Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Charging - Solar and EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 4kW solar system and E6 is the best for my usage pattern based on My Spreadsheet for PG&E rate comparison

Interesting article posted on InsideEVs today Here's Where U.S. Electricity Comes From

View attachment 108394

Amazing that solar is only 3% of renewable energy.... boy that really puts the upside potential of a Solar City merger in perspective. I have a 7K solar array and I recently switched to the PGE EV rate and my July bill went from $80 in 2015 to a credit of $60 in 2016 and that is with the addition of my Model X. Having a solar powered car is a dream I have had for 30 years.... I am so happy :)

I have a 12 KW solar system and am on EV-A PG&E rate. I charged about 10-11,000 miles at home in the past year. As a example my December, January, and February bills were $297, $326 and $289 my cost on E-1 would have been $419, $468 and $367. May, June and July were $11, -$162 and -$87. E-1 costs would have been $75, -$33 and $-87. At this time of the year I charge the car at night at 11.466 cents per Kwh and they pay me from 24 to 44.4 cents per Kwh when I generate more than I use during the daylight summer hours. So for me the EV-A rate is much better than the E-1 rate.

• Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin
My wife put in a SPA (50 AMP circuit) a year ago and it self regulates during the day, running on an off on it's own, but not a lot. I'm looking into whether the SPA can be programed for time of day (I don't think it can). Are there circuits that have timers?
I would be surprised if your SPA (sold in Calif) cannot be programmed. My 20 year old one can. It's limited to 4 periods a day where new ones have more flexibility and the ability to tailor weekends etc.

Absence of that you could get a inline 240V timer. A bit pricey but probably less than the utility charges.

My only concern about this app is when I tried to visit their homepage it was flagged as a potential phishing webpage when I was on campus... I can't find much information in terms of reviews of the company/app either. And it sounds like it needs to be able to log-in to my PG&E account to work...
You need to give the app your actual PG&E login credentials so it can log in and download the data for you. Personally, I would recommend either changing the password to a temporary one before you use the app then change it back when you're done, or just permanently change your password on the PG&E site after you're done using the app.

Reactions: javawolfpack
I just got billed for my first month entirely on EV-A. It added roughly 120.00 to my bill as I have a young family that needs to run the dryer pretty much all the time (and likes to waste energy otherwise) on top of the Tesla charging for around 4 hours each night (at 24 amps).

I need to do some calculations to see if the standard rate would be less :\

Dunno if it's option for you, but I've switched to natural gas dryer when my kids were little, and laundry was happening at all hours of the day. Made a considerable difference in our electricity usage/bill.

Dunno if it's option for you, but I've switched to natural gas dryer when my kids were little, and laundry was happening at all hours of the day. Made a considerable difference in our electricity usage/bill.
My boss keeps telling me to do that. I have gas pretty easily accessible to the location, but would need to look at dryer costs. I've also thought about moving to a gas oven.

My boss keeps telling me to do that. I have gas pretty easily accessible to the location, but would need to look at dryer costs. I've also thought about moving to a gas oven.
Funny, I've trying to do the opposite. I want to shed my natural gas consumption so that I can replace it with offsetting PV. Water heater and dryer are decent loads, though. The tankless electric water heater we put into our pool house requires 40A on the panel. Add a Tesla charger and you're rapidly chewing up your available service.

The EV-A rate is working pretty good for me.....10kw system (was designed to cover 100% of my house usage, not including the car)....

Here we are in mid August and the Toolkit app calculates my potential balance under E1 as $348 YTD......while my actual balance is -$171 under EV-A. A difference of $519. And I charged my Tesla the entire time! 13k miles since January. So far my Tesla costs less than zero to power....

We didnt do any major changes to our energy use times, we just try to avoid running the dryer until after 9 but we mostly do laundry on the weekends anyway.

Here in Central California its HOT in the summer so we have a lot of AC use in the evenings and at night, but obviously I'm making more than enough power "on peak" with the solar system to offset it.

I think oven/cooktop usage pattern is easier to regulate and I was thinking natural gas too, but now not so sure... With good solar system it might make sense to shift more appliances to electric source, but I don't have yet solar system (will do it in a year or two when my roof gets replaced).
EV-A is a decent plan IMO, but does require some shifting of usage to less common hours or the weekend, as it was mentioned in this thread.

