Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to unlock full Autopilot in EU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of interest what is different about Autopilot in the UK/Europe than it is in the US?

I read that Summon can only be used to move the car forward and back in the UK (not to drive to where you are in a car park), but is there anything else that's different?

I read that Summon can only be used to move the car forward and back in the UK (not to drive to where you are in a car park), but is there anything else that's different?

NoA requires the driver to initiate a lane change using the indicator. In the USA the lane change will take place unless the driver acts to stop it.

Neither of which are on vanilla Autopilot. They are both part of EAP or FSD, only the latter I believe will get enhanced summon?

hopefully EAP will get advanced summon in UK,however not sure I would like to try it in a Tesco car park on a Sunday lunchtime.

13A4D8C3-96C7-4270-819A-237BCCCBED35.png

I wholeheartedly disagree. I use NoA every day driving from home to work. It's a joy. Most of my journey is on the motorway. It handles lane changes and exits really well and autosteer handles queuing/slow traffic perfectly.
Well, you must be doing something I'm not (or vica versa). I keep getting random phantom braking, sometimes at dangerous times (e.g. when half back to the centre lane after an overtake and with someone coming up fast behind), and have had several times when the aurtosteer grabbed the wheel from me for no apparent good reason.

Well, you must be doing something I'm not (or vica versa). I keep getting random phantom braking, sometimes at dangerous times (e.g. when half back to the centre lane after an overtake and with someone coming up fast behind), and have had several times when the aurtosteer grabbed the wheel from me for no apparent good reason.

You may have the follow distance for TACC set quite high, this will often result in braking when lane changing into a slower lane with traffic in front of you.

I'm happy with the way it performs, no phantom braking and certainly no attempts to take control in an unexpected manner.

You may have the follow distance for TACC set quite high, this will often result in braking when lane changing into a slower lane with traffic in front of you.

I'm happy with the way it performs, no phantom braking and certainly no attempts to take control in an unexpected manner.

What setting do you use for TACC? Just wondering which works best in your experience, 3, 4, 5 car lengths?

Isn't lane change abort also down to poor implementation?

On NoA, I would rather the car do all its checks, then signal when safe, then manoeuvre rather than start signalling when I initiate the change, then it wait to do its checks for clear lane, then start manoeuvre when safe.

This would much reduce the times when car is signalling for lane change whilst waiting for a gap and people flash you to let you out, but car just sits in lane and driver feeling guilty for ignoring one of those rare occurrences when someone actually lets you out into a moving line of traffic.

Reactions: drewpost
No it's not, in EU it does EXACTLY what the regulations say ans this is dangerous in how it has to be implemented.

I disagree with above. Some of the examples mentioned in video as being a problem are poorly implemented.

Whilst my comment about not starting to indicate are possibly caught (final paragraph), the following are just two examples where the car is performing worse than the regulations stipulate.

• Off ramp manoeuvre - car is reporting steering limited below speed calculated as within regs for the curved offramp. From observation and commentary, the car appears not to be following a smooth curve, instead it is stepping around the curve. This may account for the vehicle exceeding lateral limits when travelling below calculated speed. Worth noting that the speed is similar to that of the vehicle it is following. Commentary says that it could be better done.
  • Abort of lane change part way through a manoeuvre due to timeout. I would argue that in most circumstances, the car should be able to predict that it could not complete the lane change within the time period and thus abort the lane change prior to starting the manoeuvre and preventing a potentially 'dangerous' and confusing half hearted effort.
Personally, the only issue that I have is that driver initiating the manoeuvre starts the indicators and starts the clock running. Whilst one could argue that "activation of direction indicator lights by deliberate action of driver" implies no timing of when indicator turn lights are activated by driver action on steering stalk and thus, "driver initiates manoeuvre by turn stalk, when safe, car activates indicator lights, wait 1 second, start lane change etc", the regulation "shall start immediately after a manual activation by the driver of the direction indicator to the intended side for the sane change" is more strongly tying the drivers action (via turn stalk) to activating direction indicator (turn lights) as a potentially inseparable entity.

imho

Last edited: