Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E discontinuing EV-A rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read over some other EV-A document and it was not clear to me whether the 800% applies to net energy or to total supplied by PG&E before generation credits. Both are tracked in billing. Do you have a pointer to clarify? Thanks.

EDIT-
PS. It seems to me that all people on EV-A (even grandfathered plans) will be subject to the 800% rule after it closes to new subscribers. Is that correct?

Yes, I've been on EV-A since I got my 2013 Model S, got a letter a few days ago saying I've been exceeding 800%, and will be switched off of EV-A. Not much I can do about it, I've gotten things as efficient as they are going to get and due to my circumstances solar won't work.

Yes, I've been on EV-A since I got my 2013 Model S, got a letter a few days ago saying I've been exceeding 800%, and will be switched off of EV-A. Not much I can do about it, I've gotten things as efficient as they are going to get and due to my circumstances solar won't work.
Assuming it is still economical to do so, can you charge somewhere else (e.g. Superchager, public L2 or CHAdeMO charging) to prevent this? Or is the damage done and thus too late?

FWIW, I almost never charge my EVs at home since I have free L2 charging work. Almost every month, I'm within tier 1 for my area on E-6. I can't view the bill that I got emailed about today due to PG&E's account section being down. I've attached this in another forum. Looks like my highest usage in the past 12 months or so (as of 7/11/19) was 308 kWh in a month.

Attachments

• pge-2.png
    pge-2.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 67
  • pge-1.png
    pge-1.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 40
Assuming it is still economical to do so, can you charge somewhere else (e.g. Superchager, public L2 or CHAdeMO charging) to prevent this? Or is the damage done and thus too late?

FWIW, I almost never charge my EVs at home since I have free L2 charging work. Almost every month, I'm within tier 1 for my area on E-6. I can't view the bill that I got emailed about today due to PG&E's account section being down. I've attached this in another forum. Looks like my highest usage in the past 12 months or so (as of 7/11/19) was 308 kWh in a month.

Just have a decent sized home in an area that requires a decent amount of cooling in the summer months. I've already cut usage 65% from when we bought it by switching to 100% LED lighting, but it is what it is. PGE don't care. They need money and will get it with whatever bullshit excuse they can come up with. Where I live I lose power at least 15 times a year too. And it's in the middle of the East Bay, WTF? Feels like I'm living in some developing country.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
^^^
That's a bummer. I live in the South Bay where it can get pretty hot (but not as bad as Walnut Creek, Concord, Livermore, etc.) and I have no central AC at all. I have a "portable" rolling unit that I sometimes use on the hottest of days. Nobody's at home during the afternoon on weekdays, so no cooling needed then.

On hot days, I put box fans in the windows to suck in cooler air in the evening to cool down my room and the house.

If you also have a hot tub or pool, the heating of that and pumps can also be power pigs. I have none of that.

Just got a mail from PGE to inform me that in 60 days, they will switch me from EV-A to EV2-A.

The annoying part is that I have a long commute (110 miles) and I will have one hour less of charging time if I need to leave early in the morning. Hence my charging should be done between midnight and 7am (when I leave usually leave) instead of 11pm to 7am...

Oh and of course, off peak is more expensive because it increases at $0.16 / kWh

PG&E just screwed everyone with an EV and solar since your credits are slashed from Peak to Partial or Off-Peak!

So if you have solar and an EV what's the best rate now?

EV2-A
Costs on the Home Charging EV2-A rate are lowest from 12 a.m. to 3 p.m., every day, including weekends and holidays when demand is lowest, making this the best time to charge your vehicle. Electricity is more expensive during Peak (4 - 9 p.m.) and Partial-Peak (3 - 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. - 12 a.m.) periods. See graphic below for detailed information on EV2-A rate costs and times.

rates-ev2-a-745px.jpg

Last edited:
Just got a mail from PGE to inform me that in 60 days, they will switch me from EV-A to EV2-A.

The annoying part is that I have a long commute (110 miles) and I will have one hour less of charging time if I need to leave early in the morning. Hence my charging should be done between midnight and 7am (when I leave usually leave) instead of 11pm to 7am...

Oh and of course, off peak is more expensive because it increases at $0.16 / kWh

Does it say why they are moving you? I had thought EVA rate plan households were grandfathered for 2 or 4 years unless you consumed 800% more this month than the last year then they kick you out to another ToU for a year and then they move you back to EV2A.

Looks like PG&E is moving everyone on EV-A plan to EV2-A plan. I have solar and EV, so the new EV2-A throws off all my calculations that I did prior to getting solar and EV. Now I will have to review my usage over the next several months to get an idea of how much storage I would need. This will push a lot of people towards evaluating storage options.

I got the same letter, apparently there is no grandfathering. This is such BS...I just installed solar this summer. They’re obviously doing this to make money since many customers are adding solar and they need to find their bankruptcy and lawsuit costs.
It says EV-A is closing in November. So now the question is, is it worth staying on the new new EV2-A or switch to a different time of use plan? Anyone have a spreadsheet that can do some calculations based on solar production estimate and last years worth of usage?

And I encourage everyone to call PG&E and complain, I certainly plan to give them and earful and tell them I may have not even purchased solar couple months ago if this was the case.

