Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Charging - Solar and EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what I found out regarding the old TOU rate plans ... E-6 can be closed to new customers on any date beginning January 1, 2016.
It's likely to be March, and has to be no later than June, but there are no guarantees and no requirements for PG&E to give any advance notice.

PG&E Residential Time of Use Rates Changes Coming November 11th, 2015

http://luminalt.com/2015/11/11/pge-residential-time-of-use-rates-changes-coming/

“Upon the first day that Schedule E-TOU-A and E-TOU-B become available for enrollment in 2016, Schedule E-6 shall be closed to new customers.” – PG&E Settlement Agreement in A.13-04-014 adopted last week by the CPUC. PG&E will be ending its solar friendly E-6 and E-7 time of use (“TOU”) rate schedules in 2016 and launching new TOU rate schedules. See the bottom of this post for a comparison of E-6, E-7 and the new E-TOU-A hours. The new E-TOU rate schedules are expected to be less beneficial for solar customers. For an explanation of how TOU rates work with solar, click here.

The exact date has not yet been set for the launch of the new TOU rates. We do know it will be in early 2016 and no later than June 1, 2016. We also know that you will not be able to go on E-6 once the new TOU rates are available to customers. That means you need to be on E-6 before the new TOU rates become available. In other words, when the new TOU rates go into effect, it will be too late to switch to E-6.
Those on E-6 before the new TOU rates go into effect will be allowed to remain on E-6 until January 1, 2023. If you are on E-6 you can stop reading this. Should you switch to E-6 before it closes?

If you are not on E-6 and have a solar system or will be installing a solar system in the next year, now is the time to decide whether you should change your rate schedule to E-6.
E-6 is the most common time of use rate schedule for solar customers and is the most beneficial rate schedule for many who have solar. It may, however, not be the best rate schedule for you. Call PG&E at (800) 743-5000 to discuss your rate options and decide whether moving to E-6 is the best option for you.

Important information for those on E-7. E-7, a solar friendly TOU rate schedule which has been closed to new customers for a number of years, will be eliminated. PG&E will migrate customers on E-7 to E-TOU-A. If you are on E-7, consider changing your rate with PG&E to E-6. Customers on E-7 who have submitted an E-6 rate change request one month prior to the date on which E-6 is closed to new customers, will be allowed to move to E-6.

Comparison of E-7, E-6 and E-TOU Hours:

E-7 Hours
PEAK: noon to 6pm Monday through Friday, All Year
OFF-PEAK: all other hours

E-6 Hours
Summer (May 1 through October 31)
PEAK: 1pm to 7pm Monday through Friday
PARTIAL-PEAK: 10am to 1pm and 7pm to 9pm Monday through Friday
plus 5pm to 8pm Saturday and Sunday
OFF-PEAK: All other times, including Holidays

Winter (November 1 through April 30)
PARTIAL-PEAK: 5pm to 8pm Monday through Friday

E-TOU-A
PEAK: 3pm to 8pm Monday through Friday

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that PG&E is not required to notify those who are on E7 that the above is going to happen.
Hard to say how they notify anyone these days. We don't get a paper bill and certainly did not notice anything on the last statement about the E7 plan going away. I did a full scan of our December bill and used March as a search term too and there is nothing stated about E7 going away in March.

If you go to the My Energy website and look at your rate options it clearly states E7 it is being terminated in March. You can then select another base plan. E6 states it will be closed for any new applications after March.

So I called PG&E today just to confirm that the E7 plan was going away and they acknowledged it. They also said they have new plans coming soon and I would get one of those. Could not be specific because the plans were not finalized. I confirmed that I could move to E6 now and then choose one of the other plans later. So I used the online base rate change request and in a few minutes got an acknowledgement that in the next one or two billing cycles I would be moved to E6. Note when doing this it also prompts you that if you switch you cannot go back to E7, which is moot because its been terminated.

So I figure why not move to E6 for a few billing cycles until the new plans come out and then you can decide. If you do nothing now you will not have the E6 option later.

When I was investigating Solar, I heard many different stories about the way PG&E buys back the daytime power. The solar sales rep claims that they pay market rate during the day (roughly $0.36/KWh) and then you buy it back for cheap at night, which multiplies the KWh you generate during the day by a factor of 2-3. However, that seems to be the old net-metering method.

I also heard that you simply get KWh credits during the day to offset your KWh usage at night. Any extra credits you have at the end of the year can be rolled to the next year or "trued up" for $0.03/KWh, which is well below the cost of solar. Therefore, you do not want to over provision your solar system.

I never got a really straight answer from anyone as to which of these scenarios is true. And I did not buy the solar system so I have no actual experience with net-metering. But we did get the Model S and we did switch to the EV rate and our power cost has gone down substantially despite the massive increase in usage. I also moved our pool pumps to run 11pm-7am to take advantage of the low EV rates.

