Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E E-9 cancelled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did an analysis for another forum member who was on E-7. He would have saved money changing to EV and could save even more by joining the sub-metering pilot and keeping E-7. His solar covers his household use, but not his overnight EV usage. E-6 was more expensive than the other alternatives.
Can you tell me what plan would be the best one to do if they eliminate E-7. I have solar and a separate meter for the Tesla, and E-7 works well for me because I'm maxed on solar capacity and with the net during peak gets me credited at the peak rates.

I did an analysis for another forum member who was on E-7. He would have saved money changing to EV and could save even more by joining the sub-metering pilot and keeping E-7. His solar covers his household use, but not his overnight EV usage. E-6 was more expensive than the other alternatives.

I couldn't see how EV-A would work for me
EV Time-of-Use Periods
All Year
Peak:2:00 pm to 9:00 pmMonday through Friday
3:00 pm to 7:00 pmSaturday, Sunday and Holidays
Partial-Peak:7:00 am to 2:00 pmMonday through Friday
9:00 pm to 11:00 pmMonday through Friday
Off-Peak:All Other Hours

Off peak is only 11pm-7am . My Wife cannot turn on the A/C between 2pm-9pm in the summer, there is no winter/summer distinction. I would not exploit my 4.7Kw array to spin the meter back at maximum $$$. This EV would only work for me if I had no solar, no a/c and no one home until 9pm. Unfortunately I was able to join E7 when I got my solar in 2007 but declined since we wanted to run the a/c during the day. 8 years and 2 electric cars later I had to switch to E6 from E1 this year to magnify the value of my panels. My panels produce about 7Mwh per year and my total electric usage with 2 cars is getting towards 13Mwh . With E6 I should round out the year with a $600 true up vs a $1200 true up

I couldn't see how EV-A would work for me. Off peak is only 11pm-7am . My Wife cannot turn on the A/C between 2pm-9pm in the summer, there is no winter/summer distinction.

Off-peak is also 7pm to 3pm on weekends/holidays. I agree with slcasner that having a peak period on weekends is wrong - I call it a ripoff since business demand is much lower during that time.

The winter/summer distinction is in the rates themselves, not in the time periods.

If you don't have solar and are a big electricity user and can offset some loads off of peak, then this is OK because there's no tier penalty.

I'm bummed that they will eliminate the E-7 rate, none of the other rates available have what I consider good peak hours. I have solar and with E-7 I get the peak credit when my system is generality the most kWh. 12 to 6pm. All the other peak times are from 2pm to 7pm, so now it miss out on a couple of hours of peak generation and cannot use the oven or other high users until 7. I agree with Nigel16494 that the EV would not work at all. If they get rid of E-7 they should have another rate schedule with the 12 to 6 peak hours.

I'm bummed that they will eliminate the E-7 rate, none of the other rates available have what I consider good peak hours. I have solar and with E-7 I get the peak credit when my system is generality the most kWh. 12 to 6pm. All the other peak times are from 2pm to 7pm, so now it miss out on a couple of hours of peak generation and cannot use the oven or other high users until 7. I agree with Nigel16494 that the EV would not work at all. If they get rid of E-7 they should have another rate schedule with the 12 to 6 peak hours.

Actually E6 is the redesigned E7, but it's complex. Basically peak is 1-7pm , you get a partial peak before and after. I agree with you that E7 would have been better for me, that's why they closed it no doubt.

E-6 Time-of-Use Periods
Summer (May-October)
Peak:1:00 pm to 7:00 pmMonday through Friday
Partial-Peak:10:00 am to 1:00 pmMonday through Friday
7:00 pm to 9:00 pmMonday through Friday
5:00 pm to 8:00 pmSaturday and Sunday
Off-Peak:All Other HoursIncluding Holidays
Winter (November-April)
Partial Peak:5:00 pm to 8:00 pmMonday through Friday

Actually E6 is the redesigned E7, but it's complex. Basically peak is 1-7pm , you get a partial peak before and after. I agree with you that E7 would have been better for me, that's why they closed it no doubt.

E-6 Time-of-Use Periods

Summer (May-October)

Peak:1:00 pm to 7:00 pmMonday through Friday

Partial-Peak:10:00 am to 1:00 pmMonday through Friday

7:00 pm to 9:00 pmMonday through Friday

5:00 pm to 8:00 pmSaturday and Sunday

Winter (November-April)

Partial Peak:5:00 pm to 8:00 pmMonday through Friday

Am I correct that in the summer during the week off peak is 9pm til 10am and in the winter there is no peak.

All my bill says about what rate schedule I'm on is:

RATE SCHEDULE: NEM RES-

Seems a bit obscure, like they're trying to hide something.

Unless you see partial , peak etc type statements , you might be on E1 which is a pure NEM rate. I was on that from 2007 to 2015, just means I produce more then meter spins backwards. E6 allowed me to magnify the effect, instead of produce an extra kw and get back a kw, with E6 , I would produce an extra 35 cent kw, and buy it back at night as a 12 cent kw.

