Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Electric Home Rate Plan (E-ELEC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, seeking advice. I upgraded from a 2021 M3SR+ to 2022 MYLR in September 2022 and recently changed electricity rate plan from TOU-D to TOU-C based on PG&E data and searching this forum. To no surprise, my electric bills have increased mainly due to the higher kWh usage for the higher capacity vehicle battery. My daily charging average is ~28 kWh.

My home is new, built at the end of 2020, and has a solar system (no battery storage). I'm a Net Consumer and use more than the Baseline Allowance due to vehicle charging, other electric consumption is quite low. For example, for the last billing cycle of 33 days my Net Usage was 756 kWh.

I used PG&E's electric rate plan comparison tool and based on previous year data, TOU-C was determined as my lowest annual cost vs TOU-D. It seems like the consensus is that EV2-A isn't ideal for solar customers.

I came across the (new?) E-ELEC rate plan that you can only enroll by calling 877-743-4112 and after reviewing the Tariff, I'm unsure if this would be a better plan to use. PG&E's website marketing makes it seem like anyone who is "eletricifyicng their home" by using EV's and other qualifying ways this would be ideal.

Attached is the only info about the E-ELEC rate plan and the Scheduled Rates available. What do y'all think about this?

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 11.30.36 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 11.48.01 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
The schedule for this rate plan is the same as EV2 both in terms of TOU hours and which months are in the Summer rate season. The main difference is that the Peak and Part-Peak rates are lower in the Winter and Off-Peak is higher in the Summer compared to EV2. So, which one is better depends strongly on your usage pattern. I can see how a solar customer might come out ahead on E-ELEC compared to EV2 if they are a net consumer. You pay less for consumption in Peak and Part-Peak 8 months of the year and solar earns you more during your peak production months during Off-Peak hours before 3pm.

PG&E EV2 Rates 230101.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
FYI. I’m on NEM2 Solar and was able to change from E-TOU-C to E-ELEC online on pge.com.

I read that it wasn’t compatible with NEM2 so I called pge and they confirmed a recent change (as of Aug 2023) that NEM1 and NEM2 are compatiable with E-ELEC
the web site would not allow a change if it wasn’t setup that way

I didn't know there was a new plan. I have to do some research.

Especially if my commute goes up again. I use to have either free/reduced charging at work. Not sure I'll have that at my new job and I'll be charging at home a lot more. Hmmm....

FYI. I’m on NEM2 Solar and was able to change from E-TOU-C to E-ELEC online on pge.com.

I read that it wasn’t compatible with NEM2 so I called pge and they confirmed a recent change (as of Aug 2023) that NEM1 and NEM2 are compatiable with E-ELEC
the web site would not allow a change if it wasn’t setup that way

I was intrigued as their online comparison tool suggested E-ELEC would be about $150/year cheaper than my current E-TOU-C. However, I don't think that comparison tool factors in the monthly $15 base charge on E-ELEC, which is $180/year. So... not better for me, I think. I'm on NEM1 with 4kw of solar.

Would be interesting if you can report on how your bills change after a few months....

I was intrigued as their online comparison tool suggested E-ELEC would be about $150/year cheaper than my current E-TOU-C. However, I don't think that comparison tool factors in the monthly $15 base charge on E-ELEC, which is $180/year. So... not better for me, I think. I'm on NEM1 with 4kw of solar.

Would be interesting if you can report on how your bills change after a few months....
E-TOU-C rates seem so high, and it's got two tiers. I'm sure you'll save with E-ELEC.