Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SC WILL update your firmware just like they did mine when they and I AGREED not to. In writing.
That is interesting, I had my car in at Tesla getting some work done last year and it must have hooked on to their WiFi and got pushed to the front of the queue for an update. So I called them saying I keep getting a notification on my phone saying an update is available and should I do it or can they do it for me. The guy at Tesla said they are not allowed to do the updates for customers because the customer needs to read and acknowledge the new features and warnings on the screen whilst sitting in the car. In the end they just put it in service mode and it stopped nagging me about the update.

SC WILL update your firmware just like they did mine when they and I AGREED not to.
In writing.
And the reason was a blatant lie.
They claimed they were unable to attach their laptop to access my car using Version 8.
not 100% true. I had my 6th annual at Xmas and only have the software downloaded. they did not install it and said they are/were not allowed to (we all know that is not completely true)

WTH????????
What's not 100% true?
They downloaded it AND installed it ... and then called me to tell me WHY!

After my app told me it had been ...
you said they will update it like they did yours. No, not 100% true because they did not do that for (to) me - so it is not 100% that they will do it to everyone. right? not calling you out just saying they are still pretty inconsistent (the part in parenthesis referring to them saying one thing and doing another)

it is complete BS they did that to you. especially when it was in writing! WTF.
and pretty sure their reason is a lie
I was very happily surprised they did not do mine. so sorry to any one forced V9

you said they will update it like they did yours. No, not 100% true because they did not do that for (to) me - so it is not 100% that they will do it to everyone. right? not calling you out just saying they are still pretty inconsistent (the part in parenthesis referring to them saying one thing and doing another)

it is complete BS they did that to you. especially when it was in writing! WTF.
and pretty sure their reason is a lie
I was very happily surprised they did not do mine. so sorry to any one forced V9
You didn't articulate the part about the truth, so I misread it as what they'd done to me - as if I had lied about that .... sorry.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
In my experience with my local service center, the biggest factor is what the repair is.

Most of my repairs allowed me to skip any forced update while the car was there. And recently when they told me that the battery heater had failed, their manager took the time to research my repeated ask of not updating to v9. Alas, there was no way for that newly installed part to talk to the rest of the car unless they brought the entire car up to the same rev. Made sense, and he was really sincere in regards to trying to bypass any update.

In my experience with my local service center, the biggest factor is what the repair is.

Most of my repairs allowed me to skip any forced update while the car was there. And recently when they told me that the battery heater had failed, their manager took the time to research my repeated ask of not updating to v9. Alas, there was no way for that newly installed part to talk to the rest of the car unless they brought the entire car up to the same rev. Made sense, and he was really sincere in regards to trying to bypass any update.
And how do you feel about V9?

Per my earlier posts on this thread, v9 sucks compared to v8.
Luckily I didn’t buy the car for AP or fart apps. I’ll just stay retro for as long as I can. This car is just an encredible machine to get to drive everyday. I think I could easily ignore V9’s shortcomings, but why take the chance. My UI is mostly the steering wheel and accelerator anyway.

Although if it makes my stereo stutter that’s a whole different story.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
I was looking for a place to rant about v9, and didn't think it deserved yet another thread so...
I'm driving a loaner 60D until they can figure out what a new noise in my 85 drive unit is. I thought I might be able to get used to V9, but no way.
Just about everything I need to use the screen for takes more "clicks" and I've come much closer to accidents because of it.
I often switch to range mode since its a waste of energy to heat the battery on short trips, but range mode should be off before charging. I leave the "Driving" menu selected. To get to that button in V9 you always have to select the "Driving" menu first since it reverts to the quick access menu; which is a stupid tab since all menus previous to V9 have all those controls. (Except the screen brightness, which I've set the right scroll wheel to control - no pano.)
The screen is no smaller, why are almost all targets smaller requiring more focus to touch them? And why should it hide those common controls in their own tab?
I turn off climate control if I'm comfortable. The off button is an extra click away. This loaner has a heated steering wheel which is nice, but to turn it off I have to open the climate menu, select the heating element tab, turn off the wheel, switch back to the climate tab and turn climate off again. 5 clicks to turn off the wheel!
Green traffic lines are gone so roads are harder to see on the grayscale map, also requiring more focus.

IMO, V9 was designed for people who's cars drive themselves so it doesn't matter how much focus the controls take. My car will obviously never drive itself, which is ok since I love driving my S.
V8 introduced (seemingly) random app placement. The only improvement my car got from 8 is the "Keep climate on" button which I use often. I would love V7 + that button.

A service advisor (title?) suggested the interface could be version selectable; that'd be awesome.

>The screen is no smaller, why are almost all targets smaller requiring more focus to touch them?

Because you're looking at a Model 3 UI designed for a smaller lower resolution screen. Model S as of V9 is now an afterthought and badly implemented which is why everything sucks and they took so many things away.

I turn off climate control if I'm comfortable. The off button is an extra click away. This loaner has a heated steering wheel which is nice, but to turn it off I have to open the climate menu, select the heating element tab, turn off the wheel, switch back to the climate tab and turn climate off again. 5 clicks to turn off the wheel!

Newer versions of V9 are better in the climate control portion since all the options are on one page now.

A service advisor (title?) suggested the interface could be version selectable; that'd be awesome.
Wow, wouldn't that be awesome! So I have prepaid for the 12 month service. Per Tesla's recent statement, I don't need to do it. So I will DEMAND my money back. A side benefit is that they won't upgrade my software. 2018.18 is just fine with me. I certainly hope I won't need warranty service. Oh yeah, I paid $4K to extend that!

Wow, wouldn't that be awesome! So I have prepaid for the 12 month service. Per Tesla's recent statement, I don't need to do it. So I will DEMAND my money back. A side benefit is that they won't upgrade my software. 2018.18 is just fine with me.

You don't have to demand you money back, just ask. They plainly say they will refund anyone that asks.

I certainly hope I won't need warranty service. Oh yeah, I paid $4K to extend that!

You bought the Tesla ESA? Remember that the ESA requires you to perform the annual services to remain in effect. So you might want to think getting your prepaid service refunded.

• Informative
Reactions: Blu Zap
I'm driving a loaner 60D until they can figure out what a new noise in my 85 drive unit is.
That post was about 4 days into my loaner. After 1 week, I went back to the SC to ask what was going on and make sure they weren't going to update my software. (Difficult to get through on the phone.) I was told I'm getting a new DU and they will have to upgrade the software, they can't re-install the current version. Extreme disappointment.

I got my S85 back yesterday, with V8 still on it! Elation! He made it sound like it was a big deal, "I asked the tech to keep trying until it took..." I wonder if that's how it actually went, but the end result is all I'm looking for.

With V9 my mom could not determine the seat heat setting, the wavy lines are to subtle and small. Do you know V8 has an actual number for what setting the seat heater is on? That we read without putting our reading glasses on?! A date static at the top of my screen, I can read that without readers too!! I have an off button for my climate control!! Green traffic!!! One touch apps! Manual air distribution with auto fan, in a compact aligned menu! This version is so much better than 9.

I don't mean to rub it in for those of you who have 9 (and don't like it); my main point is that going back to a previous version after driving V9 for 2 weeks is immensely satisfying. I did get used to the layout, but the extra clicks were driving me out of my mind. Hopefully Tesla software development will get their heads out of their... I mean come up with a better interface again.