Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL. So I finally relent and decide to download V9 for my S yesterday afternoon. Just went out to the car, clicked the "Install Now" button and went back inside. Later that night I checked the car.

View attachment 361153

So I tried it again last night. Made sure the Wifi was nice and strong, working fine. This morning went out to the car. Failed again!!! This is the first time in over five years of ownership of this car that a software update has failed.

I give up!
A blessing in disguise.

• Funny
Reactions: lunitiks
LOL. So I finally relent and decide to download V9 for my S yesterday afternoon. Just went out to the car, clicked the "Install Now" button and went back inside. Later that night I checked the car.

View attachment 361153

So I tried it again last night. Made sure the Wifi was nice and strong, working fine. This morning went out to the car. Failed again!!! This is the first time in over five years of ownership of this car that a software update has failed.

I give up!

You’re very lucky. You don’t want this so don’t attempt to download it. It’s far worse that V8. My guess is that they put some very young techies on this, who’ve very rarely driven the car but developed a design “theory’ about how the touchscreen should work. It’s a failed theory. And it’s not even a regression, it’s a totally failed “innovation.”

You’re very lucky. You don’t want this so don’t attempt to download it. It’s far worse that V8. My guess is that they put some very young techies on this, who’ve very rarely driven the car but developed a design “theory’ about how the touchscreen should work. It’s a failed theory. And it’s not even a regression, it’s a totally failed “innovation.”

From what I noticed, they pretty much took the super fancy Model 3 UI, tweaked it to work on a vertical screen and dumped it onto all us S/X owners. No thought was put in place on how this UI would work on a vertical screen, and more importantly to incorporate any of the features of V8 that have been designed and evolved over many years. Now we're stuck with an awkward "everything from the bottom of the screen only", zero customization, and full of bugs UI. Works great for the M3, not great for us S/X owners. Their "innovation" was to just throw away everything they have done and replace it with a UI from a completely different screen orientation.

Sadly, if the new refresh for the S/X is just a larger bloated horizontal version of the M3 screen they have no motivation to restore any V8 capabilities.

D’oh!

Tesla Ranger came and replaced the 12V and that cleared the error and so I went and did the install and now my car has V9. I got to drive with V9 for the first time this morning.

Hold on, I must hurl.

. . .

Ok I’m back. No, wait, more hurling.

. . .

Bleah. I will try to continue but it’s difficult. :)

What I really wanna know is what happened at Tesla when they originally put V9 out there, a or b or c:

a. The entire heroic UI/UX team had fought bitterly against it, but some puggled numpty (Elon? Franz?) overruled and ordered it shipped, so full UI/UX team immediately resigned, or,

b. Full UI/UX team of plookie tossbags invented this mess and despite rest of company fighting valiantly to halt its release, UI/UX tossers fought even harder to get it out and some numpty (Elon? Franz?) relented and so it shipped, rest of company including all the engineers and product people and finance people and HR and the admins and PR people snd yhe legal team and all the employees at factories and stores and service centers immediately resigned en masse, or,

c.Same as b except nobody resigned, they were all too scared to speak up about what a howlin’ pile of glaikit keech V9 is.

I mean holy crap. You just do not DO this with a car’s UI! You do not DO this to customers, especially operators of a vehicle! Imagine Boeing shipping new UI to the screens inside their jets’ cockpits. FAA would go ape-sh**. Pilots would refuse to fly. Even Apple would not ship such a disruptive upgrade to customers.

Consider me somewhat disappointed.

You were warned.

I know, I know. My post was 97% sarcasm for those who didn't notice.
V9 really is lacking, good grief. There are even modes where the frickin' video window, once you've got it on top, flops down as if it forgot you preferred it near the top of the screen. And all the animations, the motions --- screaming Apple-ism. I just want to turn of ALL the animated effects. I want SPEED not effects. Come on Tesla. Puh-leeze. Next up: beveled edges no doubt, as we continue our journey back to the 1990s.

Reactions: am_dmd
Phew, lucky I stumbled over this thread cause now I know I'm in good company HATING v9.

- The forced map (why, oh why Tesla?!),
- The "animated" media player from hell,
- The DOGGAMN backup camera button location (this one is a real safety issue IMO - I'm spending way too much time looking for it when I should be looking on the road!),
- The A/C menu (lol)

With v9, I've discovered a new side of myself. Apparently I'm capable of laughing ironically and cursing like an idiot while all alone in the car. (I wasn't aware Tesla could change my feelings for my MS so much with an OTA update)

A bunch of people screwed up royally with this

Last edited:
Phew, lucky I stumbled over this thread cause now I know I'm in good company HATING v9.

- The forced map (why, oh why Tesla?!),
- The "animated" media player from hell,
- The DOGGAMN backup camera button location (this one is a real safety issue IMO - I'm spending way too much time looking for it when I should be looking on the road!),
- The A/C menu (lol)

With v9, I've discovered a new side of myself. Apparently I'm capable of laughing ironically and cursing like an idiot while all alone in the car. (I wasn't aware Tesla could change my feelings for my MS so much with an OTA update)

A bunch of people screwed up royally with this
Okay so how how do we get them to fix it? I know a lot of M3 owners will just say sell it and buy an M3, but we don’t want their crappy little cars with horizontal screens and extra cup holders.

I was joking. I have road tested both of them back to back and I do prefer the MS but the 3 is by no means a crappy car. I do get a little tired of everyone saying the M3 is the better car, but we all have a right to our opinion. It looks like V9 might be narrowing the gap some. I’m still on V8 so I don’t know but I don’t like what I’m reading.

Any votes for V6? I liked that. I still think it was the easiest to read. The depth and shadows aided contrast. It just made sense.
I agree. In v6, buttons had a clear outline (or were positioned in a void between outlined buttons) so you could hit them easily without thinking too much about where the "active" area was. With later releases, you have to aim your tap more precisely (taking your eyes off the road longer), because there is no longer any separation, the icon is visually smaller, and every element has the same visual weight.

v6.jpg

This is not an argument in favor of the v6 "skin", which might look a bit dated now. But ignore the skin for a moment, and just note how the elements are clearly differentiated. There is a gap between the Controls button and the driver seat heater, showing the active area of each. The temperature controls break up the space between the buttons on either side, so you can aim your tap quickly into either the solid areas or the void areas.

I agree. In v6, buttons had a clear outline (or were positioned in a void between outlined buttons) so you could hit them easily without thinking too much about where the "active" area was. With later releases, you have to aim your tap more precisely (taking your eyes off the road longer), because there is no longer any separation, the icon is visually smaller, and every element has the same visual weight.

View attachment 364872

This is not an argument in favor of the v6 "skin", which might look a bit dated now. But ignore the skin for a moment, and just note how the elements are clearly differentiated. There is a gap between the Controls button and the driver seat heater, showing the active area of each. The temperature controls break up the space between the buttons on either side, so you can aim your tap quickly into either the solid areas or the void areas.
Wow, I don't care if it is a bit dated. That looks way better to me!