The other comment I would make is that I am very happy that we have folks here want to help each other out and pass on information. They make these rates so complex between solar, EV and TOU that it is hard to make a decision

miimura said:
Can you tell me what plan would be the best one to do if they eliminate E-7. I have solar and a separate meter for the Tesla, and E-7 works well for me because I'm maxed on solar capacity and with the net during peak gets me credited at the peak rates.
In order to give a solid answer, I would have to study your SmartMeter data. Everyone's situation is different. If you are so inclined, you can use my spreadsheet yourself to study your own SmartMeter data. Download from Google Drive

The case I mentioned above was for a home in Berkeley, CA. They either used AC very little or didn't even have air conditioning. My home in Los Altos is the same. I built the house pre-plumbed and pre-wired for AC, but never installed the compressor/condenser units outside. I only regret that about 10 days per year.

- - - Updated - - -

All my bill says about what rate schedule I'm on is:

RATE SCHEDULE: NEM RES-

Seems a bit obscure, like they're trying to hide something.
The regular monthly bill does not show the rate plan. The True-Up statement has some cryptic version of the rate plan called out. When I was on E-9A it said "Rate Schedule: E A9XB/NEMS". I have not received a True-Up statement yet that reflects my change to Schedule EV.

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't see how EV-A would work for me
EV Time-of-Use Periods

All Year

Peak:2:00 pm to 9:00 pmMonday through Friday

3:00 pm to 7:00 pmSaturday, Sunday and Holidays

Partial-Peak:7:00 am to 2:00 pmMonday through Friday

9:00 pm to 11:00 pmMonday through Friday

Off-Peak:All Other Hours
Off peak is only 11pm-7am . My Wife cannot turn on the A/C between 2pm-9pm in the summer, there is no winter/summer distinction. I would not exploit my 4.7Kw array to spin the meter back at maximum $$$. This EV would only work for me if I had no solar, no a/c and no one home until 9pm. Unfortunately I was able to join E7 when I got my solar in 2007 but declined since we wanted to run the a/c during the day. 8 years and 2 electric cars later I had to switch to E6 from E1 this year to magnify the value of my panels. My panels produce about 7Mwh per year and my total electric usage with 2 cars is getting towards 13Mwh . With E6 I should round out the year with a $600 true up vs a $1200 true up

Where do you live? I would like to do a full year rate comparison for someone who does have solar and uses a significant amount of AC. All the cases I've done so far do not include significant amounts of AC usage.

I can share any amount of data back to 2005, including all PGE rate changes factored in. I am in Los Gatos, so not far away. Smart meters came to solar customers very late. We were not allowed them. For many years I got two bills because I am a power generator and as such was considered commercial. I will not have smart meter data as much as others but the rest I have.

Miimura, no smart meter on my house. They still read it monthly I guess my concern is that I will not get the advantage of peak rates being credited back to my total usage. Do not hardly use the A/C.
I don't understand the point you're trying to make here about peak rates. E-7 definitely has better hours for solar "collection", but you are paying at least 11c/kWh for night time charging and could be paying 20c/kWh in the winter if you are over baseline.

I am also surprised that they didn't change out your dumb NEM meter for a NEM SmartMeter unless you went through the opt-out process.

- - - Updated - - -

I can share any amount of data back to 2005, including all PGE rate changes factored in. I am in Los Gatos, so not far away. Smart meters came to solar customers very late. We were not allowed them. For many years I got two bills because I am a power generator and as such was considered commercial. I will not have smart meter data as much as others but the rest I have.
Old data is not of much interest. You also have to have interval data to make any real rate calculations since each TOU tariff (E-9, EV, E-6, E-7) has a different time schedule. If you have a full year of SmartMeter data available (preferably the trailing 12 months) and you are in a location where you need to use a significant amount of AC, PM me and we can discuss it privately.

Sorry for the confusion, I did a quick comparison of E-7 vs E-6 and there are a couple of things that seem to make E-7 better for me. I would lose 1 hour of peak production everyday and in the winter about $300 since on E-6 there is no peak. Then it seem crazy to me that when most people are home cooking from 5 to 8 pm you are on partial peak. Also the per kWh for peak on E-6 is lower and of peak is higher. I'm all electric so it seems to me that E-6 will cost more than E-7. Also I have a separate meter for charging so that will not impact my bill on the house.

This has been a very interesting thread to follow. We put solar on the house in April so we haven't hit the first full year of NEM accounting, but so far we are way ahead on production and cost. The lower solar production in the winter was concerning until I realized the winter rates were much lower during the daytime that summer, so all the power we banked up in the summer will take a lot longer to spend out over the winter. Haven't bought the EV yet, that will certainly change things a lot, but so far it's been a great investment.