Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E 2nd meter billing????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, for those that have PG&E in California and installed a 2nd meter for EV charging, how long did it take you to receive your first bill? I had it installed March 29th, 2013 and have been using the hell out of it (4,300 KW on the meter already), and have not received a single bill. My regular home bill hasn't changed and no separate bill for the EV meter.

I'm not complaining, but if they bill me after 1 years usage, that's gonna be a high PG&E bill.

Thanks!

I did a remodel about 10 years ago that required shutting off the gas service and moving the gas meter (this before smart meters). PG&E failed to bill me for the new gas service for about 4 years! Once they discovered their error, they were legally limited in the amount of back billing they could do - can't remember if it was 6 months or 1 year. So don't remind them.:biggrin:

Hmm.. Maybe I will have your luck. 8 months and no bill with the smart meter. I did a search and one individual didn't receive his bill until 6 months later. It will really make my cost of ownership alot cheaper with free electricity. :) Thanks for the FYI.

I did a remodel about 10 years ago that required shutting off the gas service and moving the gas meter (this before smart meters). PG&E failed to bill me for the new gas service for about 4 years! Once they discovered their error, they were legally limited in the amount of back billing they could do - can't remember if it was 6 months or 1 year. So don't remind them.:biggrin:

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for the 2nd meter?

Permit, 2nd panel (125 amps), 2nd pole with weather head, with all the wiring (110v outlet, 14-50 outlet, wiring for HPWC (100 amp) inside wall) cost me roughly $1.4k. ($135 permit, $700 supplies, $600 labor). PG&E didn't charge me for anything. The supplies would be slightly cheaper if I didn't add more outlets to the EV panel.

It took about 2-3 months... And another month or two of weird billing before it settled. Of course, after the city's inspection was complete, I had to notify PG&E, which is where the delay came from. Did you notify PG&E that the work is complete? They should also charge you a one-time meter fee (I think it was $50 or $100) at the time.

Hmm... I didn't notify them. I assumed the city would let them know that it is all complete. After everything was finaled, PG&E came out and changed out all the transformers on the street to accommodate the extra load and pulled a new line to my house. That was 6 months later after I finaled. They installed the meter, so I assume they know it was finaled since it past all the inspections. Otherwise, I presume the city wouldn't give the meter release "ok" to PG&E? I was also charged the $100 one time meter fee too.

It took about 2-3 months... And another month or two of weird billing before it settled. Of course, after the city's inspection was complete, I had to notify PG&E, which is where the delay came from. Did you notify PG&E that the work is complete? They should also charge you a one-time meter fee (I think it was $50 or $100) at the time.