TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Petition to rollback 5.8s suspension behavior modification at high speeds

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by jasona, Nov 19, 2013.

1. jasona

jasona Member

#1 jasona, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    I'm here to start a petition to roll back 5.8s suspension update. In Elon's on words pulled straight from the Tesla blog post : The Mission of Tesla | Blog | Tesla Motors
    I for one feel there is a better chance of a Sharknado endangering my life than my model s and because of that I'm staring this petition. If I'm alone in this feeling so be it, but I don't want my car to be held back to satisfy the paranoid delusion of a misinformed public. My request to Tesla is to rollback this modification immediately. Just to be clear this is more to stand up and say we believe in the safety of this car than the feature itself. If you agree with me reply on this thread, each reply I'll count as a signature so make your message count. In a few days time when or/if this thread has grown to a large enough size I'll submit this to Tesla in person in printed book form for all to read.

2. antochat

antochat Pearl White P85

I am with you on this one, why should we all have to lose a feature we paid for to appease the press and the paranoid? I'd like my low setting back please.

3. deonb

deonb Active Member

+1

But there is no chance this will happen. "immediately" in Tesla speak is 2 months anyway.

If you want to petition anything, petition Tesla to be more transparent to owners about future changes BEFORE they happen.

4. highedu

highedu Member

We are getting the option to control the behavior in January..not sure this is worth it since we will have the option come January...I vote against the petition.

5. deonb

deonb Active Member

Since the most number of road trips in the year is taken during Thanksgiving and Christmas... yeah, it's worth it right now. We're not talking about reducing road trip abilities in January and getting it back in March. This is a bad time of the year for that to happen.

Also, from a PR perspective, do you really want 15'000 people showing up at Thanksgiving dinners all over the country being miffed at Tesla? (Or at least have to make excuses for it?)

(I still don't think anything will happen, but it's not unworthy).

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I'll wait till January to upgrade then.

7. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I still think this is a programming error. The actual suspension height is different for all the levels now (higher), but I believe the speeds at which the suspensions change is still a unit conversion programming error and was not intentional.

8. SteveH

SteveH Member

I don't necessarily agree with their decision to stop the car from lowering at normal highway speeds, but now that I know it will be addressed in or around January, I can live with it until then. No petition necessary; I'd rather just let the story die.

9. Right_Said_Fred

Right_Said_Fred Model S - Sig. 283 EU

Actions like this are only fudder for the media and keep the fire (non-)issue in the press for too long.

10. eepic

eepic Member

Short term I agree this will be ugly, but I think it's the right move to take the initiative and take steps including asking the NHTSA to investigate. Six months from now we'll all be laughing about this, and future fires won't be as hyped by the media.

With regards to the lowering, I think the decision to raise the suspension is to further reduce the small likelihood of another fire in the next couple of months regardless of cause, another blow would really hurt. However, I completely agree this should have been communicated with owners prior to it being rolled out.. unfair for those trying to squeeze those extra few miles.

11. Enadler

Enadler Member

Guys cool down. Let this play out. NHTSA will confirm that MS is the safest car going. You will get your control in January and all will be fine. Just sit tight for a while. No need to overreact. The press just love this stuff. I can just see the headlines now. Tesla owners rebel against TM safety update. Don't feed the beast (the press).

12. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Wow.
    So everyone is up in arms about media overreaction to fires but then ready to storm Tesla HQ whining about a relatively insignificant potential drop in range due to a higher suspension setting? Mirror, mirror on the wall??

Drama Queens! I think this annoys me more than anything else I've read. You waited how long for the freakin' car? You can wait until January for the update. Take a step back and have a little perspective. It's nitpicking like this that only serves to convince outsiders that MS owners are self-absorbed rich people who can't abide not getting their way-- and no one wants to be associated with that. These attitudes will ruin electric cars' mainstream acceptance faster than price increases or fires. First world problems, I tell ya....

13. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I understand where you are coming from but I have issues. Why should ANYone have to wait until January for something they already owned, bought, and paid for? Something I paid for has been taken away from me without my knowledge or permission. There was no communication. Nothing in Release Notes. It was slipped into an update that virtually EVERYONE wanted to stop vampire drain, thus almost assuring that it would be immediately implemented. It was pushed early on the weekend so the furor would somewhat subside by business on Monday. No, I'm sorry. This was just wrong! Wrong on many levels and I am very disappointed. Call me a drama queen if you'd like but my confidence in Tesla has been seriously shaken.

14. Electric1

Electric1 Member

If I believed that January was real, I would agree that it is not worth making a big deal, but after the radio storage, visor lights, and sunscreen I have a hard time trusting that this change will actually happen. The aforesaid items, which were important to me in my purchase decision, to a greater or leaser extent and are not forthcoming and are taking some of the luster off of my "fanboyism".

15. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Totally agree. the change is a stop gap measure. So long as we can reenable in a month or two, what's the big issue. I think the long term and big picture issues make this stop gap change very reasonable. Just wish it had been announced prior to being forced upon us.

A petition to change something Elon's already announced that will be changed is just a petty annoyance.

16. eepic

eepic Member

As I stated before, I agree with the fact this should have been communicated prior to the update. However, Tesla is trying to make a decision for the best - before they can fully implement, test, and rollout user control of the height, they want to ensure that they are doing something immediately to address the risk of debris damage. Given some owners may prefer a higher default ride height and some the extra bit of range prior to January, it's hard to keep everyone happy. Also, it reduces the small chance of another incident in the coming weeks that would prove to be a continued distraction for everyone at Tesla which could directly affect the level of care they can put into their products and service.

17. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

Where's the petition?

18. RoverS

RoverS Banned

i think this is very important.

19. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

Health and continued success of TM is in all of our best interests. That should be the barometer for how we react.

20. bob_p

bob_p Member

Because there is increased risk at the lower setting, would be reasonable for the default setting to prevent lowering, and changing it to automatically lower would require confirmation, similar to the message that comes up when selecting the range mode for the air conditioning system - a brief warning that the driver understands the low setting could increase risk of hitting objects in the road.

Then, they could add an indicator on the dashboard showing the current height - a reminder when the car is in motion at low, high or very high. Another cool aspect of this is that when the car automatically lowers or raises, this indicator confirms to the driver that the car has transitioned to a different height...