I'm on PG&E in Santa Cruz with solar for the past four years. Yes, you do earn dollar credit based on your rate plan. If you're producing more than you consume during the peak rates, you're banking the dollar amount in peak rates. Later, when you're consuming more than you produce (like overnight), you're spending from what you banked, ideally at the lower rates. This works over the course of the year. You "true-up" at the end of the year and pay the balance. If you produced more than you consumed over the course of the year, you're paid for your excess kWh's at something close to the wholesale rate, something paltry... you don't get paid any excess at the full consumer rate you were accumulating over the year.

I'm on E-6 to maximize the value of what my solar panels can produce during the day, despite the overnight off-peak rates with E-6 not being as low as the EV rate plan. I also opted to put in a system that would overproduce for a while for several reasons: I knew I would be using more of this energy over time as I converted more of my home (and vehicle) energy use to electric, getting off of propane and gasoline. I also know that my solar panels will produce less energy over time, like down to 80% at 20 years, so this initial overproduction will help cover that. The difference in upfront investment wasn't really that much and... it's just really cool to be able to produce enough energy to cover all your home energy use!

Besides the basic, home electrical needs (and mostly LED lamps, of course), my home has a water well pump, septic system pumps, and pumps to pressurize the water. Over time I've converted my home to now be heated (and cooled) by an electric heat pump, dryer converted to electric, went from a LEAF to an electric RAV4 (handling even more of my yearly driving), my girlfriend got an electric RAV4 as well and, as of today, I just replaced my propane cooktop with induction (electric)! All that's left to convert is the water heater still burning propane (not counting a couple of gas fireplaces). As a result, each year my excess production has become less and less and will probably reach zero this year or next.

Besides the basic, home electrical needs (and mostly LED lamps, of course), my home has a water well pump, septic system pumps, and pumps to pressurize the water. Over time I've converted my home to now be heated (and cooled) by an electric heat pump, dryer converted to electric, went from a LEAF to an electric RAV4 (handling even more of my yearly driving), my girlfriend got an electric RAV4 as well and, as of today, I just replaced my propane cooktop with induction (electric)! All that's left to convert is the water heater still burning propane (not counting a couple of gas fireplaces). As a result, each year my excess production has become less and less and will probably reach zero this year or next.

Sounds like we have similar goals. How is the electric heat pump working for your heat? I've been considering a move in that direction. My gas cooktop cutout is an odd shape, so I can't find an induction cooktop to replace it at this point. I'm going to wait until we remodel the kitchen in a few years. Drives me nuts, though.

I want to remind everyone of the discussion on this Forum from a few weeks ago about the fact that the E-7 rate plan will no longer be available after Feb. 29, 2016.

If you are on that plan, you should switch to E-6 by calling PG&E. If you are on E-7 today and don't proactively switch to E-6 by Feb. 29, you will have lost your chance to get on E-6 and will be put on the new E-TOU plan, which is less favorable.

Impressive conversion to electric! I am also curious about using a heat pump.
I have had an induction stove for 8 years. Best cooktop I've ever had. Faster and more responsive than gas, and energy efficient.

Sounds like we have similar goals. How is the electric heat pump working for your heat? I've been considering a move in that direction. My gas cooktop cutout is an odd shape, so I can't find an induction cooktop to replace it at this point. I'm going to wait until we remodel the kitchen in a few years. Drives me nuts, though.

The heat pump works great. It's a Lennox XP17-060 5 Ton. It's an air source heat pump (as opposed to ground source) since I live in a mild climate (Santa Cruz, California) where it's rare to get freezing temperatures. I kept my propane furnace as the backup heat system rather than putting in electric resistive strips. I think my cut-off for the backup is set to 40 degrees Fahrenheit, as per the installer. I haven't been able to find reliable information as to whether it will run well at lower temperatures. Anyway, I love the fact that I can heat (and cool) the whole house and still be completely offset by my solar generation for the year!

And yes, the induction cooktop is fantastic. I only had a couple of choices which would fit my existing cutout but I really like the design of the controls of what I ended up with, the 36" GE Cafe.

You might find this table I put together of cut-out dimensions for 36" models helpful (the third column is cooking power):

Code:
[FONT=Courier New]Miele KM6375          35      19.32
Miele KM6370          34.50   20.375  2500/3850
Miele KM5773          36.125  19.6875    3350/3850
Thermidor CIT365KBB   34.75   19.88   2600/3700/4600
Thermidor CIT36XKBB   34.75   19.88   3600/4600
Bosch 800 Series      34.75   19.88   3400/4500
Bosch 500 Series      34.75   19.88
Bosch Benchmark       34.88   19.88
KitchenAid KICU569XBL 33.06   19.31
  = Jenn-Air JIC4536XB
GE Cafe Series        33.875  19.125  3700, better controls
GE Profile 9036DJBB   33.875  19.125  3700
Wolf Transitional     35      19.5    2600/3700
Wolf Contemporary     35      19.5    2600/3700
Electrolux            35.875  20.375  3700/4800
Bertazzoni            33.875  19.6875    3000[/FONT]

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm definitely on board with the heat pump. I will ask for a price and get the ball rolling on that.

