Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E clearance updated with regards to gas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m so scared of PGE to the point that they are essentially like the mafia to me and I have to tiptoe around them making sure everything is in line. Some inspectors do anything they can to block solar installations since they think they’ll lose money (from pension, compensation or retirement) if more houses convert to solar. Their method seems so arbitrary.

I’ll be getting different quotes from companies. I really wanted to go with Tesla since I do like their app and interfaces and powerwalls, but may ultimately have to choose a different one.
Some 3rd party installers have access to the same equipment as Tesla does, but you will pay more for the custom service.

Try Luminalt, they are very good and do work in SF still.

I’m so scared of PGE to the point that they are essentially like the mafia to me and I have to tiptoe around them making sure everything is in line. Some inspectors do anything they can to block solar installations since they think they’ll lose money (from pension, compensation or retirement) if more houses convert to solar. Their method seems so arbitrary.

I’ll be getting different quotes from companies. I really wanted to go with Tesla since I do like their app and interfaces and powerwalls, but may ultimately have to choose a different one.

Lol I wonder if you were reading my posts about PG&E on TMC then ;). PG&E did me super dirty, and I hate PG&E. Originally I was just moderately annoyed by PG&E, but it went to hate-levels when they tried to freeze my 8 month old to "teach me a lesson." And yes, they said PV+ESS hurts their pension and is just a luxury for rich people to shift costs to poor people. So some PG&E folks really hate residential solar.

Any chance you can call PG&E's natural gas folks and see if they can literally move your gas riser and gas meter somewhere else? If the meter can be moved closer to the street (shortening the line) it may not cost much (like way less than the $50,000 to move the electrical service entry).

Reactions: Dave EV
Lol I wonder if you were reading my posts about PG&E on TMC then ;). PG&E did me super dirty, and I hate PG&E. Originally I was just moderately annoyed by PG&E, but it went to hate-levels when they tried to freeze my 8 month old to "teach me a lesson." And yes, they said PV+ESS hurts their pension and is just a luxury for rich people to shift costs to poor people. So some PG&E folks really hate residential solar.

Any chance you can call PG&E's natural gas folks and see if they can literally move your gas riser and gas meter somewhere else? If the meter can be moved closer to the street (shortening the line) it may not cost much (like way less than the $50,000 to move the electrical service entry).
I understand your hatred towards PG&E but just want to make sure you are clear on this, PG&E has nothing to do with pension, it is the union which all the blue collar workers belong to, none of the office workers, admin workers or even software engineers belong to, as a matter of fact, these poor non blue collar workers have to step in when the union goes on strike.

• Informative
Reactions: cali8484
I understand your hatred towards PG&E but just want to make sure you are clear on this, PG&E has nothing to do with pension, it is the union which all the blue collar workers belong to, none of the office workers, admin workers or even software engineers belong to, as a matter of fact, these poor non blue collar workers have to step in when the union goes on strike.

I know PG&E’s pension is fine.

But try explaining that to a T-Man at your house who hates the idea of residential solar. He’s bought into the IOU argument that I’m robbing him of his retirement and livelihood since NEM is forcing people like him to subsidize solar fat cats.

And oh by the way this guy has also told dispatch my house power should be back on and has no clue why I’m desperately calling in 10 times begging someone to turn my power back on.

I know PG&E’s pension is fine.

But try explaining that to a T-Man at your house who hates the idea of residential solar. He’s bought into the IOU argument that I’m robbing him of his retirement and livelihood since NEM is forcing people like him to subsidize solar fat cats.

And oh by the way this guy has also told dispatch my house power should be back on and has no clue why I’m desperately calling in 10 times begging someone to turn my power back on.
That man at your house is a union guy and he is one of those pushing for NEM3, you know that, right?

PGE has say but in this case the violation appears to be that the gas meter impedes the working space of the Service panel.

The City inspector is your largest risk in my opinion, if the city says that they will allow you to add a new breaker to the MSP despite the working space issues, then PGE wont have any more heartache.

