TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Petition to Overturn Dealership Franchise Laws

Discussion in 'News' started by Curt Renz, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

2. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

+1 from me.

3. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

4. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Active Member

Thank you for posting this! Signed!

5. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Signed ... but these are state laws that need to be dealt with, not federal.

7. PeterW

PeterW Member

signed

- - - Updated - - -

I do not think Elon is keen on having to fight the battle dozens of times at state level

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/04/16/elon-musk-tesla-could-go-federal-with-franchise-dealer-fight/

8. Majerus

Majerus Member

9. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

Very bad idea. State franchise laws are not the federal government's bailiwick. Let's not federalize everything.

When a state screws up too badly you can move to another. It's much harder to leave the USA. The IRS will follow you anywhere in the world.

Anyway, I'm too old to move to Australia.

10. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

If there is a federal law about interstate commerce, it trumps state law.

- - - Updated - - -

+1

Here's the text I used on my FB posting to share this petition with my friends:

11. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

#11 SCW-Greg, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    Bonnie and Bobw are right. This is a state by state business commerce issue, that and we really don't want to federalize everything.

Yet I understand the desire to make it simple in ending this absurd stranglehold.

Edit: Meanwhile I did vote, number 50. Got 99,950 more to go. Need spouses, aunts, uncles, parents, brothers, sisters, friends, neighbors and more to help this out though.

12. Majerus

Majerus Member

At a certain point the little battles in each state need to an end, As Elon was quoted "if we're seeing nonstop battles at the state level, rather than fight 20 different state battles, I'd rather fight one federal battle." I would have to agree with Elon, therefore I signed the petition in hopes that a federal mandate would end the small law suits that keep showing up on green vehicle websites.

13. ModelX

ModelX Member

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Signed. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be real tough to hit 100K sigs by May 16th... :(

15. Jonathan Hewitt

Jonathan Hewitt Active Member

Signed (#67) and shared on facebook. I will be trying to get all my friends at work to sign it,probably later this week when it's a higher number so they actually feel like it's going somewhere. (sheep affect, right? haha)

- - - Updated - - -

In response to those saying it's a state issue...Even if that is true, if we can get a huge number of signatures it sends a message to the states what the people want and it can sway their opinion, perhaps?

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

To those saying it's a state issue, it's not. There is no justification and it's protectionism at work, with the rent-seeking dealers and other linked businesses the only ones gaining. As long as a manufacturer's product meets safety standards and consumer rights are protected there is no need to require a middle man as states like Texas do.

I've signed.

17. childressmd

childressmd Member

18. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I agree with @ItsNotAboutTheMoney; the restrictions on interstate commerce imposed by these varied state regulations is squarely in the wheelhouse of the Interstate Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution, IMO. The current franchise dealer laws largely contain the following requirement, albeit sometimes dressed up to make it less apparent: "Only Texas businesses can sell cars in Texas." Can someone explain to my why Congress doesn't have the authority to sweep that restriction on interstate commerce away?

I can't think of any other industry where a manufacturer of a product is per se prohibited from selling that product to consumers. Prescription drugs and medical devices come close, but there's a legit health & safety argument there.

19. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I'm Gretzky #99!

20. action7981

action7981 Member