My cutout is 21" deep for my cooktop. Sadly, your excellent table confirms that I'm stuck replacing the cooktop or waiting on a remodel. I'm pretty eager, regardless.

Thanks again!

If I had to chose again I would NOT go with a heat pump. I have split systems in my home since 1987. Prior to that we had another house with a heat pump. If the temp goes below about 45 degrees and you have any measureable amount of humidity, you are going to be spending all of your money on defrosting and heat strips. Plus the heat is not very warm and they are noisey in the areas of the house adjacent to the outside units.

If I had to chose again I would NOT go with a heat pump. I have split systems in my home since 1987. Prior to that we had another house with a heat pump. If the temp goes below about 45 degrees and you have any measureable amount of humidity, you are going to be spending all of your money on defrosting and heat strips. Plus the heat is not very warm and they are noisey in the areas of the house adjacent to the outside units.

Well, perhaps the systems have improved? I don't have heat strips (because I still have my original propane furnace as backup) and while I frequently see high humidity outside (coastal fog in the Santa Cruz hills here), I don't have any trouble with humidity in the house or this defrosting issue you mention. And it definitely blows very warm air.

Noise-wise, I was told that these Lennox XP17 units were the quietest heat pumps on the market. Here's an article I just found on the topic:
http://604goodguy.com/blog/2013/02/08/lennox-vs-trane-vs-carrier-heat-pumps-which-brand-is-best/

Of course the whole point for me was to be able to have my solar generation cover the heating of the house along with everything else. With solar, I'd rather go with electric resistive heating than buying and burning propane or natural gas and the heat pump is much more efficient than any sort of electric resistive heating.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm definitely on board with the heat pump. I will ask for a price and get the ball rolling on that.

My cutout is 21" deep for my cooktop. Sadly, your excellent table confirms that I'm stuck replacing the cooktop or waiting on a remodel. I'm pretty eager, regardless.

Thanks again!

You might find that a unit specifying over 20", like that Miele or that Electrolux will work. They don't require exact cutout measurements. My cutout was about 34.125" by 19" and the GE Cafe specified 33.875" by 19.125". Width wise it was fine, depth-wise I had to push the downdraft unit back an 1/8" to just fit it.

So, I suggest looking more into the models that are close to your cutout size and see if it will work.

Well, perhaps the systems have improved? I don't have heat strips (because I still have my original propane furnace as backup) and while I frequently see high humidity outside (coastal fog in the Santa Cruz hills here), I don't have any trouble with humidity in the house or this defrosting issue you mention. And it definitely blows very warm air.

Noise-wise, I was told that these Lennox XP17 units were the quietest heat pumps on the market. Here's an article I just found on the topic:
http://604goodguy.com/blog/2013/02/08/lennox-vs-trane-vs-carrier-heat-pumps-which-brand-is-best/

I want to add that, in that article, they describe a survey of heat pump installations and find that many were not installed properly. That may well be the case with your two systems. They say that the choice of installers can matter more than the brand or model of heat pump. For example, I had one bid that came in at half the cost of my three other bids but they were making suggestions to address my existing furnace problems I was experiencing that didn't make sense even from a basic physics understanding (later confirmed by others, including my other bidders).

You should consider that solar, while it is generating, displaces whatever grid power you would have been consuming. If your panels are active in the afternoons when time-of-use rates are highest, then the value of your solar power would be highest. Pulling power in the middle of the night at lowest rates ($0.11/kWh for PG&E?) to charge your Tesla makes economic sense and it displaces load on the Grid to slack time, helping to avoid overloading the system during peak usage times.

When I was considering which way to go, I called SoCal Edison and asked the customer service lady to pull my usage from certain representative weeks during the past year (under summer rates and winter rates) to determine whether I would have been better off with basic Tiered Rates billing or Time of Use. It turned out that TOU would have been very slightly cheaper than tiered rates even before adding Tesla charging to the picture.

Now I charge Blue Max at $0.12/kWh during the night instead of pushing my usage into Tier 4 at $0.31/kWh. We also run the dishwasher in Super Off Peak time by using the delayed start button.

Have you compared E-6 to EV A/B rate plans with solar?

I've had solar for 5 years and my Tesla since Apr 2013.

I used E-6 for all but this last year when I switched to EV-A.

As mentioned by others, it is complicated to figure out what you will pay with E-6. On the other hand, EV-A is quite a bit simpler. I took my data from a 12 month period while on the E-6 schedule and made a simple spreadsheet to see what it would cost me on a EV-A schedule for the same usage. For me, it showed that I would save about $100/year by switching to EV-A. So I did.

I only charge the car at night since I'm much better off getting the higher rates paid during the day for my generation and then paying low charging rates.

Your mileage (usage) will vary.