Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Customers with 3 or more PWs: Interconnection NEM2, NEM2-MT, or NEM2-PS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They hated me on the last call... this was right after the PG&E SGIP people told me my batteries weren't sized right for my house.

So I had PG&E telling me 2 batteries was sized wrong and too small. Then PG&E telling me 3 batteries was sized wrong and too big. I was pissed.

I doubt the first part, but seriously? They didn't give you anything actionable? e.g. limited discharges, overload, etc.?

I think the first part is true. PG&E hates me and I haven't gone out of my way to make things better with them after their guy told me how much he hated Sunrun and disliked how I was being duped into adding Powerwalls.

On the latter part, they just refused to greenlight my partial home backup solution with 2 batteries. They said solar-only was ok but having 2x Powerwalls was simply not happening. Sunrun never got an actionable item from them other than to remove the Powerwalls from the order because of the 120 percent rule.

I asked Sunrun to re-submit the design with a 3 Powerwall whole home backup solution. This one PG&E couldn't blame on the 120 percent rule since the MSP became a glorified meter socket with a disconnect. But then PG&E's SGIP team said the 3 Powerwall system wasn't sized properly to my solar, and wouldn't grant me the incentive because the system was "too large for my needs."

The only thing I need is to get PG&E out of my goddamn business. I still haven't received approval for SGIP, but they've run out of excuses and loopholes to throw at me. At this point they're just slow rolling me because I suck.

I think the first part is true. PG&E hates me and I haven't gone out of my way to make things better with them after their guy told me how much he hated Sunrun and disliked how I was being duped into adding Powerwalls.

On the latter part, they just refused to greenlight my partial home backup solution with 2 batteries. They said solar-only was ok but having 2x Powerwalls was simply not happening. Sunrun never got an actionable item from them other than to remove the Powerwalls from the order because of the 120 percent rule.

I asked Sunrun to re-submit the design with a 3 Powerwall whole home backup solution. This one PG&E couldn't blame on the 120 percent rule since the MSP became a glorified meter socket with a disconnect. But then PG&E's SGIP team said the 3 Powerwall system wasn't sized properly to my solar, and wouldn't grant me the incentive because the system was "too large for my needs."

The only thing I need is to get PG&E out of my goddamn business. I still haven't received approval for SGIP, but they've run out of excuses and loopholes to throw at me. At this point they're just slow rolling me because I suck.
I thought you had the sgip approval?

I thought you had the sgip approval?

I have RRF. And they have my ICF pending. The AESC inspector approved things and Tesla/Sunrun provided the export data showing the system was live. I also have confirmation from the AESC that all required documentation on their end looks good.

But now SGIP won't respond to Sunrun or my inquiries on status even though it's almost 30 business days since all the things were sent to the PG&E SGIP folks. Sunrun sent an inquiry about my case # and heard nothing back. The status on the SGIP portal just says it's pending ICF approval for 30 days.

So, your post said you were approved, did something change?

Yeah, I ended up on a conference call with Sunrun's PTO team and PG&E's PTO team. We stepped through each of their 5 concerns and resolved each of their issues in denying my PTO from page 1 of this thread.

1) Sunrun paid the higher interconnect fee
2) I had the opposite treatment of @getakey, they forced me to check the box that prevented me from ever grid charging; but instead allowed my system to be an exporting system (in full... PV + ESS). So, my system nameplate had to include both the PV and ESS max inverter amounts for export.
3) State Farm sent the required insurance docs to the address/info on the NEM2-MT form. State Farm says I'm the first ever to need this, and their agent was mega confused lol.
4) I was able to not have the NGOM based on the interpretation of Rule 21 that I just posted in the other thread.
5) Sunrun sent the whitepapers that Enphase IQ7+ and Tesla Powerwalls are UL compliant.

With all of PG&E's attempts to block my system resolved, the guy granted me PTO. At the end we all kind of agreed that all the nit picking of my setup seemed like a poor use of our time. My system was a low-end residential solar installation and they weren't sure why it got escalated to where it needed remediation. The guy who handled the final approval was actually pretty cool. It was the blockers in place that forced my case onto his desk that seems to be the issue.

Sunrun said I'm the first customer they've ever had that required a conference call and a step through to get a simple PV+ESS installation through to PTO. Sunrun has a dedicated PTO team for crying out loud... like people who have a job/career in getting PTO. And they're like "wtf..."

Keep in mind I'm an ignorant/idiot homeowner. I shouldn't be asked to do all this extra work for such a simple install. Normal people simply wouldn't know what to do and would just sit on their hands waiting for experts to make things happen. But what people don't realize is that PG&E has some bad actors who seem to go out of their way to block homeowners. To the extent you have other users here on TMC thinking I'm "BS-ing" about my experience. That's super shady on the part of PG&E. And that's unfortunate that some TMC users simply deny that PG&E could ever act this way. Luckily PG&E is not 100% FUBAR. There seems to be some good people there; and my project made forward progress once I got a hold of the right people each time.

As @jjrandorin indicated, my install had numerous "first time..." issues. And Sunrun is the largest installer by volume in California. And State Farm is the largest residential insurer in California. All the blockers PG&E threw at me are total BS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyguy
Pretty sure @getakey means that under his Tesla App right now, he can evoke grid charging, but he cannot evoke the timed export of stored battery power to the grid.

Unlike @wwhitney who can both grid charge and grid export with impunity.

I can't even invoke grid charging. Storm mode is the only thing that will do that. How do you force grid charging?

Reactions: GuyHall