Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E discontinuing EV-A rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, as it turns out, I have some decent news from PG&E. The wording says that for the purposes of grandfathering, PG&E is to use the earliest PTO on the current tariff. Because installing Powerwalls in May of 2018 required them moving me to NEM2 (NEM-PS), that PTO is the earliest on my current tariff and will be used for grandfather purposes.

More importantly, I was told that for most residences with similar storage (one to two Powerwalls), EV2-A is not an eligible rate anyway, and those on EV-A will not be moved. I asked if this was across the board for storage, and he said it was not, but that it would pretty widely apply. He suggested that those with storage on the EV-A rate plan should call ASAP to clarify. I called the PG&E number provided by @miimura (877-743-4112).

@MikeW, I see you're a long time member but an infrequent poster so I'm not sure if you are frequently lurking. If so, I wonder if the bolded text in my original paragraph would apply to you since you've been moved to NEM2 already. Perhaps because you moved after the rate plan was approved it does not apply. And you didn't mention storage, so I'm not sure if you have that protection or not.

I definitely suggest that those with storage give PG&E a call. I'm good until November 2023..
I just got off the phone with the Solar Customer Service center. They confirmed that the earliest PTO date determines the grandfathering. So, my 5 years were up in December 2017. The rep also updated my Powerwall information in the system (10kW, 27kWh) and then concluded that I would be automatically transitioned from EV-A to EV2-A at my November billing cycle. The rep did not give any information about what Powerwall configurations would prevent automatic transitioning to EV2-A. I am currently billed on NEM-PS with NEM 1.0 rules.

I just got off the phone with the Solar Customer Service center. They confirmed that the earliest PTO date determines the grandfathering. So, my 5 years were up in December 2017. The rep also updated my Powerwall information in the system (10kW, 27kWh) and then concluded that I would be automatically transitioned from EV-A to EV2-A at my November billing cycle. The rep did not give any information about what Powerwall configurations would prevent automatic transitioning to EV2-A. I am currently billed on NEM-PS with NEM 1.0 rules.
Interesting. I am on NEM-PS with NEM 2.0, solar 9.5kW, PW 27kWh. Very similar setup except that I transitioned to NEM 2.0. So my rep's claim that my Powerwall configuration wouldn't be compatible with EV2-A seems inconsistent with your outcome. Very, very strange.

I just spent the evening reading CPUC decisions D.16-01-044, D.17-01-006, D.17-10-018. I couldn't find D.17-02-017 even though it is mentioned in the PG&E EV tariff.

D.16-01-044 page 121 states the following:

IT IS ORDERED that:
[…]
7. In implementing their respective net energy metering successor tariffs, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, Southern California Edison Company, and San Diego Gas & Electric Company must each ensure that every residential customer completing an interconnection application pursuant to the net energy metering successor tariff prior to the date that default residential time of use rates go into effect, is informed of and may exercise the option to maintain their time of use rate at the time of completing their interconnection application under the net energy metering successor tariff for up to five years.

In this context "successor tariff" means NEM2.

Since default residential time of use rates are not in effect yet, it seems like the last sentence above should apply to anyone who got PTO on NEM2 and selected a TOU rate plan at the time should be able to keep it for five years. I guess I need to call PG&E again.

Reactions: ohmman
I just got my 30 day notice that I was being switched from my (NEM1) EV-A plan to EV2-A even though I have a Powerwall 2 in my system. I tried calling the solar customer care number listed above and in my notice, but as PG&E is going into another power shutdown, they are devoting all resources to that program and the message said they will not be able to take any other calls.

Has anybody else had luck resisting the change to EV2-A based on having a Powerwall 2 in the system?

I just got my 30 day notice that I was being switched from my (NEM1) EV-A plan to EV2-A even though I have a Powerwall 2 in my system. I tried calling the solar customer care number listed above and in my notice, but as PG&E is going into another power shutdown, they are devoting all resources to that program and the message said they will not be able to take any other calls.

Has anybody else had luck resisting the change to EV2-A based on having a Powerwall 2 in the system?
We’re you converted to NEM2 upon installation? That would give you a second avenue of defense.

Thanks I don't see any NBCs. What is also strange is that my current estimated True Up is $50, but the rate estimator says it should be $1400 and with EV2-A it jumps to $3000. I am not sure the basis for this discrepancy.

