Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E discontinuing EV-A rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
20 years? never heard of that. i might be on NEM1 for 20 years but the EV-A rate is going away and EV-A customers are being forced onto other rates - EV2 is much worse for solar customers than E-TOU-A, so that's where i'll be come nov 2020.

Great articles... thanks for sharing. We are still waiting for the Wallbox Quasar for Tesla. :cool:

Jacobson-et-al-2019-Figure-S1-1200x795.jpg

https://electrek.co/2020/01/06/wallbox-quasar-tesla-nissan/

Quasar is about the size of current Level 2 charging offerings from leaders like Chargepoint, Juicebox, and others. But that box you see above is infinitely more capable than current level 2 charging boxes (which Wallbox also makes).

From the install standpoint, it offers the same 7.4kW (240Vx 32A) of power to your car.
Where it’s different is that it interfaces with the DC charge port of your EV. The one demonstrated below is Chademo and works only with Nissan Leafs and Mitsubishi Outlanders PHEVs currently, but CCS combo versions are being worked on right now. A Tesla version is also being considered but would require Tesla’s blessing. Frankly, Tesla should be building this themselves.

It is so sad, because Tesla could allow integration with Powerwall to run the house... so no need multiple powerwalls. Just 1 plus the car.

In TX, there are nights where the utility gets into negative pricing. Cali gets there in Spring. How awesome if Tesla could take advantage of that rate by charging at an ultra low rate to full (vs normally of maybe 70%?) And, at the same time, allow 10% to be drained to help out the grid during the evening spike (the duck curve).

sorry, I am confused by all the rate plans here. I see the following. Is it good to stay on ETOU plan I have selected?

View attachment 504044

There should be a page that compares the rate plans and gives you a price estimate at the bottom. I don’t know the details for EV2-A vs TOUA. I think it depends on your usage since the pricing might change if you go over the baseline usage with TOUA. I would recommend looking into EV2-A.

1C841EF4-F1B8-4247-ACE5-C409CCA902A5.png

There should be a page that compares the rate plans and gives you a price estimate at the bottom. I don’t know the details for EV2-A vs TOUA. I think it depends on your usage since the pricing might change if you go over the baseline usage with TOUA. I would recommend looking into EV2-A.

That's not E-TOU-A; it's E-TOU-C3 (peak pricing every day). They're moving E-TOU-A customers to E-TOU-C3 in July, and looks like they've also closed it to new sign-ups.

Difference is fairly nominal though, as they were going to shift E-TOU-A peak to 4-9 pm regardless. So main difference was having peak periods on weekends and holidays...

EV-A is an old TOU plan which PG&E is working hard to get rid of. No new customers. Old ones can be grandfathered for a while. They are really hyping the EV2-A plan, which actually seems the most penurious. There are other 'non-EV' TOU plans, with an old TOU-A and a TOU-B plan, which differ due to a 5 day/weekend model vs. a 7 day model. They are phasing out TOU-A and TOU-B and creating a new single TOU plan, 7 days, with the peak shifting to 4-9 pm to screw solar only customers.

Also FWIW if you get a medical exemption/baseline allowance, this is only applicable to a few and not all plans (and I believe not applicable to EV plans at all).

I'm on EV-A grandfathered until Nov 2020, with NEM 1.0 due to solar. According to PGE, E-1 then becomes my cheapest plan. What is not clear to me is what rates PGE pays for my solar production with the E-1 plan. Anyone know? I tried calling PGE but it's completely hopeless to actually get anyone on the phone.

I'm on EV-A grandfathered until Nov 2020, with NEM 1.0 due to solar. According to PGE, E-1 then becomes my cheapest plan. What is not clear to me is what rates PGE pays for my solar production with the E-1 plan. Anyone know? I tried calling PGE but it's completely hopeless to actually get anyone on the phone.

As PG&E is transitioning all their residential customers away from the tiered E-1 rate schedule to a TOU rate schedule (typically E-TOU-C), I doubt you can switch to E-1.

Residential rate changes: 2015-2020

We have both EV-A and net metering on 6.38 kW of solar. I just ran the PG&E rate comparison tool. It estimates:

EV-A - $640/year
E-TOU-B - $1550/year
E-1 - $1560/year
"Time of Use" - $1570/year
EV2-A - $1770/year

About four months ago, I changed our EV charging to start at midnight, rather than 11 PM - in order to improve the EV2-A estimate. So I'd expect that in eight months, the EV2-A number will probably be around the $1550-1570 range as well...

I really need another 4-ish kW of solar on my roof. Unfortunately most of the space I have available for it is facing east, and gets shade in the afternoon. :(

We have both EV-A and net metering on 6.38 kW of solar. I just ran the PG&E rate comparison tool. It estimates:

EV-A - $640/year
E-TOU-B - $1550/year
E-1 - $1560/year
"Time of Use" - $1570/year
EV2-A - $1770/year

About four months ago, I changed our EV charging to start at midnight, rather than 11 PM - in order to improve the EV2-A estimate. So I'd expect that in eight months, the EV2-A number will probably be around the $1550-1570 range as well...

I really need another 4-ish kW of solar on my roof. Unfortunately most of the space I have available for it is facing east, and gets shade in the afternoon. :(
Sounds like you need Powerwalls... ;)
They can soak up your morning East array generation and get rid of your Peak consumption.
I'm actually in the same spot. I really need about 8kW of solar in total. I have the Powerwalls already and I still pay more than $1,000 per year in energy charges.

Well, as it turns out, I have some decent news from PG&E. The wording says that for the purposes of grandfathering, PG&E is to use the earliest PTO on the current tariff. Because installing Powerwalls in May of 2018 required them moving me to NEM2 (NEM-PS), that PTO is the earliest on my current tariff and will be used for grandfather purposes.

More importantly, I was told that for most residences with similar storage (one to two Powerwalls), EV2-A is not an eligible rate anyway, and those on EV-A will not be moved. I asked if this was across the board for storage, and he said it was not, but that it would pretty widely apply. He suggested that those with storage on the EV-A rate plan should call ASAP to clarify. I called the PG&E number provided by @miimura (877-743-4112).

@MikeW, I see you're a long time member but an infrequent poster so I'm not sure if you are frequently lurking. If so, I wonder if the bolded text in my original paragraph would apply to you since you've been moved to NEM2 already. Perhaps because you moved after the rate plan was approved it does not apply. And you didn't mention storage, so I'm not sure if you have that protection or not.

I definitely suggest that those with storage give PG&E a call. I'm good until November 2023..
Well. They moved me last month to EV2-A. I just spent an hour with PG&E on the phone trying to clarify what I was told above (on October 16th of last year) and they're merely saying that the representative was incorrect. I've requested that they pull the phone record. Not that I think it'll change anything, but I just figured I'd update the group.

What a load.