Funny, I've trying to do the opposite. I want to shed my natural gas consumption so that I can replace it with offsetting PV. Water heater and dryer are decent loads, though. The tankless electric water heater we put into our pool house requires 40A on the panel. Add a Tesla charger and you're rapidly chewing up your available service.
The upside, beside cost, is that I might be able to convert my wife to an electric car in the future; we've tapped the available 125 amp load to the house and expanding is not an option (between 30 and 40K) so I was thinking about converting to gas to free about about 50 amps.

I'm also intrigued with the solar tiles from Tesla I just read about (My roof is 40 years old).

If you don't have heavy AC load (or heat pumps in the Winter), EVA is a no brainer. Jury still out for me. Even with 2.5 kW or solar my bills in the summer are still around $150. Some of that could be attributed to the car of course. But you make some pretty big lifestyle changes during the afternoon and evening. For example forget cranking up that big electric oven to cook a pizza and don't even think about running the AC in the afternoon until 9 PM. I try to cool my house to 75F until 2PM and then it's set for 83F. You kind of have to ride out the heat wave so to speak. Sometime on 100F days the AC units comes on anyway for about 10 minutes an hour, especially on the upstairs unit.

For example forget cranking up that big electric oven to cook a pizza and don't even think about running the AC in the afternoon until 9 PM. I try to cool my house to 75F until 2PM and then it's set for 83F. You kind of have to ride out the heat wave so to speak. Sometime on 100F days the AC units comes on anyway for about 10 minutes an hour, especially on the upstairs unit.

That's a bad trade off for me/my family. I'd rather pay I think :(

The upside, beside cost, is that I might be able to convert my wife to an electric car in the future; we've tapped the available 125 amp load to the house and expanding is not an option (between 30 and 40K) so I was thinking about converting to gas to free about about 50 amps.

Wow, 40K for electric service upgrade!
Unless you are using your dryer at night, not sure switching it to natural gas will be affecting nightly EV charging. BTW, obviously, don't know what your load is, but 125Amp service is not that bad IMO for an avg house in Bay Area and charging multiple EVs at night, unless you have some especially high load off peak.

Good luck!

I think it's a perfectly reasonable trade-off. I alluded to it, but the service size limitations are a real problem for a lot of homeowners when it comes to EVs. I have 400A (!) service, which I upgraded from 125A. I didn't pay the numbers you're talking about, but it wasn't cheap ($7k-ish, for the record, and that was because of weird limitations on our property). Even with 400A, we have it split between two buildings on the property and 200A disappears rapidly when you try to replace all of your gas appliances.

Good luck figuring it all out.

I don't know the details, but back in 2013 I heard that PG&E had a $2,500 subsidy available to offset service upgrade costs if you need it for EV charging installation. So, you would have to pay for the larger main panel and installation and the larger conductors pulled to the pole, then deduct $2,500. PG&E never charges residential customers for transformer upgrades that may be necessary for your service. Obviously, this doesn't make much of a dent in a $30k upgrade.

The problem is that the end point is a couple of houses down the road that need to be trenched and sidewalk torn up... 30-40K is the estimate :(

The point of moving to gas to to allow the dryer to run during the day (which my wife insists on) and to also free up some amps for my car or another.

The problem is that the end point is a couple of houses down the road that need to be trenched and sidewalk torn up... 30-40K is the estimate :(

The point of moving to gas to to allow the dryer to run during the day (which my wife insists on) and to also free up some amps for my car or another.
What's your solar potential? It's a bit tricky but PG&E can probably help you here. With enough solar you could offset your load to the grid locally. Then you would just have to upgrade your panel and not your secondaries (which is where most of your costs are coming from it sounds like).

Adding a Powerwall might make this work too so your local load can be higher than your supply load. All of this in combination is possible. You would have to work with PG&E, your local building department and a talented electrician in order to pull it off. But with $30-40k at risk you have a lot to work with.:)

What's your solar potential? It's a bit tricky but PG&E can probably help you here. With enough solar you could offset your load to the grid locally. Then you would just have to upgrade your panel and not your secondaries (which is where most of your costs are coming from it sounds like).

Adding a Powerwall might make this work too so your local load can be higher than your supply load. All of this in combination is possible. You would have to work with PG&E, your local building department and a talented electrician in order to pull it off. But with $30-40k at risk you have a lot to work with.:)

Solar is a good option based on the google tool. Problem is a 40 year ceramic tile roof that will likely need to be replaced in the next 10 year and the lightly hood of us moving over the next 4.