Quick update after 6 months - installed a 13.6kw system with 2 powerwalls from Tesla. Confirmed multiple times clearance and gas riser issues with Tesla and they said it was ok. The AHJ did not want to do a courtesy preinspection as @Vines suggested. I had PG&E come out to perform a leak test in the cabinet and they did find a small one but not enough to combust and fixed it on the spot (got me a little worried about future gas leaks...but at least the regulator valve is outside in open area). I also asked the PG&E technician while he was here if there were any issues with the MSP in a closet and a gas riser underneath but he said it was fine to go ahead with solar.

But even during install day, the work was halted for the first hour because the crew lead wanted to confirm with his supervisor that these issues were ok before proceeding and he got the OK to go. All the conduit was tapped into the back of the MSP and on the garage side so no new conduit was placed in the outside area. Today I passed city inspection with the AHJ.

At this point, I should be ok to pay Tesla in full? The interconnection application was submitted yesterday by Tesla to guarantee NEM 2.0 but there shouldn't be any more roadblocks from PGE?

Reactions: Dave EV and jboy210
Quick update after 6 months - installed a 13.6kw system with 2 powerwalls from Tesla. Confirmed multiple times clearance and gas riser issues with Tesla and they said it was ok. The AHJ did not want to do a courtesy preinspection as @Vines suggested. I had PG&E come out to perform a leak test in the cabinet and they did find a small one but not enough to combust and fixed it on the spot (got me a little worried about future gas leaks...but at least the regulator valve is outside in open area). I also asked the PG&E technician while he was here if there were any issues with the MSP in a closet and a gas riser underneath but he said it was fine to go ahead with solar.

But even during install day, the work was halted for the first hour because the crew lead wanted to confirm with his supervisor that these issues were ok before proceeding and he got the OK to go. All the conduit was tapped into the back of the MSP and on the garage side so no new conduit was placed in the outside area. Today I passed city inspection with the AHJ.

At this point, I should be ok to pay Tesla in full? The interconnection application was submitted yesterday by Tesla to guarantee NEM 2.0 but there shouldn't be any more roadblocks from PGE?

Congrats on the install!

Assuming you aren't getting your Powerwalls through the SGIP program, I don't think anyone else affiliated with PG&E will come back to your house. You already had someone there from PG&E to give an initial OK. And presumably, you had another PG&E person / T-Man there the day of the install to do the service disconnect/reconnect.

I believe Tesla expects to be paid in full after passing AHJ inspection. PTO at this point is just a formality.

There is a decent chance PGE comes and does a post-installation inspection before PTO is issued.

• Informative
Reactions: holeydonut
Thanks @holeydonut though I may not be completely out of the woods yet. I didn't get any powerwalls through the SGIP program because I don't think Tesla offers them anymore SGIP since they ran out.

On day of install, there was no PG&E technician to do a service disconnect/reconnect, only Tesla people who turned off the main breaker for several hours while working.

What will cause PG&E to come out before PTO is issued? I definitely don't want to pay Tesla in full only to find out PG&E won't allow PTO. But I hear this is the same with many installers - full payment is required after passing city inspection but before PTO like what @Vines had mentioned before in other threads.

There is a Tesla loan which is much higher rate than the loan I got from my credit union. But with the Tesla loan, you don't make payments until after PTO.

Last edited:
Thanks @holeydonut though I may not be completely out of the woods yet. I didn't get any powerwalls through the SGIP program because I don't think Tesla offers them anymore SGIP since they ran out.

On day of install, there was no PG&E technician to do a service disconnect/reconnect, only Tesla people who turned off the main breaker for several hours while working.

What will cause PG&E to come out before PTO is issued? I definitely don't want to pay Tesla in full only to find out PG&E won't allow PTO. But I hear this is the same with many installers - full payment is required after passing city inspection but before PTO like what @Vines had mentioned before in other threads.

There is a Tesla loan which is much higher rate than the loan I got from my credit union. But with the Tesla loan, you don't make payments until after PTO.

Wow if what Vines says is true... it's too bad you didn't get a audio/video recording of "I also asked the PG&E technician while he was here if there were any issues with the MSP in a closet and a gas riser underneath but he said it was fine to go ahead with solar."

Fingers crossed man... I feel like 99% of PG&E folks will be fine with this since so many folks have laid eyes on it already.

