auto or off for climate control.
OK I see the problem. I was using fan only. I rarely use the right scroll wheel to control temperature. But that must be the disconnect between what a couple of us are seeing and what others are seeing. Some of us are putting it on fan control and saying "no, I can't do that" while others of us are assuming it's obvious that temperature control (and thus not mentioning that it's not the fan control) should turn it on or off. doh!

So I will definitely go back to that/try it out. It still sounds like a lot of actions: I'll need to press the lower button, switch to temp. then scroll down or press once to turn off or on as the case may be. Still a lot to do while driving, but at least I'll never have to take my eyes off the road or break my concentration to zero in on a piece of the touchscreen.

You'd have to define what "100% fix" means to you.

It 99.625% meets the demand made in the thread title. Camera can go on top of the media player (I arbitrarily deducted .375% since the camera in v9 is .375" lower than the camera in v8 ;))

But I think, despite the wording of the thread title, most are really going to retain the ability to have any app on top and any other on bottom. That has not been 'fixed', and may never be, though I hope it will be.
So, 50% fixed. I always drive with waze browser on the bottom, and camera on top. Guess I'm never updating!

My V9 Bottom line is ……………."Having the maps always occupy the top of the screen offers little to no improvement for anybody while it is a dramatic reduction in functionality for many. Somebody involved in the process should have flagged this change and said "Why?"

My V9 Bottom line is ……………."Having the maps always occupy the top of the screen offers little to no improvement for anybody while it is a dramatic reduction in functionality for many. Somebody involved in the process should have flagged this change and said "Why?"
As others have pointed out elsewhere, the "why" is likely to make the S/X more like the 3, to simplify software writing. While logical from Tesla's perspective, I wonder if they expected this much pushback from annoyed S and X owners? I'm guessing that they didn't.

I also wonder how high up these changes are being decided?

Is it Elon guiding these decisions? I’m pretty sure it was Elon who wanted the disappearing top menu bar in v8.

Or is it bottom-up millennials who never actually drive the cars pushing these changes up the chain for approval without any user testing or feedback?

It’s so flipping frustrating to have these changes handed down from the ivory tower without any explanation or guidence of the overall strategy or reasoning behind the changes.

I’ve never seen a software house make this many bad design decisions over such a long time period before. It’s really supreme arrogance that they decide and deliver whatever they think is best with zero input from actual users/owners/drivers.

Last edited:
Change your scroll wheel assignment using the menu button below it.
Yeah, but it is sort of a pain to change scroll wheel assignments when you have more than one use, and have to rotate back and forth with something else like 'Brightness'.

It sort of reminds me of those old single-button Casio watches. It's amazing what you can get a spinning scroll wheel to do.

• Funny
Reactions: raphy3
How do you know they didn't have any input from actual users/owners/drivers? It could be the sample they used was OK with the changes.

I can only imagine that participants in the EAP are either hand chosen people very close to Tesla or people who would rather tell Tesla exactly what the they want to hear rather than risk getting kicked out of the EAP by giving them honest feedback.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and 3mp_kwh