Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TMC should shut down for a day so we can all breath a collective sigh of relief, enjoy an ice cold Castle, and remember why we love Teslas.

... and hope they never try this again.

Owning a Tesla is like being in a relationship.

Sometimes your spouse is going to do something nutty.

So your best bet is to be patient, and to try to explain your side.

Sometimes they listen, and sometimes they don't.

This time our spouse listened.

This kind of thing happens at every major release.

Elon Musk on Twitter - If the frequency of releases continues at the same pace, I interpret Elon's Tweet to mean that, in about 6-9 months, V9.1 will include, at minimum, the ability for us to again dock our cameras at the top of the touchscreen.

I rated your post as "funny", not because I think you're wrong....it's just funny that it will take 6 to 9 months to get us back to the way we were before the upgrade. That's funny in an ironic kind of way.

So, with a little more patients, we will all find out together! Do you think that remedying the camera display area will help you to keep your car after all? I know for myself, nothing could drive me to a glorified Toyota with that awful Darth Vader grill... ugly, just ugly...
No, we have decided to get rid of the car for many reasons previously stated. Getting this remedied will allow the car to be driven again, as right now it is not being used, so I hope this fix comes out soon, so we can have 2 cars again.

However, based on the fact that Tesla never responded to the issue properly and there unwilling to do a simple rollback AND they refuse to preform warranty service for people who didn't upgrade, we are not willing to continue to play games with this company anymore.

Reactions: KArnold
Well, nice the Musk replied to a tweet. Methinks folks know this means nothing till it actually happens. ;-)

And good lordy hopefully they didn't take the wrong message from all the complaints, and they're not just implementing a buried preference to make the camera or nav be the permanent app. ::shudder::

Still, even if uncertain and vague, nice to see some quasi-good show up in this thread!

• Love
Reactions: neroden
good lordy hopefully they didn't take the wrong message from all the complaints, and they're not just implementing a buried preference to make the camera or nav be the permanent app. ::shudder::

That’s exactly what I’m afraid of.. it won’t be the simple solution we’re looking for, but rather yet another broken “feature” that pops the camera up top, but royally screws up something else.

Here are two questions: In v9, if you put the car into reverse, I assume the camera-image appears. 1 Is it at the top of the screen? 2. Does it still have the button that lets you see an image of what the rear sensors detect?

Yes and yes...

Unless you have the camera app open before you put it in reverse.

I dont know if this is still the case in .42

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine
Tesla said:
"You can now use the Calendar, Energy, Rear Camera, and Phone applications at the same time as Media Player. When Media Player is open, these applications display above the Media Player window and can be dragged up or down to adjust the viewing position.”

Yup. Just as I suspected. More f*****upedness. We don't want "an app on top of the media player".. we want WHATEVER TWO APPS WE WANT TO SELECT at the same time and their positions. i.e. just like it had been since the beginning of (Tesla) time.

Also note that "browser" isn't one of the app choices to load on top of the media player.

Most of the time I will run the (front) camera on top, and the browser with abetterrouteplanner or Tesla Nav on the bottom.

Thanks for nothing, Tesla (again).

Yup. Just as I suspected. More f*****upedness. We don't want "an app on top of the media player".. we want WHATEVER TWO APPS WE WANT TO SELECT at the same time and their positions. i.e. just like it had been since the beginning of (Tesla) time.

This may be a case of "be careful what you ask for, as you may just get it." (Look at the title of this thread.)

We are getting more than we asked for, but not really what people wanted. And then there was the petition:

As a result of the much anticipated Tesla v9.0 software upgrade to our vehicles, owners all across the internet and in person are being extremely vocal about their dissatisfaction on the lost ability to Split Screen Pair: Camera/ Music/ Energy/ Calendar applications on our vehicle user interfaces. The ability has been 'downgraded' to only provide Navigation and pair with one selected application at a time.

You will notice that Tesla is actually doing what was asked for in the petition that ~500 people signed. (Browser wasn't mentioned.) Well, actually Tesla included the Phone app that wasn't requested...

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Hopefully Tesla will add the browser to the list that can be at the top, and that anything, including Nav, can be on the bottom not just the media player.

But do we need to coordinate another petition that makes the request exactly what is desired? (Is this a quick stop-gap with more planned, or is this all they planned on doing?)

As I feared, Tesla was asked for XYZ because ABC, and Tesla said "hey let's implement AYQ." Le sigh. It sounds like an improvement, don't get me wrong! But it's weird that #1 in order to make something unrelated to the Media Player happen, you have to have the Media Player open. And weird that #2 instead of forcing just maps, they're effectively (if you want to use another app in the top) forcing maps AND MUSIC.

They need to just allow whichever two apps the user selects, as @HankLloydRight says. As I had for almost 6 years. C'mon, Tesla - just a bit more work to fix it completely, instead of this odd brain-dead hack.

Anyway, if anyone updates, please post photos or preferably video like someone posted a while back! I actually wonder if it's just being very poorly communicated. I mean they really had to do extra work to make it only work with certain apps and only if you make sure to open Media Player first; why would they do that? Did they really?

BTW I presume this "suggest lane change" thing (which sounds useless) is only on AP2? (Forgive my ignorance; I have a classic Model S and my other half has a Model X with AP1.)

Thanks for the info & link, @Leong1234!