Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say I have all the best features of AP1 without all the inconvenience issues of the newer updates. Still on 2018.18, having not accepted updates in the last several months. At first I resisted because of the AP nagging, now I see there are many more issues. Is there anything of value new to AP1 in the newer versions other than farts and Atari games?
Same here; still on 2018.32.4 and feeling fortunate to have it while it lasts. My audio system just works and doesn't have frequent skipping or periodic loss of bass/subwoofer output as reported in other threads. I don't have to navigate new submenus for key functions like climate control while driving. I can see where traffic data exists, as opposed to guessing whether the road is actually clear. I can see the status of my DRLs, fog lamps, and headlights because I still have a front-facing image of my car in Controls. The icons in the bottom row aren't all the same size and weight, so it's easier to distinguish them quickly. And my AP1 is still buttery smooth! :)

The latest "joy" of version Nein! is when cancelling Autosteer (for example because you are stuck behind a vehicle moving slower than your set TACC speed, and you need to pass it without using Auto Lane Change, or when you are following the vehicle through a curve so it temporarily slows down and Autosteer can't handle the curve) Autopilot resets the TACC speed lower to your current speed. This "feature" appeared sometime in December and it is extremely annoying. I can't think of a reason why Tesla changed the behavior, or why they would not inform us of the change in the release notes or otherwise.

Wait, what???
I've not been in my car for months (I'm away) ...
You're telling me V9 has rid us of "green traffic lines"?
Never thought I'd NOT look forward to getting back to my car ...

They pretty much removed all "color" from v9.

Tesla UX designers decided to with with "Vomit Mode" instead of the trendy "Dark Mode".

Per the V9 manual:

Vomit Mode
The newly introduced Vomit Mode changes the color theme to match the style and color of a Manhattan sidewalk, with the life expression of activity outside of a bar 3:33am. These 51 shades of grey (+1 because... we are so clever) are interleaved with hints of pale orange. This new palette has been scientifically researched to immerse your inner mind, reminding you always... that we at Tesla really don't care how you feel. We do what we want, and you will like it.

Not that a rationale was needed, but perhaps one of the reasons Tesla dulled down the colors is because they homologized the UI with the Model 3 that has a better color gamut of the screen. A Model 3 owner was driving a Model S loaner and commented how dull the screen looks compared to the one on the Model 3. Thanks, Tesla! At least we don't get blinded by it at night.

Not that a rationale was needed, but perhaps one of the reasons Tesla dulled down the colors is because they homologized the UI with the Model 3 that has a better color gamut of the screen.

That pretty much IS the rationale for everything that is wrong with V9 - it's all about the Model 3. I've owned a 3 - that UI may work for it, however trying to shoehorn that UI model on the Model S/X has been a disaster and degraded usability.

The screen orientation, distance, gamut, brightness and size differences between the S/X and 3 are significant; each deserve their own UI model. For years I thought having new features and OTA updates was a great thing... then V9 came. Now I regret Tesla having the ability to degrade my car at anytime.

I was hoping that V9's release was more of a "rushed release" and that we would see some major fixes/changes by now to fix all the poorly implemented "changes".... sadly it's been a (regrettable) ~5 months and no obvious changes in sight.

I'm not sure what the best way to get their attention though to let them know, besides the continuous emails that most likely are most likely just skimmed over.

When’s Version 10 coming?

Version 10 removes all apps, now it's just a map on every screen. The map has 1 color, black, for all roads, non-roads, and text. The app is updated to match, it too has nothing.

If you would like to sample Version 10 early, power off your car and phone completely and stare at the dark screen. Bask in its simplicity of design, its spartan purity of purpose.

This is the future trend tesla is heading for: No features whatsoever.

I was hoping that V9's release was more of a "rushed release" and that we would see some major fixes/changes by now to fix all the poorly implemented "changes".... sadly it's been a (regrettable) ~5 months and no obvious changes in sight...
That's not correct. The initial V9 release allowed only one window on the screen, at the bottom.After negative feedback, Tesla rapidly changed the inability to put up a second window, such as the rear camera, above the media player and allowed the expansion of the media player to three sizes. This allows the second window to be placed near the top of the screen, about where it could be displayed in V8.1. The choice of top window will also remain when the car is turned off and turned back on again.

They didn't, however, restore the ability to choose any two apps for display, which is one of the reasons criticism continues here. They also haven't fixed the dumbed-down custom climate control buttons — they were more useful and intuitive in V8.1.

For the record, these were the release notes for the initial V9 release, 2018.39.6, in the first week of October 2018:

View attachment 341430 View attachment 341431 View attachment 341432 View attachment 341433

Last edited:
Seriously folks. I have the annual (pre-paid) service coming up on my AP1 2014 S. I can't take it to the Service Center if they will update the firmware to 9.0+ against my demands. Not good. What recourse do we have? This thread has evolved to all the issues with the latests updates in the last year. This is a big issue. Looking for ideas. We have the power of this forum behind us.

Moderator - new thread?

Reactions: kavyboy
Hmmm. Since they're OK with lying, tell them you have your car rooted and need them to update your computer in the official service center manner so your root applications can record the official update process and help you publish a rooting hack for the latest version.

I guarantee that will make them rethink updating your car maliciously, and they'll appreciate you asking to not be updated in the properly dishonest language they communicate with themselves.

Since they're OK with lying, tell them you have your car rooted and need them to update your computer in the official service center manner so your root applications can record the official update process and help you publish a rooting hack for the latest version.
They'll probably just immediately void your warranty and refuse service.

SC WILL update your firmware just like they did mine when they and I AGREED not to.
In writing.
And the reason was a blatant lie.
They claimed they were unable to attach their laptop to access my car using Version 8.

If you have it in writing... you could file a complaint with the Bureau of Automotive Repair in your state as an "unauthorized repair".

You could theoretically take it to small claims; arguing that updating your car despite your request not to, significantly and negatively changed the operation and characteristics of your car. As long as the update wasn't performed to address any safety/recall issues.