Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E EV2A rate went up by 20% March 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Iā€™ve been supercharging a whole lot more lately with some very convenient local stations opening up and the fact that itā€™s ā€œfreeā€ for my dinosaur Model S. Tesla might just have to eat some of this increase. ;)
Hah I think Superchargers are going to get a little more crowded for this. It is really going to suck for those who don't have any solar or batteries at all.

not sure why the CCAā€™s could not take over.
Unfortunately the enabling legislation for CCAs limited their role to just serving the generation side of the business, The CCA's do not have the resources or technical staff to manage the infrastructure.

As you mention. the issue is accountability of the Investor Owned Utilities.. The municipal utilities like SMUD, LADWP and others have lower rates because the elected officials are accountable to the ratepayers that elect them. The CPUC evolved from the railroad commissions that preceeded the arrival of electricity. Even though the Governor appoints them the Governor washes his hands. It is a model that is flawed. My hope that the growth of Distributed Energy Resources will bring about some positive changes. At this time in my life all I can do in the medium term is to become self sufficient and support the organizations that are lobbying for change.

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg
I was also thinking of switching from ETOUC to EVA2 but with the raise of rates on EVA2 not sure I would save any money.
With solar and no powerwall, I have relatively low true-up's ($600 annual now around $1000), so E-TOU-C was always about $400 cheaper than EV2-A. I always thought EV2-A would pan out if someone drove a lot more, at some point the lower off-peak rate would make sense. But after seeing in another thread here that even with $3000 true-ups, E-TOU-C was still about $400 cheaper than EV2, seems like really need a LOT of driving to make it worth it.

For me, without summer A/C, it's not EV2's high summer peak that kills, it's the winter peak rate the rest of the year, just because of lights, TV, cooking in the evening when solar is gone.

Is there anyone who's NOT load-shifting peaks on EV2, just doing a lot of EV mileage, where EV2 is actually cheaper than other rates?

Until someone gives me a free EV, still cheaper for me to drive my ice car not how expensive gas is. And I have SO MUCH extra solar, I could charge
a whole fleet of EVs and still have too much. Too bad some of you are not closer, I could give you free ev charging.
operational costs are significantly cheaper with EV. Of course, you would have to buy one which is expensive.

Reactions: dcp123
Iā€™m really disappointed that the powers that be in California donā€™t see the problem with utilities out of control. They just keep letting them raise rates, not sure how some people will be able to afford these crazy rates. We need a revolution in this state to split up the utility monopolies, not sure why the CCAā€™s could not take over.

Please phone into the next PG&E/CPUC Public Participation day on March 10. These are open forums for ratepayers to express their thoughts about PG&E's rates. I want to see the reaction on the judge's face when you refer to PG&E as Pacific Grift and Extortion.

How can I participate?
Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) and the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) would like to hear from you. You are invited to participate in a remote public forum, also called a Public Participation Hearing, about PG&Eā€™s 2023 General Rate Case (GRC) application.

At the hearing, you can make comments, raise concerns, ask questions, and speak with the CPUCā€™s Administrative Law Judge overseeing this application.

Where and when will these Public Forums be held?
In compliance with the Governorā€™s directive and the CPUCā€™s ongoing efforts to protect customers and community members, the hearings will be held via remote participation.

Webcast: www.adminmonitor.com/ca/cpuc/
Phone number: 1-800-857-1917
Passcode: Englishā€“6032788#
Spanishā€“3799627#
March 1
March 10 * all can participate; focus on San Joaquin Valley
March 22
2 p.m. and 6 p.m. Pacific

Written public comments may also be provided at any time during the proceeding in the ā€œPublic Commentsā€ tab of the Docket Card for A.21-06-021, available at: apps.cpuc.ca.gov/c/A2106021.

With solar and no powerwall, I have relatively low true-up's ($600 annual now around $1000), so E-TOU-C was always about $400 cheaper than EV2-A. I always thought EV2-A would pan out if someone drove a lot more, at some point the lower off-peak rate would make sense. But after seeing in another thread here that even with $3000 true-ups, E-TOU-C was still about $400 cheaper than EV2, seems like really need a LOT of driving to make it worth it.

For me, without summer A/C, it's not EV2's high summer peak that kills, it's the winter peak rate the rest of the year, just because of lights, TV, cooking in the evening when solar is gone.

Is there anyone who's NOT load-shifting peaks on EV2, just doing a lot of EV mileage, where EV2 is actually cheaper than other rates?

If you have enough paired storage so that the only power you use from the grid is off peak, EV2A is cheaper even if you don't charge an ev.

So glad I have powerwalls so I can shove 100% of peak production down their throats and run my peak usage 100% from storage. Us paired storage folks with EVs must be PG&E's worst nightmare.
We only have a few years left of this (2019 + 5 = 2024). I am hoping by the time fall of 2024 arrives that they let us export any solar we produced during that day and stored in the PWs, back to the grid. Then at $0.56 kWh (will be going up) during peak we should be making some money.

The only advantage I see with EVA today is that we have a bit more opportunity to send solar back during our earlier peak time.

We only have a few years left of this (2019 + 5 = 2024). I am hoping by the time fall of 2024 arrives that they let us export any solar we produced during that day and stored in the PWs, back to the grid. Then at $0.56 kWh (will be going up) during peak we should be making some money.

The only advantage I see with EVA today is that we have a bit more opportunity to send solar back during our earlier peak time.

PG&E is most fearful of that scenario but it is the one that results in the lowest grid burden. In fact, PG&E is most threatened by anyone who has paired storage with solar. Not only does it potentially allow us to grid defect, but we have the ability to use no power during peak times which means means lowest gird burden but also lowest profits for the IOUs.

PG&E is most fearful of that scenario but it is the one that results in the lowest grid burden. In fact, PG&E is most threatened by anyone who has paired storage with solar. Not only does it potentially allow us to grid defect, but we have the ability to use no power during peak times which means means lowest gird burden but also lowest profits for the IOUs.
Right now I am a pretty big NET energy hog (lots of off peak power usage) but am really lean during peak and even partial peak. So PG&E suffers some pretty big costs for pushing kW to me, and does not get as much in return in average.

I have the option of going to a CCA for generation but it appears to be only about $10-20 value per year (last years rates), and I made up on that with selling back high. Might have to look over all of this again with these new rates.