Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to remove Ohio unfair hybrid/electric vehicle registration fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In your EV how are you now paying road taxes?
I am not, and consider this an incentive for people to look at EVs. As I said above I don't mind paying my fair share, but if I average our family distance driven in the last 5 years and assume an ICE car with 30 mpg than makes less than $120/year in tax. The $200 they charge seem too much and made to discourage people from EVs. Wondering who benefits from that...

Indiana implemented something similar...I probably only drive 10k miles a year and my road tax essentially doubled. Not only that, I traded in my model S for a X mid year and was charged the EV fee twice. How does that make any sense?

-Michael

Wonder how the equation changes if you look at what the average driver pays in road tax rather than looking narrowly at your low annual mileage and comparing to a high efficiency car?

There is no simple means to bill EVs for a road tax and any mileage track measure will cost a bunch to pay more people.

Is it a perfect system, no, but is is a cost effective means to collect some road tax from EV buyers, yes.

And if the $80 difference between the $120 you think you should pay and the $200 you will is that big a deal, then shame on you for buying a Tesla with such a fragile financial footing.

Money to pay for roads has to come from somewhere and eventually you run out of "other people" to pay your bills.

Reactions: Thp3
I am not, and consider this an incentive for people to look at EVs. As I said above I don't mind paying my fair share, but if I average our family distance driven in the last 5 years and assume an ICE car with 30 mpg than makes less than $120/year in tax. The $200 they charge seem too much and made to discourage people from EVs. Wondering who benefits from that...

They are only following what other states have done and honestly, just looking to increase road tax revenue some. Heck, if it would get the Interstate through Dayton fixed, I'd pay for it. I live in Georgia!

I personally understand the need for a road tax but I do not think charging more in registration fees is the solution for EV drivers. I think they should just tax Gas more and more as a way to offset losses from people switching to EVs and also as a way to convince more people to buy them. Then once EVs are the majority they can have some other solution. Maybe have some Electricity tax go towards the roads or something like that.

• Disagree
Reactions: PLUS EV and Thp3
I personally understand the need for a road tax but I do not think charging more in registration fees is the solution for EV drivers. I think they should just tax Gas more and more as a way to offset losses from people switching to EVs and also as a way to convince more people to buy them. Then once EVs are the majority they can have some other solution. Maybe have some Electricity tax go towards the roads or something like that.
It is great to tax the other guy.......till you are the other guy.
Those that purchase a Tesla even a model 3 are doing well. Median household income was $61k in 2018, probably aren't buying even a used Tesla on that.

I am willing to be most crying about "overpaying" $80 vs what they feel might be equal for road tax are just fine with taxing those who make more than them.....

Gas taxes are regressive, the family making $30k a year probably drives a neglected beater that gets poor economy due to neglect and still has to drive to a job. Let's make sure to make them pay more for their gas so the family that is making $100k plus a year doesn't have to "overpay" $80 in road tax for their EV.

Making the other guy pay is great, till you realize we are all the other guy to someone.

Wisconsin did the same thing, I just write the check and shrug it off, owned the car I think two years before the price hike went into effect, I paid no road tax for my use of the roads those years.

Reactions: Thp3

How would YOU propose YOU paying the road tax? Adding it to the registration fee is very simple thing. Although the details can make things different, you probably aren't paying increased registration fees, you are just having to pay the EV Road Use tax at that time.

Sure it bites that I pay more than a big SUV does. But I save so much everywhere else.

Reactions: SSedan
Personally, for lots of these things like this, I'd prefer they just adjust the rules so that everyone follows a new set of rules that is consistent for everyone.

EVs are coming along and no longer paying their "fair share" of the road taxes via gasoline purchases? OK, cancel all gasoline taxes at the pump and charge EVERY driver a flat fee on every vehicle that is tagged for the road. If you don't like a flat fee, have every vehicle have a mileage inspection every year and charge ALL vehicles based on their mileage, possible corrected for gross vehicle weight. Whatever it is, just make it consistent for everyone.

People that install solar panels on their roof aren't paying their "fair share" of the grid maintenance fees? OK, instead of adding a fee that just applies to just the people that install rooftop solar panels, bump the base grid connect fee for ALL users up to whatever they claim the base fee needs to be and reduce the per-kWh rates to something where the average consumer that is not on solar pays the same price. The add-on fee that solar users in some states pay is MORE than my electricity bill was BEFORE adding solar.

In cases like this where some new class of people aren't paying their fair share, it feels a lot better to just adjust the rules for ALL people, not just the EV drivers or solar panel owners or whatever new group of people is targeted by a tax. If you adjust the rules for everyone, "them's the breaks". If you target the new group of people with a new tax/fee, you have people like the OP feeling like they are being unfairly targeted. If there was no gasoline tax in OH and all cars paid a flat $200/year fee on their license plate renew for "road tax", you aren't being targeted because you are driving a EV. Hard to get something like this to happen, especially since a lot of that gas tax is at the federal level, but something they really should consider.

There is a some logic here. The same goes for hybrids... As more and more people switch to hybrids and EV, demand for gasoline drops, which should reduce gasoline prices.

If you don't like a flat fee, have every vehicle have a mileage inspection every year and charge ALL vehicles based on their mileage, possible corrected for gross vehicle weight.
That's what I've always thought most fair, miles times weight.

My assumption (with plenty of anecdotal evidence) is that heavier vehicles cause more degradation to roads.

Everybody is thus paying "their fair share".

There is simply no way a flat amount added to registration fees is fair or commensurate with what any one user actually owes.

note 1: California already has mandatory vehicle inspections. States without that would be creating a new bureaucracy, not something I favor.

note 2: I'm not suggesting states weigh vehicles, just use the weight on the purchase documents.

note 3: Since Teslas are linked to Tesla servers no actual visit to an inspection station would be needed if the state could query the mileage database by VIN.

There is a some logic here. The same goes for hybrids... As more and more people switch to hybrids and EV, demand for gasoline drops, which should reduce gasoline prices.

And my state panicked as gas prices dropped. It seemed as if they had part of the tax as a percentage and the price decrease severely impacted revenues. I think that they fixed it with a per gallon tax.

I would like it to be same for all vehicles. If EV's have to be charged X dollars for road tax at registration, charge that for all vehicles and remove the gas tax. Otherwise it looks like special treatment. Especially with the way most states decided to do it at the same time it looks like some special interests got involved. Find a way to make it uniform for everyone who's using the road.

Right now EVs are too small a portion of the whole to really restructure anything.

Beside I will state it again if you drive a Tesla you are doing better than average and I bet a lot of you are all for taxing the "rich" well a lot of folks even within this country see you as rich.