Hmm. I missed this in the new EV-A Rate Plan Tariff Schedule. I've attached the latest PDF here

"...
Pursuant to D.17-01-006, as revised by D. 17-02-017 and D. 17-10-018, for grandfathered service, certain solar customers will be allowed to continue service on Rate A of this schedule. Specifically, solar customers that interconnected by December 16, 2016, and elected service under Schedule EV prior to July 31, 2017, are allowed to retain service under this schedule for five years after issuance of the permission to operate, but no later than July 31, 2022. In addition, pursuant to D. 16-01-044, net energy metering customers that interconnected after December 15, 2016 and elected service on Rate Option A of this rate schedule may also continue service on this rate schedule for a period of 5 years from the date the customer commenced service on the NEM 2.0 rate, but no later than November 30, 2025. Existing EV-A customers seeking to commence service on NEM2.0 rate and continue service on EV-A for up to 5 years must submit an interconnection application by November 30, 2019
..."

Basically many of us are screwed... ;(​

Attachments

• ELEC_SCHEDS_EV (Sch).pdf
    447.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: kiwiguy and Ulmo
@zanary the last part of that letter you posted might indicate we can stay on..
“In addition, pursuant to D. 16-01-044, net energy metering customers that interconnected after December 15, 2016 and elected service on Rate Option A of this rate schedule may also continue service on this rate schedule for a period of 5 years from the date the customer commenced service on the NEM 2.0 rate, but no later than November 30, 2025. Existing EV-A customers seeking to commence service on NEM2.0 rate and continue service on EV-A for up to 5 years must submit an interconnection application by November 30, 2019”

Unless I’m misreading, and that’s very possible...I interconnected my solar this summer, so after Dec 15, 2016, and I was on EV-A for the last year and a bit (same as Rate Option A?), so technically I can stay on EV-A for 5 more years, no?

I clearly have to call them, since if I do nothing they will definitely switch me to the new one.

@zanary I'm a little confused by that PDF. It looks like it's part of several different documents. For example the filing and effective dates in the footer are different between pages. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Also, if you look at the time periods on Sheet 4, they seem to correspond to the current time periods of EV-A...I would have expected something consistent with the graphic posted by @kiwiguy upthread.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Bruce
(Who's currently on NEM1 (since 2010) + EV-A (since 2015) with a CCA (since 2018), and trying to understand this all.)

@zanary I'm a little confused by that PDF. It looks like it's part of several different documents. For example the filing and effective dates in the footer are different between pages. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Also, if you look at the time periods on Sheet 4, they seem to correspond to the current time periods of EV-A...I would have expected something consistent with the graphic posted by @kiwiguy upthread.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Bruce
(Who's currently on NEM1 (since 2010) + EV-A (since 2015) with a CCA (since 2018), and trying to understand this all.)
Bruce, this is normal PG&E tariff policy. Each page has its own effective date for the changes that are made. If there is no change to a given page, it is carried over. Changes are highlighted with their wacky legal notation about what is new, increased, reduced, struck out, etc.

I just noticed that he posted the EV rate plan, not the EV2 rate plan. EV2 is here:
https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2 (Sch).pdf

My solar PTO was around November 2012
I took EV-A around December 2015
My Powerwall PTO was April 2018

I think I'm screwed with a 25% to 35% increase, even after I adjust the Powerwall schedule to the new tariff. I will probably have to kiss my NEM 1.0 status goodbye and double my solar or more.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
Thanks for the clarification. Why do you need to give up NEM 1.0?
I can only remain on NEM 1.0 if my solar remains within the larger of +10% or +1.0kW from the original PTO. If I repair or upgrade more than that I have to either pay for dedicated metering for the new solar or move the whole thing to NEM 2.0. Those are the terms in the NEM 1.0 tariff. Absent any changes, I can remain on NEM 1.0 for 20 annual true-ups.

I can only remain on NEM 1.0 if my solar remains within the larger of +10% or +1.0kW from the original PTO. If I repair or upgrade more than that I have to either pay for dedicated metering for the new solar or move the whole thing to NEM 2.0. Those are the terms in the NEM 1.0 tariff. Absent any changes, I can remain on NEM 1.0 for 20 annual true-ups.

Ah, I remember that now, thanks. Somehow I thought you meant that giving up NEM 1.0 was associated with going to EV2-A, rather than the addition of more solar. Clearly it's too late for me to be up, and I should just stop reading TMC and go to bed!

Bruce.

I'm guessing complaining to PGE is pointless. How do we get the PUC to listen? This is ludicrous.. in a bad way ;)
This is part of a General Rate Case that has been in the works for a long time. I think they started it in mid-2017. The PUC has been over this and gave it their blessing, for better or worse. Of course, all the changes like this are for the worse for the customer.

I used to say that you don't need to offset all your kWh when designing your solar. But now, I think you can't rely on TOU differentials to zero out your bill in the long term. PG&E is going to continue to make changes like this in THEIR favor.

This is part of a General Rate Case that has been in the works for a long time. I think they started it in mid-2017. The PUC has been over this and gave it their blessing, for better or worse. Of course, all the changes like this are for the worse for the customer.

I used to say that you don't need to offset all your kWh when designing your solar. But now, I think you can't rely on TOU differentials to zero out your bill in the long term. PG&E is going to continue to make changes like this in THEIR favor.

I ordered my system with the understanding that PG&E couldn’t be trusted, and I sized for 100% December usage.

That being said, they could still raise minimum monthly charges to $30-50, or whatever they want. Even if you plan for utility deviousness, there’s not much you can do about it...