Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is true. It's like those fables where you get three wishes that all come true, but with disastrous side effects. You get... exactly what you asked for! That being said, as a programmer, I virtually always start out a new change request with a discussion. Users often don't have well-formed ideas of what they actually want. That's not condescension - it's a deceptively difficult job to figure out. Since Tesla really fails at interactive customer communication, well, you can't expect too much.

Meh as a developer like you (who actually sees the problems in what's requested and discusses them), IMHO I can expect just enough - i.e., better. ;) But yeah, I've worked with people who're literal and just do what's requested. The worst is when the request's poorly written, the dev isn't familiar with the specific data/feature/issue/whatever, and the dev's literal-minded. :eek: But management's asleep on the job if that's what's happening, and more savvy devs should intervene/help clarify things if needed.

/rant/ramble/sorry

Don’t think I’ve seen any mention about yearly service in this thread. I had been planing on doing my 2nd year annual service in December. I haven’t installed V9 yet. If there hasn’t been a significant change in V9 I will bypass the yearly service as I assume they will push V9 on me. I have no plans to install V9 in its current state.
That's my plan too. I'm not sure what services it will need, but it's not going to get them until they fix the UI. Alignment is probably one of them. I haven't hit any big potholes since my last alignment. Filters. I'll do those myself.

You can probably get an alignment done at most up-to-date alignment shops.
I was told, during a test drive, that the suspension was serviceable by third party mechanics. Of course that doesn't mean it's true, but I haven't ruled it out yet.

I got another software upgrade notice yesterday. Of course I didn't install it, but my car was doing some strange things after I got the notice. Maybe this is Tesla's way of telling me I need to install it. The navigation froze up a couple of times and I had never seen it do that before. That was just before I got the install notice. Almost like my car was downloading it over it's cellular connection while I was driving.

When I got to my destination I summoned the car forward a foot or so after I parked. I walked away and went inside the restaurant which was 200' away. From the restaurant I noticed my headlights and windshield wipers were still on. I opened the phone app and it showed the car was unlocked. I locked it with the app, but the car stayed on. I went back out to the car to see if maybe one of the doors didn't get shut all of the way. Doors were all completely closed. The radio, HVAC, and the displays were all on. I unlocked and locked it a few times with the fob and the car stayed on. I got in the car and the binnacle display said that the car was off. I stepped on the brake and put it into drive and then back to park. After that the car functioned like it was supposed to. I had never experienced anything like that before.

I got another software upgrade notice yesterday. Of course I didn't install it, but my car was doing some strange things after I got the notice. Maybe this is Tesla's way of telling me I need to install it. The navigation froze up a couple of times and I had never seen it do that before. That was just before I got the install notice. Almost like my car was downloading it over it's cellular connection while I was driving.

It probably did download the update while you were driving, and the next step is for it to validate that the file is complete and not corrupt which uses a lot of CPU and will cause nav/music to stutter.

Last edited:
I was told, during a test drive, that the suspension was serviceable by third party mechanics. Of course that doesn't mean it's true, but I haven't ruled it out yet.

When I got to my destination I summoned the car forward a foot or so after I parked. I walked away and went inside the restaurant which was 200' away. From the restaurant I noticed my headlights and windshield wipers were still on. I opened the phone app and it showed the car was unlocked. I locked it with the app, but the car stayed on. I went back out to the car to see if maybe one of the doors didn't get shut all of the way. Doors were all completely closed. The radio, HVAC, and the displays were all on. I unlocked and locked it a few times with the fob and the car stayed on. I got in the car and the binnacle display said that the car was off. I stepped on the brake and put it into drive and then back to park. After that the car functioned like it was supposed to. I had never experienced anything like that before.
I've seen that happen. I only noticed because my audio book was playing still.

Well, looks like after Miguel Icaza complained, they fixed *my* use case but not everyone's. That's sort of pathetic. What's worse, however, is that they haven't actually rolled out even that fix yet. I'll keep an eye here to see when the ".42" release becomes standard, since I absolutely can't update until it does.

