Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Customers with 3 or more PWs: Interconnection NEM2, NEM2-MT, or NEM2-PS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on Redhill_qk's description of what CRD-PCS means (I didn't read the link), how can the GW2 be so certified when you can enable both "grid charging" and "export everything"? Or does Tesla have the ability on the backend to make those mutually exclusive, and you can request they do so, and then they give you some certification?

Cheers, Wayne
Here is a graphic that shows some of these options.
NEM integrity.JPG

Reactions: holeydonut
BTW PG&E has clarified some of this SNEM vs NEMEXP thing. Changes to their table in red:

SNEM Paired Storage:
PV <=30kw pairs with storage 10kw or below
PV <=30kw pairs with storage >10kw with CRD-PCS and PTO is requested for ESS grid-charge only (zero grid export)

NEMExpanded Paired Storage:
PV >30kw pairs with storage 10kw or below
PV >30kw pairs with storage >10kw with or without CRD-PCS
PV <=30kw pairs with storage >10kw without CRD-PCS

So the reason I got kicked out of SNEM was I had maintained my old NEM2-MT settings which disallowed grid charging but allowed grid export. For SNEM to work with > 10 kW ESS, I have to flip it. So with SNEM, I'd lose the ability to do a controlled ESS export during peak time, but I could grid-charage.

Only @h2ofun gets to do both at the same time because he's cool like that.

BTW PG&E has clarified some of this SNEM vs NEMEXP thing. Changes to their table in red:

SNEM Paired Storage:
PV <=30kw pairs with storage 10kw or below
PV <=30kw pairs with storage >10kw with CRD-PCS and PTO is requested for ESS grid-charge only (zero grid export)

NEMExpanded Paired Storage:
PV >30kw pairs with storage 10kw or below
PV >30kw pairs with storage >10kw with or without CRD-PCS
PV <=30kw pairs with storage >10kw without CRD-PCS

So the reason I got kicked out of SNEM was I had maintained my old NEM2-MT settings which disallowed grid charging but allowed grid export. For SNEM to work with > 10 kW ESS, I have to flip it. So with SNEM, I'd lose the ability to do a controlled ESS export during peak time, but I could grid-charage.

Only @h2ofun gets to do both at the same time because he's cool like that.
I see zero reason to mess with grid exporting, but I sure need grid charging.

I see zero reason to mess with grid exporting, but I sure need grid charging.
Economically, the value benefit of (avoiding 1 kWh of peak grid usage by grid charging 1.1 kWh off peak) is the same as that of (gaining 1 kWh of peak export by foregoing 1.1 kWh of off peak export), since the NBCs are same off peak and peak. (Right? Just double checking).

But as grid export is limited based on array size, it is simpler/safer to go with grid charging, if the number of kWh you are going to shift is comparable either way. Depending on your usage pattern vs your generation pattern, that may or may not be true.

Cheers, Wayne

Economically, the value benefit of (avoiding 1 kWh of peak grid usage by grid charging 1.1 kWh off peak) is the same as that of (gaining 1 kWh of peak export by foregoing 1.1 kWh of off peak export), since the NBCs are same off peak and peak. (Right? Just double checking).

But as grid export is limited based on array size, it is simpler/safer to go with grid charging, if the number of kWh you are going to shift is comparable either way. Depending on your usage pattern vs your generation pattern, that may or may not be true.

Cheers, Wayne

What is the value if you can both grid charge and grid export? Water-dude could be printing money over there. Maybe he's related to Jerome Powell.

In the winter, with my heat pumps going, even though I have lots of solar, its hard to get them recharged. So sending stuff back from the batteries for me makes no sense

I'm thinking more about the ability to arbitrage energy where you buy it at 4am to 9am and sell it from 4pm to 9pm. Infinite money glitch confirmed.

PS, I don't actually want anyone to do this because it'd be wrong.

PSS, I just want 12 solar panels to charge a BEV :( :( :(

I'm thinking more about the ability to arbitrage energy where you buy it at 4am to 9am and sell it from 4pm to 9pm. Infinite money glitch confirmed.

PS, I don't actually want anyone to do this because it'd be wrong.

PSS, I just want 12 solar panels to charge a BEV :( :( :(
The nice thing about so much solar, is I have zero need to export anymore than I do. And I sure love not having to think
about playing games since I lose enough already, which is why having an EV now will make this less loss