Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E is finally dropping the NGOM requirement for my 3 Powerwalls setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 7 months of back and forth hassles, PG&E emailed me and said that they're no longer going to require a NGOM to be installed for my 3 Powerwalls installation that was completed last Dec. Now I can finally get my PTO, and therefore my SGIP! Sounds like confirmation about Tesla's CRD certification finally made it's way to the interconnection dept.

Thought I'd pass along the good news in case anyone else has been discouraged by this past requirement.

Date of good news: 6/12/2020
Actual message from a PG&E interconnection manager: "I received notice today that Tesla was recently able to get CRD certification for up to 9 Powerwall 2 batteries with a gateway installed, so this project is now okay to interconnect without an NGOM. I have completed an updated IA that will need to be signed. Once we have that the project should be ready for final inspection."

Thats amazing news and we have been waiting for the same. Will confirm once we hear back, that our projects have the same freedom.

So far we understand Tesla to be very close to getting approved for no NGOM, but with PGE its hard to know what that means.

Also good to know this is with Gateway 1 (assumed from your install time)!

That great news. I had my 3rd Powerwall installed in October along with NGOM and all. It's all powered up and running as this is just the 3rd one I've added (my other two have been running for years now). County inspection passed, but PG&E has been holding off claiming one thing or another. Tesla has been trying to get PG&E to complete the NGOM install (right now there is a dummy meter installed, because when PG&E comes in to do their final inspection they place the correct NGOM Smart Meter so they can see the data).

Now I know why there's a delay. I'm just in a wait and see, but no problem on my end as all three Powerwalls and my PV is up and running.

That great news. I had my 3rd Powerwall installed in October along with NGOM and all. It's all powered up and running as this is just the 3rd one I've added (my other two have been running for years now). County inspection passed, but PG&E has been holding off claiming one thing or another. Tesla has been trying to get PG&E to complete the NGOM install (right now there is a dummy meter installed, because when PG&E comes in to do their final inspection they place the correct NGOM Smart Meter so they can see the data).

Now I know why there's a delay. I'm just in a wait and see, but no problem on my end as all three Powerwalls and my PV is up and running.

OK dumb question here...what implication is there (if any) for those of us who already have a working Powerwall setup, NGOM meter, and PTO?

Bruce.

Reactions: jaed
Tesla has been trying to get PG&E to complete the NGOM install (right now there is a dummy meter installed, because when PG&E comes in to do their final inspection they place the correct NGOM Smart Meter so they can see the data).

Since you already have a dummy meter there, you may not care as much, but I didn't want to have to add another 2nd meter if I didn't have to. Sunworks was going to pay for it, but I'm glad I questioned the heck out of it and pushed back all these months. I too have been operational since Dec, but I was starting to worry that my SGIP reservation was at-risk. So I'm relieved now that our project will move forward finally.

OK dumb question here...what implication is there (if any) for those of us who already have a working Powerwall setup, NGOM meter, and PTO?

Bruce.

Not sure Bruce but I'd guess little to none. PG&E just may have more insight into your net generation, but probably not worth having it removed or anything like that (as another person asked). That'd likely incur additional cost. I'm not a privacy freak, but no need to have our utilities know more than they need to know, especially in the long-term future of our PV/EV/battery generation patterns.

Thats amazing news and we have been waiting for the same. Will confirm once we hear back, that our projects have the same freedom.

So far we understand Tesla to be very close to getting approved for no NGOM, but with PGE its hard to know what that means.

Also good to know this is with Gateway 1 (assumed from your install time)!

Yes correct, Gateway 1. Good luck with your setup.

Frankly, I wasn't 100% sure how big of a good news this would be for the Powerwall community here, but I wanted to err on the side of paying it forward by announcing it, and share the news. Glad it'll help others out, as I too am learning as I'm going.

Just to be clear, PG&E was holding my SGIP "hostage" unless I let them install the NGOM. I questioned why that's necessary still, since I showed them proof that the PUC announced an exception for the Powerwalls 2 last year, they don't ever charge from the grid, etc. They kept saying it's still a requirement, and I kept insisting that they have outdated info. After months of back and forth, that's when they said, ok, they finally got the green light to allow the NON-installation of the NGOM. Thereby, allow the PTO (Permission To Operate), which will then allow me to get my SGIP rebate (for Step 2 large scale system by the way which is different than the long queue that most people have been waiting for).

Now I'm glad I held my position, and they're no longer blocking me from getting my SGIP (via holding back my PTO). Crossing fingers that the rest goes smoothly here.

Note to self: research to see if others have gotten their large-scale Step 2 SGIP rebates yet and see how much longer that'll take after PTO. Anyone heard?

Last edited:

Bruce.
My understanding was the tipping point was 3 Powerwalls. I had two and no NGOM and my neighbor installed 3 at about the same time and he had to have NGOM (still has the paper meter after 2 months).

I am hoping that they do eliminate this just in case I want to add another PW in the future. I am good with 2 right now but have not experienced a complete year yet and have not lived through a multi day PSPS either.

not true, in storm mode they do, and if you didn't ask for the federal rebate on the powerwalls then they run from the grid.

If you install powerwalls and have solar, they will not be set to charge from the grind outside of stormwatch mode, whether you tell the installer you are taking the federal tax credit or not.

There is one instance of someone here who petitioned their utility to allow that, but only 1 that I have seen.

If you consider it for a second, it would be WAAAAAAYYYY to simple to tell tesla (or any other installer) that "Oh no, I am not going to take the tax credit, so wire it up to charge from the grid at my discretion, please", then once you get PTO, apply for the federal tax credit anyway. The federal tax credit is between you and the federal government, so "telling your installer you wont take it" means zero.

If you dont have solar, and buy powerwalls, you are not eligible for the federal tax credit, and since there is no solar, they will wire them to charge from the grid. Failing that, no wiring to charge from the grid without direct proof from your utility that they specifically allow that configuration (which is what the one person who got that done had).

Reactions: arnolddeleon