I wish I had waited until it became standard. I updated Saturday thinking they were rolling out .42, and I've been driving on .39 since. It's as bad as you think it is!

Please cite your legal expertise in the field of automobile accident liability in the United States and the precedent(s) that indicate manufacturer responsibility for non-driving vehicle features.
I have none. I suspect that there could be some in the first days following a drastic change to the way the automobile operates, changes that are foist upon the driver with no warning or explanation. However, after some time is passed, I imagine the driver would either have become accustomed to the changes or stopped driving the car. So...anything I might have suggested in the early times, no longer applies. Happy?

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
Many of us use this layout; camera on all the time, and media player (or energy app) on, no map needed.

Messages from Tesla indicate that they are breaking this in "version 9" of the software by forcing the map to cover half the screen and only allowing one other app to be up at a time.

This is a petition from Tesla Model S owners.

Tesla: Don't make this change -- it constitutes damage to our cars, by removing valuable functionality. We demand that Tesla retain the ability to have the camera and media player apps up simultaneously, and we request that they maintain this in future versions of the software. If you do not retain this functionality, we demand permanent warranty support for cars running the older (full-functionality) version of the software.

Anyone who agrees, please add your name and whatever other identifiying information might be useful. We can also discuss how best to send this message to Tesla (who are notoriously poor at listenting to customers).

Nathanael Nerode
Tesla Model S owner since 2013

2018.42.2 features the camera window on top IF the media player is active. Camera window is positioned 1/2 inch lower than version 8, unless you successfully raise it a bit higher. Calendar, Energy, Camera and Call can all appear above the Media player, but only if the media player is at 1/2 or 1/4 screen size. If the media player is at 3/4 screen size, only the navigation map is above the media player.

The Charging and Web screen cannot be displayed with the media player. You can enlarge the web screen, but not as tall as version 8.

The previous posts where I mentioned using two fingers on the menu icons no longer applies. You can swipe up on the app icon to activate the last app selection. The larger media player will no longer show up behind an app window at the bottom as in early V9 versions. (While you can swipe/raise the camera view over the large media player window, it won't stay in place at the bottom. Raise it to the top instead.)

Enjoy the improvements!

Last edited:
Went for a drive. Took a photo of what we are stuck with at this point.

IMG_20181030_083209.jpg

Went for a drive. Took a photo of what we are stuck with at this point.

View attachment 348364

Haha.

In their defense, prior to V9, you couldn't run nav, the camera and the media player on the screen at the same time, so this isn't really a step back (a little step back, I guess since the camera is about an inch lower).

But it's a missed opportunity: it would be great if I could have the camera on top, the shrunken media player at the bottom and the nav centered between the two (or rather biased towards the bottom so you get to see more of the road ahead than behind).

I actually really like the shrunken media option, but it's a shame I'll never use it since it'll move the camera down to low for me.

I just got the .42 update.
I applaud Tesla for responding with an update so fast. However, it is just a patch and is a bit buggy. You can, see a bit of traffic at the top, camera and media at the same time. Which I guess is 3 apps.

One thing that is odd is, you can't have camera on top and phone at the same time. In fact, an incoming call doesn't change the UI to accept or reject on the Screen.
Why the need for Media to be dedicated? Do people watch audio waveforms while they drive? I'm pretty sure they select and then listen with their ears! SMH. What a waste of screen real-estate! Camera and Nav are realtime, relevant info for driving.

I just don't get today's UI designers.

But it's a missed opportunity: it would be great if I could have the camera on top, the shrunken media player at the bottom and the nav centered between the two (or rather biased towards the bottom so you get to see more of the road ahead than behind).
You know the IC displays (behind the steering wheel) for power, trips, nav, and media? I'd love those representations, just like they are, roughly that size, on the main screen, each taking 1/4 of one of the two split screens. It would be high-density, but there's nothing wrong with that.