I'm still waiting for PTO. Interconnection application submitted on 3/16. I decided to get a copy of my final building permit by asking the city and submitted to PG&E directly through email and I think it got accepted. Tesla would not submit the final building permit to PG&E for PTO until I paid which I have not yet.

When I called PG&E a few days ago, they said it was still under engineering review and my application was considered complete along with the building permit on 3/22 without any deficiencies. Whether that means they are just calculating the transformers or reviewing the system design/installation I have no idea. If PG&E denies PTO, I don't know what I'm going to end up doing.... There is another option if I switch to a loan from Tesla (which has a higher interest rate than my credit union). Apparently you don't make loan payments until you get PTO and if I never get PTO, I guess I'll never make another payment to Tesla.

I called PG&E to check the PTO status and they said I’ve been conditionally approved to export 12.6 whereas my system is rated 13.6 DC and 15.4 AC. PG&E wants Tesla to submit a new SLD, limit export and also mentioned a possible site inspection.

I can’t believe how much unnecessary stress this is causing a homeowner. Getting solar should not be this difficult. Codes are so subjective and up to interpretation similar to interpreting laws and can also depend on the inspector. Then contractors want payment after passing city inspection but before PTO which I get, but then puts the risk on the homeowner if PGE blocks it. I already tried to ask PG&E and the city for a courtesy inspection before starting my project but both declined. I got multiple quotes and just trusted different solar contractors who all said my main panel location was ok so I ended up going with Tesla. I felt like I did all I could as a homeowner and still have a risk of paying for a PV system and end up with PGE blocking PTO.

@Vines what’s your experience with transformer upgrades with PG&E? Do they do site visits? Am I in the clear for the gas riser? Also the main panel is in a closet which the Tesla electrician said didn’t have minimum working clearances.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
I called PG&E to check the PTO status and they said I’ve been conditionally approved to export 12.6 whereas my system is rated 13.6 DC and 15.4 AC. PG&E wants Tesla to submit a new SLD, limit export and also mentioned a possible site inspection.

I can’t believe how much unnecessary stress this is causing a homeowner. Getting solar should not be this difficult. Codes are so subjective and up to interpretation similar to interpreting laws and can also depend on the inspector. Then contractors want payment after passing city inspection but before PTO which I get, but then puts the risk on the homeowner if PGE blocks it. I already tried to ask PG&E and the city for a courtesy inspection before starting my project but both declined. I got multiple quotes and just trusted different solar contractors who all said my main panel location was ok so I ended up going with Tesla. I felt like I did all I could as a homeowner and still have a risk of paying for a PV system and end up with PGE blocking PTO.

@Vines what’s your experience with transformer upgrades with PG&E? Do they do site visits? Am I in the clear for the gas riser? Also the main panel is in a closet which the Tesla electrician said didn’t have minimum working clearances.
PGE will 100% do a site visit if a transformer upgrade is needed. I cannot say whether they will violate you for any existing conditions, but probably not unless egregious.

The PGE site inspector has all the power to make it go well or terribly. Hopefully, nobody is adding more connections to make a worse condition with regards to gas meter clearance or safety. If you see the PGE inspector, have snacks to offer them.

I cannot say what your experience will be like, but I advise to follow the green book with any new connections or equipment. It sounds like you did that, so great. I also hear that PGE no longer considers a "doghouse" to separate the gas meter from the MSP as an acceptable solution. Dividing the airspace is not enough in their eyes.

However, my experience with PG&E is the field inspector isn't usually looking to be a pain unless you are a pain. The true clipboard warriors have long since been promoted, and most of the ones left get it.

Unfortunately my main panel is in a doghouse closet with the meter underneath separated by a board. Outside of the closet are the gas riser and the relief vent. Theoretically any excess gas pressure is vented outdoors, not inside the closet. Whether or not PGE will deny PTO is still very subjective.

I guess I’m just unlucky - had my system been smaller to not require a transformer upgrade I would probably have PTO already. And I’m assuming if PGE does deny PTO it will be the homeowner cost to bring it up to code, which will be expensive since my utilities are underground and require trenching - something I wish I knew beforehand since it drastically decreases ROI on solar. In my opinion, it should be PGE to front the cost since they’re the ones who approved it 20 years ago.