TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

PG&E 2nd meter billing????

Discussion in 'California' started by pimp-boy, Nov 15, 2013.

1. pimp-boy

pimp-boy Member

Hi, for those that have PG&E in California and installed a 2nd meter for EV charging, how long did it take you to receive your first bill? I had it installed March 29th, 2013 and have been using the hell out of it (4,300 KW on the meter already), and have not received a single bill. My regular home bill hasn't changed and no separate bill for the EV meter.

I'm not complaining, but if they bill me after 1 years usage, that's gonna be a high PG&E bill.

Thanks!

2. Kraken

Kraken Member

That's what I'd expect... Net metering works similar too.

3. pimp-boy

pimp-boy Member

How long did it take you to receive your first bill?

4. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I received my bill for the EV second meter on the next billing cycle, been on 2 meters for 4 months.

5. dennis

dennis P85D

I did a remodel about 10 years ago that required shutting off the gas service and moving the gas meter (this before smart meters). PG&E failed to bill me for the new gas service for about 4 years! Once they discovered their error, they were legally limited in the amount of back billing they could do - can't remember if it was 6 months or 1 year. So don't remind them.:biggrin:

6. Kraken

Kraken Member

It's a once per year bill for me... Different situation though

7. pimp-boy

pimp-boy Member

Hmm.. Maybe I will have your luck. 8 months and no bill with the smart meter. I did a search and one individual didn't receive his bill until 6 months later. It will really make my cost of ownership alot cheaper with free electricity. :) Thanks for the FYI.

8. 808inthe510

808inthe510 Member

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for the 2nd meter?

9. pimp-boy

pimp-boy Member

Permit, 2nd panel (125 amps), 2nd pole with weather head, with all the wiring (110v outlet, 14-50 outlet, wiring for HPWC (100 amp) inside wall) cost me roughly $1.4k. ($135 permit, $700 supplies, $600 labor). PG&E didn't charge me for anything. The supplies would be slightly cheaper if I didn't add more outlets to the EV panel.

10. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

It took about 2-3 months... And another month or two of weird billing before it settled. Of course, after the city's inspection was complete, I had to notify PG&E, which is where the delay came from. Did you notify PG&E that the work is complete? They should also charge you a one-time meter fee (I think it was $50 or $100) at the time.

11. pimp-boy

pimp-boy Member

Hmm... I didn't notify them. I assumed the city would let them know that it is all complete. After everything was finaled, PG&E came out and changed out all the transformers on the street to accommodate the extra load and pulled a new line to my house. That was 6 months later after I finaled. They installed the meter, so I assume they know it was finaled since it past all the inspections. Otherwise, I presume the city wouldn't give the meter release "ok" to PG&E? I was also charged the $100 one time meter fee too.