Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i didnt read thru the whole thread, so maybe this was addressed already, but if you do a long press/touch on the fan it will turn off the HVAC.
This is true but I wish they would have left the on state as blue. The difference between two whites is hard to discern.

And then don't get me started by the need to turn on the HVAC to control some of the other features such as seat heaters ...

One more thing to add to this discussion- it looks like Tesla salespeople have been touting the ability to display the rear camera view while driving (presumably on the top of the screen) as a feature and saying that a lot of people do this:

"The guy doing our Model S drive did the same thing. Had the rear view camera up the entire time. When we mentioned how small the opening was out the back window he started touting how amazing the rear view camera was, and how a lot of people "kept it up all the time'." (kvandivo, Oct 10, 2017)

360 surround-view of the car (DRIVE PX 2 stitches camera images)

I sure wish this particular Tesla salesperson had mentioned this to whomever was responsible for removing the ability to have the rear camera view on top in the v9 software update.

Tesla could solve all v9 UI objections easily - Just add an up-arrow in the upper right corner of the camera display.

A tap on that arrow would move the camera up and expose the bottom section for any other app (or the Nav).

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like this simple change would make everybody happy.

I like the ability to put my camera on top. Most of my driving is local without Nav needed. When I do need Nav locally, it's for addresses in my phone contacts. Tesla took away the ability to voice command navigate to phone contact addresses back in v7, so since then, I use Hey-Siri on my iPhone instead, which initially searches in my contacts and gives good turn-by-turn voice directions.

I fully agree. I have no interest in having half the screen permanently dedicated to the map. 95% of my driving is in places I am very familiar with, and do not need a map. So I greatly prefer using that screen real estate for the media player and rear view camera. Not being able to do that is a significant downgrade IMO.

Mike Briggs
Owner since May 2018
Agree STRONGLY! The map is useless for most of my driving, and forces me to look further down on the screen for the rear camera. The further my eyes have to wander from the front view, the greater the danger.

Tesla could solve all v9 UI objections easily - Just add an up-arrow in the upper right corner of the camera display.

A tap on that arrow would move the camera up and expose the bottom section for any other app (or the Nav).

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like this simple change would make everybody happy.

I like the ability to put my camera on top. Most of my driving is local without Nav needed. When I do need Nav locally, it's for addresses in my phone contacts. Tesla took away the ability to voice command navigate to phone contact addresses back in v7, so since then, I use Hey-Siri on my iPhone instead, which initially searches in my contacts and gives good turn-by-turn voice directions.
AGREE!

Reactions: GSP and Blastphemy
If they are trying to mimic the Model 3, then just allow the apps on top of the screen which more-closely matches where the apps are on the Model 3.

Model 3 owners wouldn’t be happy if Tesla decided to mount their screens 12 inches lower. This is essentially what they did to us.

Just let us put the apps up top. Even if it’s one at a time. I can live with that. Basically whatever they did in V9, only flipped. Problem solved for me (except for the new clunky HVAC controls).

That would be for this threads topic - the rear camera display.

But the changes they made with the HVAC (both action/display-wise and the changes in function - my car needs a 2 degree offset to cool at the same comfort level).

Then there is the media player updates they promised over and over again for 2 years that have never come after they broke it in 2016 ...

Fully agree that not allowing rear view camera on top/media on the bottom while driving is a big step backwards. If this hasn't been posted already, its a semi-workaround...at least it allows camera and media to both be on the screen.

Also while we're at it can we get rid of that ridiculous old-tymie telephone icon? Seriously, amateur hour on the interface.

Nathanael Nerode
Tesla Model S owner since 2013[/QUOTE]
I wish I would have found this thread before last night when my car updated to the new version 9. This is a huge downgrade from the old split screen. Why in the world did tesla take this option away and dedicate the entire screen to the Navigation?!?!? Bad bad bad mistake Tesla.

Despite the fact v9 caused nothing but pain on my 2013 Model S, after a bit of research I finally convinced my wife to upgrade her 2018 Model 3 to v9. And I’ve got to admit it’s a pretty awesome upgrade on her Model 3. But now I’m even more confused as to why my non-autopilot Model S got the update before my wife’s Model 3 when the update was so clearly aimed at the Model 3 in particular and cars with autopilot hardware more generally.

In the future, I hope Tesla gives you the release notes for a software update BEFORE you irreversibly commit to the update. This way you can make an informed decision about whether to accept the update or to opt out. Right now it’s impossible to tell if the software update is a critical security fix that will keep you getting hacked or if it’s a major change that will provide lots of great new features for some cars, but will remove key features from other cars.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and yodrak
Fully agree that not allowing rear view camera on top/media on the bottom while driving is a big step backwards. If this hasn't been posted already, its a semi-workaround...at least it allows camera and media to both be on the screen.

Also while we're at it can we get rid of that ridiculous old-tymie telephone icon? Seriously, amateur hour on the interface.
That was super helpful. Thank you!

Edit: Sadly this didn't work in my 2017 X.

Last edited:
Hold on...

I stopped by the local Tesla Service Center today to ask what happened to my v9 upgrade (I was notified early Sat morning while I was out. Got home Sunday night and no upgrade available.) The service tech told me that Tesla pulled the release for the time being. While he doesn't know for sure, he suspects it may take up to a week before they re-launch v9.

Is Tesla gonna fix this?

Maybe Elon got in his MS and said “WTF, I can’t run Starfield full screen any more?”

Last edited:
But I really don’t like being pestered every time I put the car in Park... up comes the software update dialog box..

I've been refusing firmware updates since they introduced more nags for AP in V8. I've noticed that after I dismiss the update prompt 20-30 times, it no longer prompts me. Not sure if that will work for the V9 update (I still haven't received any update notices for V9).

Hopefully I won't have to have a service visit any time soon.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy