Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pets, property, atmospheric pressure, Gandhi, sheriff stars and princesses.....Oh my!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And for the record, you'd be the criminal. You're not defending your property. You obviously weren't there at the time it happened (or there wouldn't have been an issue). It would be retaliation. That's not considered defending property.

Conveniently, since he said he already called 911, the police would have arrived right about then.

Really? If I walk towards my car and see some guy leaning in a busted window, I have no right to defend my property? You're kidding yourself.

Last edited:
Quotation-Camillo-Mac-Bica-life-day-human-killing-Meetville-Quotes-209377.jpg

Suggestion: we've heard pretty much all sides of the argument and come a lng way since the original thread about Model S....How about let's not all try to educate each other when we have differing opinions, but maybe accept that some folks have different opinions and hope that all folks use enough common sense not to mistreat any animals?

Dude, if you broke the window on my car, I don't give a crap. I'd beat the living hell out of you (in defense of my property), and I'm sure other car owners would do the same. If the police were to get there I'd be sure to have you arrested for vandalizing my property. I'd pursue you to the fullest extent of the law and defend my own actions equally so.

You'd be a criminal. You'd have broken into my property and I'd have a right to defend it just as much as if you had broken into my home.

Give me a break the animal is not worth the jail time.
and you'd go to jail for attacking a person.

Nah, he wouldn't be a criminal. He'd be a human being, doing what is right. And the law would protect him.

Can we stop this chest thumping now?

I don't think he is trying to act high and mighty he is just advocating displeasure over the prospect of someone breaking his window. Which is more than just the cost of repairing the glass. I have had my glass taken out by a BB gun before (in another car... not my MS) and it was a huge pain to get it repaired... the first one didn't go well, it didn't sit on the rails correctly, and had to be taken back... the second one... same thing... so finally the shop replaced it with a piece directly from Honda, which... mostly worked, but by that point something must have gotten messed up in the switch because it would sometimes not go down when I pushed the button. So all of this equated to time lost, hardship from lack of a properly working driver's window (seems inconsequential until you realize how much you use it... or at least how much I use it), on top of the actual monetary loss of the glass itself.

On the flip side... dead dog, likely would leave an unpleasant smell and would be a huge inconvenience too... So, I would never choose either option, I would ensure a dog in my care was properly handled to avoid it even being a choice.

Further, the cost of a piece of auto glass is probably going to be more than the cost of most dogs ("free to good home!").

depends on the dog...

I don't think he is trying to act high and mighty he is just advocating displeasure over the prospect of someone breaking his window. Which is more than just the cost of repairing the glass. I have had my glass taken out by a BB gun before (in another car... not my MS) and it was a huge pain to get it repaired... the first one didn't go well, it didn't sit on the rails correctly, and had to be taken back... the second one... same thing... so finally the shop replaced it with a piece directly from Honda, which... mostly worked, but by that point something must have gotten messed up in the switch because it would sometimes not go down when I pushed the button. So all of this equated to time lost, hardship from lack of a properly working driver's window (seems inconsequential until you realize how much you use it... or at least how much I use it), on top of the actual monetary loss of the glass itself.

On the flip side... dead dog, likely would leave an unpleasant smell and would be a huge inconvenience too... So, I would never choose either option, I would ensure a dog in my care was properly handled to avoid it even being a choice.

depends on the dog...
You can (usually) repair a car. You can't repair a corpse. AFAIK.

depends on the dog...

I'd imagine everyone would be upset about having their window broken. Not everyone would physically assault the person without at least talking to them first.

You have a right to ask him what he's doing and call the police but not to attack him without cause. Do you handle many situations with violence?

I would immediately and forcefully pull him from my vehicle, push him to the ground, and do my best to keep him there until I was able to contact the authorities and they arrived, even if this meant that the man needed to be rendered unconscious. If the man presumed he had done nothing wrong I would assume he would tell me so after I planted him on the ground before making it to the getting knocked out part.

There is no politely asking someone, "Excuse me, why have you broken into my car?" That's nonsense. I'm not letting a criminal get away with that if I lay eyes on them in the act!

You can (usually) repair a car. You can't repair a corpse. AFAIK.

True, and I am not even going to begin to claim that you can directly replace a pet, since no two animals are exactly the same. But if the owner didn't care enough to keep the animal in a safe condition I don't think they care enough about the sentimental value of the dog. And again, I think this goes back to, it not being your dog, so you don't have a direct sentimental value to be lost (dogs die every day, just like humans, I would be forever sad if I dwelled on either prospect).

Calling the police - OK.
Breaking the window? I would leave that call to someone else. If the glass is cracked (even just a little) you can fit some kind of jimmie in there to pop the handle open. Worst case the alarm goes off, which at that point, it would have anyway when you broke the glass (or at least should have). I only mention this, because there was a recent-ish news story about a trapped dog in a hot car, and someone was about to break the glass when another more thoughtful individual just used something to open the locked door through the slightly rolled down window.

This situation separates the thought process between crazy person and reasonable human who just wants to keep the dog alive.

If I saw a dog in a locked car on a hot day, who appeared to be in acute distress, this is what I would do:

1. Quickly attempt locate the owner (but not spend more than a couple of minutes doing this)
2. If the owner could not be located, call 911
3. If the dispatcher refused to send a unit, or if the response time was going to be a long time, I would break a window on the car.
4. I would be ready and willing to pay for the window and get ticketed or cited if it looked like I had used poor judgment or over-reacted.

All of this would be tempered by my assessment of the situation, i.e. whether it was 70 degrees or 95 degrees, the apparent condition of the dog, etc. There is no way that a piece of auto glass trumps the life of a dog. Morally, dogs are not just property.

thank you GlennAlanBerry. As a Buddhist, and animal lover I agree with your statement for many reasons.

1) you have assessed the situation before making a blanket conclusion (smash window or ignore)
2) you have made that decision using compassion for the animal
3) you are accepting the consequences of that decision

of course, this is also Bonnie's response, we all need to use a little common sense, and not jump to conclusions, and make the decision we feel is best.

and I agree with moderators, that it is time to let this topic go

Last edited:
Dude, if you broke the window on my car, I don't give a crap. I'd beat the living hell out of you (in defense of my property), and I'm sure other car owners would do the same. If the police were to get there I'd be sure to have you arrested for vandalizing my property. I'd pursue you to the fullest extent of the law and defend my own actions equally so.

You'd be a criminal. You'd have broken into my property and I'd have a right to defend it just as much as if you had broken into my home.

Give me a break the animal is not worth the jail time.

Wrong! We have trial by jury in criminal cases both in Canada and in the States. If you "beat the living hell" out of me for rescuing your dog, you'd be the one on trial and you better select judge alone because, as you can tell from this thread, you'll be jailed if tried by your peers.

Now, if I am charged for breaking your window (which would never happen), with just one dog owner on the jury, I walk (they'd never retry a mistrial over this nonsense).

NEXT! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and PS, I'd also sue you civilly and own your Tesla (my wife needs one)... ;)

Mod Note: when everyone is asked to let it go and agrees to do so, why the need to come back yet again and try to provoke things? It's a rhetorical question, no need to answer, and yes, I left -ve reputation for trying to prod people again.

[sigh...]

Status
Not open for further replies.