Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only just found this thread. Add me to the list of petitioners of course!

One question, as I've not the time to read the whole 25 page thread. I'm still using v8. Has v9 been updated such that the rear camera view can be positioned on the upper half of the UI? Having it restricted to the lower half is so obviously less safe.

Thanks

One question, as I've not the time to read the whole 25 page thread. I'm still using v8. Has v9 been updated such that the rear camera view can be positioned on the upper half of the UI? Having it restricted to the lower half is so obviously less safe.

Thanks

They have, but only if it's "docked" on top of the Music App. So with the camera on top you only get music at the bottom half, nothing else. Plus you have to reset the positions every time you get in the car. If that's not a problem with you then go for it, but overall V9 still needs a lot of work.

Reactions: Micalith and Behind

Thanks
You can have the camera or maps, but not both. They've pasted it on to the music app, so you have to have that up all the time if you want the screen at the top. I'm so unhappy I asked for my M3 deposit money back. And they got an earful.

Reactions: Micalith

Thanks

if I knew then what I know now about version 9 I would have never updated. I would have hung on until The bitter end till maybe the car started not functioning properly before I updated. saying version 9 needs a lot of work is like saying we only need a little bit of dirt to fill up the Grand canyon. It's terrible don't even know how it got out of the gate and off of someone's drawing board. Though probably works great in a model 3 but not so much in Model S or x

if I knew then what I know now about version 9 I would have never updated. I would have hung on until The bitter end till maybe the car started not functioning properly before I updated. saying version 9 needs a lot of work is like saying we only need a little bit of dirt to fill up the Grand canyon. It's terrible don't even know how it got out of the gate and off of someone's drawing board. Though probably works great in a model 3 but not so much in Model S or x
It seems as if the developers don't actually drive.

They have, but only if it's "docked" on top of the Music App. So with the camera on top you only get music at the bottom half, nothing else. Plus you have to reset the positions every time you get in the car. If that's not a problem with you then go for it, but overall V9 still needs a lot of work.

You do not have to reset the position every time you get in the car. If you leave the camera and the media player visible, that view will be retained between uses of the vehicle.

Reactions: dgpcolorado

Thanks all for confirming that. I might not mind it actually. My usual is rear cam view on top, music below anyway. The Tesla navigation is so bad that I hardly ever use it. It has tried to take me over closed mountain passes in the middle of winter and through meandering back streets where slightly more miles on main roads would have been faster and more economical. It seems to have improved a bit recently, but still doesn't compare to Waze. Real shame you can't have cam on top plus others than music.

I guess I now have to decide whether its worth it for satisfying my curiosity for the other new Dashcam and Blindspot features

Last edited:
I think the team that put this release together was called Tesla Interface - Single User eXperience project.

Ya, and their mission will not be complete until it's possible to ignore the instrument cluster console completely because all the stuff shown there is moved to center console... somewhere... you'll just have to swipe, scroll, hunt, peck, flick, and find it.

And their motto is, "We're not happy if it's too easy!"

Their default action is to "delete that pesky function if every car can't do it".

Any votes for V6? I liked that. I still think it was the easiest to read. The depth and shadows aided contrast. It just made sense.

Version 6 is absolutely beautiful. The skeuomorphic design made the software feel premium and easy to use, whereas version 9 makes it feel cheap and non-intuitive.

If only I could downgrade to version 6/7, just like how I downgraded one of my iPhones to iOS 6 (the last iOS version to use skeuomorphic design).

As a reminder to all: Please send a detailed email to [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected]

The more people who do this the faster crap will get fixed.
After you posted this I sent emails to each of your links. I got a reply back a couple of weeks ago. Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent:

Hello ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. We are forever working on making everything better and faster for everyone to enjoy. Here is a link is a link to our Tesla Support page with everything that the version 9 offers, a few of the cool features on the new update are,
  • For Model S and Model X, the Controls and Settings panel has been reorganized to make things easier to find.
  • For Model S and Model X, climate has been redesigned to be more compact and easier to use.
  • For Model S and Model X, navigation now provides more information about upcoming turns, including highway exit information.
  • For Model S and Model X, the new application launcher is located at the bottom of your touchscreen and brings all your apps together into one place, including your Calendar, Energy, Web Browser, Rear View Camera, Phone and Charging apps.
Discover Software Version 9.0

Not updating to the new version 9 firmware, some of the features on your vehicle may not operate the same, which is why we recommend to keep an open mind with our updates. Eventually every Tesla will need to be on version 9.

Unfortunately reading forms can be helpful at times and you can have a strong community there, however forms can be made by anyone and are not always the best source for information.

I hope this email finds you well. If you have further questions or concerns, feel free to email or call us with the number below.

Best regards,

Tesla Support

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 12/31/2018 7:29 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Please fix UI

I’m still on Version 8 waiting for you guys to fix Version 9. Everything I’ve read about the V9 “upgrade” sounds horrible. Please quit making fart apps and make the UI for the MS and MX at least as good as V8 or better. Please don’t downgrade my car after only two years of ownership.
-⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡

Sent from my iPhone
servlet.ImageServer

Reactions: KArnold
After you posted this I sent emails to each of your links. I got a reply back a couple of weeks ago. Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent:

Hello ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. We are forever working on making everything better and faster for everyone to enjoy. Here is a link is a link to our Tesla Support page with everything that the version 9 offers, a few of the cool features on the new update are,
  • For Model S and Model X, the Controls and Settings panel has been reorganized to make things easier to find.
  • For Model S and Model X, climate has been redesigned to be more compact and easier to use.
  • For Model S and Model X, navigation now provides more information about upcoming turns, including highway exit information.
  • For Model S and Model X, the new application launcher is located at the bottom of your touchscreen and brings all your apps together into one place, including your Calendar, Energy, Web Browser, Rear View Camera, Phone and Charging apps.
Discover Software Version 9.0

Not updating to the new version 9 firmware, some of the features on your vehicle may not operate the same, which is why we recommend to keep an open mind with our updates. Eventually every Tesla will need to be on version 9.

Unfortunately reading forms can be helpful at times and you can have a strong community there, however forms can be made by anyone and are not always the best source for information.

I hope this email finds you well. If you have further questions or concerns, feel free to email or call us with the number below.

Best regards,

Tesla Support

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 12/31/2018 7:29 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Please fix UI

I’m still on Version 8 waiting for you guys to fix Version 9. Everything I’ve read about the V9 “upgrade” sounds horrible. Please quit making fart apps and make the UI for the MS and MX at least as good as V8 or better. Please don’t downgrade my car after only two years of ownership.
-⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡

Sent from my iPhone
servlet.ImageServer

Maybe we should supply them with a link to this thread :)
version 9 doesn't excel at anything in any way over version 8 other than just displaying a map of "all the time" otherwise I find it less intuitive and more difficult to use in almost every way.

Reactions: am_dmd