Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to force Tesla to come up with a retrofit for AutoPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are NEVER going to do a RETROFIT.

It's never going to happen.... just for the liability reasons alone.

A retrofit is never going to be as good as the real thing and thus problems could occur and that's the last thing you want to happen with Autopilot.

New sensors requiring new bumpers, new quarter panels, new windshield... and autopilot requires new electronic, low latency braking and possibly changes to other low latency systems.

Not going to happen. Sell your car and buy a new one. That's how everyone else does it.

So now we are into namecalling, huh? Are these "greedy and stupid" people asking for a free retrofit?

What's wrong with this place.

Exactly, are there any mods here? Yes, I will sign the petition. I am glad somebody started it. As with everything else, unless people are directly impacted, they are just ignorant. Why does it bother some forum members that there is an ongoing petition. You don't like it, don't sign it up - it's that simple. Calling other members names is not acceptable.

Well these types of things were bound to happen once Tesla started selling to "mainstream" consumers and broke away from the enthusiast. It very well may be the future of this site.
YES! Is it valid to refer to "sales people"? I believe that "sales" is avoided. Doesn't "lied" slander?
"Force Tesla" to do something?
OH my goodness. Lets settle down people.
~Larry

There has to be some definitive date that Tesla unveils new updates or models.

And the people who's cars commenced production or took delivery the day before will unknowingly buy an outdated product.

This is the downside of not issuing upgrades by model year and instead putting them out there as soon as they are ready.

Legacy automakers make major changes at pretty regular intervals from four to ten years with mild updates no sooner than annually.

I think this rapid progress-obsolescence is part of the deal in becoming a Tesla owner.

If you must have each major iteration and are not swimming in it don't buy until right after they make a major upgrade.

Next one is probably a much higher kWh rated battery.

Exactly, are there any mods here? Yes, I will sign the petition. I am glad somebody started it. As with everything else, unless people are directly impacted, they are just ignorant. Why does it bother some forum members that there is an ongoing petition. You don't like it, don't sign it up - it's that simple. Calling other members names is not acceptable.

Isn't this the dictionary definition of a "1st world problem"? NO ONE was affected by it. Is your Model S any less awesome? No it isn't.

This happens. Products get improved. You have the most amazing car in the world. It still is. Nothing that happened on the 9th changes any of that.

A retrofit is never going to happen.

There has to be some definitive date that Tesla unveils new updates or models.

No there really doesn't. The D doesn't make the other Model S's any less awesome.

If you really want the new features... then sell or trade in you current model, or you can continue to enjoy your Model S for 4 more years and bathe in it's awesomeness and then upgrade to the newest Tesla which will be 1000x better than the D that was just released.

Products will always improve. There will always be something better.

I am not going to sign the petition, but I do think Tesla needs to evaluate how it communicates to perspective buyers. I am happy with my purchase, but I will say this, I had MULTIPLE Tesla sales people tell me that AWD would be retrofit-able when I was working with them to purchase my car. I had a feeling it was going to come out sooner rather than later, but I am an instant gratification kind of guy, so I would have probably bought the RWD anyways, given that there is another 6 month wait for S60D from now.

However, I do feel for these buyers that missed out on the autopilot features by just a few days based on just luck. I was one of the "lucky" ones that got the ionizer for free, but compared to the AutoPilot features, no one really cared that much. I get that CI has its advantages, but it does hit depreciation pretty hard for some people who already have an outdated 2-day old car. It's hard to say "suck it up" to people when you are spending 100+K on a car that is outdated already...in a big way!

I don't know about the calculation, but I do agree that a robust and fair trade-in program will go a long way to address the unhappiness that we are seeing. Retrofits are not a sustainable model.

Retrofit for major features sets a bad precedent with the more significant upgrades that are going to be released in the coming months and years. It is going to be cheaper to sell the car and buy a new one. How much did the parking sensor retrofit cost? The sensor retrofit will probably cost 3-4 times that. Why are people asking for a retrofit knowing the number of system components and sensors involved?

I think people will be better off petitioning Tesla for a equitable CPO type program where Tesla buys back older cars at a reasonable cost so an owner can buy a newer Tesla. I hope all those who are clamoring for a retrofit see how it is less expensive to trade in and buy a new car as long as Tesla offers a reasonable evaluation along the lines of what they do for their inventory cars.

I think Tesla should get ahead of his before this spirals out of control.

Does anyone object to me starting a petition with Dell?

15 years ago, the laptop I bought cost $4K and wasn't as powerful as the one I bought last year for $600!

You don't even get what the issue is here. If you bought your Dell laptop yesterday and today Dell announced a better laptop for the same price, I am sure Dell will give you a refund or do something to make you happy.

Retrofit for major features sets a bad precedent and more than likely it is going to be cheaper to sell the car and buy a new one. How much did the parking sensor retrofit cost? The sensor retrofit will probably cost 3-4 times that. Why are people asking for a retrofit knowing the number of system components and sensors involved?

I think people will be better off petitioning Tesla for a equitable CPO type program where Tesla buys back older cars at a reasonable cost so an owner can buy a newer Tesla. I hope all those who are clamoring for a retrofit see how it is less expensive to trade in and buy a new car as long as Tesla offers a reasonable evaluation along the lines of what they do for their inventory cars.

I think Tesla should get ahead of his before this spirals out of control.

Tesla is handling the trade-ins for Model S's but so far the offers are pretty low (as would be expected for a trade).

If you do not mind, Please post your trade in offer from Tesla so we can compare note

Retrofit for major features sets a bad precedent and more than likely it is going to be cheaper to sell the car and buy a new one. How much did the parking sensor retrofit cost? The sensor retrofit will probably cost 3-4 times that. Why are people asking for a retrofit knowing the number of system components and sensors involved?

I doubt most of the people signing the petition have any idea about the number of system components and sensors involved. If they did they wouldn't be asking that a retrofit be made available.

You don't even get what the issue is here. If you bought your Dell laptop yesterday and today Dell announced a better laptop for the same price, I am sure Dell will give you a refund or do something to make you happy.

But where do you draw the line? It's a slippery slope. Same day? 1 week? 2 weeks? one month? two months? a year?

You got exactly the car you paid for. It's still an awesome car.