Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to Overturn Dealership Franchise Laws

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Federal level can always sweep the porch clean but it ain't gonna happen here. Really only one state, Texas, has a blatant stance. It will of course be left to Tesla to fight this one state at a time. Concerted state efforts by hundreds of Tesla owners, for example, if directed at committee members responsible for latest restrictive legislation, will prove much more effective. In CO committee(s) slipped thru an 'easy score' while no one was looking last year. Well, they're looking now!! If every Tesla owner in CO would write to the committee members responsible, that pressure would indeed be felt by the politicians. Such a marginal force could be decisive come next election. Pissing off hundreds of (rich) letter writers is not something pols want to do.
--

Looks like Elon is now onboard!!

New Picture.png

Today at 10:30 ET there were less than 100. So I think less than four hours on day 2 and 350 signatures is probably a good sign. In fact I think 300+ have been since Elon's tweet about 50 minutes ago.

We're at 533 signatures at the moment. The recent rate is about 235 signatures an hour. The rate required to hit 100,000 in time is about 139 signatures an hour so there's definitely hope- even if it just increases linearly :)

I signed it yesterday and forgot to reply here. It's cool to see Elon tweet about it, hopefully it will help the word spread. FWIW, I sent an email to a handful of friends asking them to sign it and link to it via FB and Twitter so their associates see it.

I'll sign but it won't do any good. The only way for this to become a Federal Case is for Tesla to sue a state for interfering with Interstate Commerce. Once that happens it becomes a federal issue and will need to work its way through the courts. The dealers would have a lot to lose if that happens as there would be a good chance that the courts would strike down these franchise laws and then there would be precedent that would eventually topple all of the dealers across the country. That being said I believe some of the laws might stand. I believe the ones that could stand are the laws that prohibit manufacturers from competing with a franchise in a given market but those are probably tenuous as well.