Attachments

• PGE_Charges.png
    PGE_Charges.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 74
  • PGE_RateEstimate.png
    PGE_RateEstimate.png
    341.2 KB · Views: 46
I also got the notice today. There is a fine print: "Customers installing rooftop solar may stay on EV-A for 5 years if their contractor submit the interconnection application by November 30, 2019."

I am thinking of adding a few panels and submit an interconnection application (modifying existing one) before 11/30/19 to extent EV-A for 5 years.

Do you guys think this will work? (I called PG&E and they said yes, but I am still not 100% sure).

I also got the notice today. There is a fine print: "Customers installing rooftop solar may stay on EV-A for 5 years if their contractor submit the interconnection application by November 30, 2019."

I am thinking of adding a few panels and submit an interconnection application (modifying existing one) before 11/30/19 to extent EV-A for 5 years.

Do you guys think this will work? (I called PG&E and they said yes, but I am still not 100% sure).
Neat idea @SongjinDK I am curious if this will work... although I think adding solar to an existing system isn't a value proposition (with EV2-A), adding 1kW (with goal of staying on NEM 1.0) of solar might be worthwhile to extend the EV-A for a few more years. I did get a commitment from my prior installer to get this done at $4.00 per DC-Watt.

Neat idea @SongjinDK I am curious if this will work... although I think adding solar to an existing system isn't a value proposition (with EV2-A), adding 1kW (with goal of staying on NEM 1.0) of solar might be worthwhile to extend the EV-A for a few more years. I did get a commitment from my prior installer to get this done at $4.00 per DC-Watt.

I don't think this will work. You need to be on NEM 2 to qualify for EV-A grandfathering. When I called the PG&E Solar Hotline, they said they use the NEM 1 PTO date instead of the NEM 2 date for grandfathering if you had solar under NEM 1. I don't see where it says that in the CPUC decisions so I sent email to the CPUC Consumer Affairs Branch today asking about it, if I get a response I will post it here.

I don't think this will work. You need to be on NEM 2 to qualify for EV-A grandfathering. When I called the PG&E Solar Hotline, they said they use the NEM 1 PTO date instead of the NEM 2 date for grandfathering if you had solar under NEM 1. I don't see where it says that in the CPUC decisions so I sent email to the CPUC Consumer Affairs Branch today asking about it, if I get a response I will post it here.
I see your point @MikeW . I imagine reporting an additional 1kW isn't truly a *new* interconnection agreement, but simply an allowable adjustment/upsize... so small/minor that PG&E does not need to do any feed-in calculations for their transformers (having enough extra margin/capacity).

I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with PG&E solar department. The lady was extremely helpful. She discussed with her supervisor for 15 minutes and determined that if I expand my current NEM1 system and submit interconnect application by 11/30, I will be grand farthered EV-A for 5 years starting from the PTO of the new NEM2 system (doesn't matter how long it will take to get PTO, I will be converted to EV2-A on 11/30 and convert back on PTO day). The supervisor told her to take a note on this so that they will have a consistent policy for such case (expanding existing solar and convert from NEM1 to NEM2). Just for your information.

The supervisor told her to take a note on this so that they will have a consistent policy for such case (expanding existing solar and convert from NEM1 to NEM2). Just for your information.
Cool. I am in the process of doing the same and have an app submitted now but it needs a bit of correction.

If I fail to get returned to EVA after Nov 1 I will come back to you for names.:)

• Funny
Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
I just called the PG&E Solar Hotline again, and spoke to someone named Nash. He told me that since I installed a solar system and got the PTO last week, that I should qualify to be grandfathered on EV-A for 5 years. He said he doesn't see anything in the rules about prior systems on NEM 1.0, so this should apply to upgrades or new systems that are on NEM 2.0. He made a note on my account about it. He said to watch for the December bill to see that I am still on EV-A.

Reactions: ohmman
I just called the PG&E Solar Hotline again, and spoke to someone named Nash. He told me that since I installed a solar system and got the PTO last week, that I should qualify to be grandfathered on EV-A for 5 years. He said he doesn't see anything in the rules about prior systems on NEM 1.0, so this should apply to upgrades or new systems that are on NEM 2.0. He made a note on my account about it. He said to watch for the December bill to see that I am still on EV-A.
I’m glad you persisted!

If I stay on NEM 1.0 by only expanding by 1kw, can I keep EV-A for 5 year? Or do I have to convert to NEM 2.0?

I tried to call PG&E again, but today they just drop all the non emergency calls. I am wondering if anyone knows this or have already called PG&E and asked about this. Thanks.