Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E is finally dropping the NGOM requirement for my 3 Powerwalls setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The saga continues... two punch list items
1) They want 12 months of PG&E data. When we first submitted I had only been in the house from February 2019 to October 2019 so we gave them what we had. This is also used to verify that I can draw 15 kW (to match the 3 batteries). Ridiculous requirement that had me turn off my PV, turn on both ACs, Pool Pump, Jet Tub, Hair Dryers etc for 2 hours on two separate days. But whatever I'll jump through the hoops. Fortunately we did those high draw times in Oct of 2019 so I sent them data from 10/1/2019 through 10/17/2020 today.

2) Twice now they have flagged the file for: "The Preliminary Monitoring Plan states that the storage system will be primarily used for backup. The system cannot be used for backup only according to the SGIP Handbook."
This is not true and not sure why they have this on my file. My handler said she corrected it a second time.

Onward!

The saga continues... two punch list items
1) They want 12 months of PG&E data. When we first submitted I had only been in the house from February 2019 to October 2019 so we gave them what we had. This is also used to verify that I can draw 15 kW (to match the 3 batteries). Ridiculous requirement that had me turn off my PV, turn on both ACs, Pool Pump, Jet Tub, Hair Dryers etc for 2 hours on two separate days. But whatever I'll jump through the hoops. Fortunately we did those high draw times in Oct of 2019 so I sent them data from 10/1/2019 through 10/17/2020 today.

2) Twice now they have flagged the file for: "The Preliminary Monitoring Plan states that the storage system will be primarily used for backup. The system cannot be used for backup only according to the SGIP Handbook."
This is not true and not sure why they have this on my file. My handler said she corrected it a second time.

Onward!

I am dealing with the same pge requests you are. So what was your max 1 hour draw in the green button data you sent them?

What was your max 1 hour draw for those 2 days of testing? I never could get an answer on what PGE wanted. Meaning, is what you did, turn everything on, qualify for the max draw? Or is the max draw what would really be used?

I am dealing with the same pge requests you are. So what was your max 1 hour draw in the green button data you sent them?

What was your max 1 hour draw for those 2 days of testing? I never could get an answer on what PGE wanted. Meaning, is what you did, turn everything on, qualify for the max draw? Or is the max draw what would really be used?

My SGIP handler told me that they want to see a sustained load that matches the nameplate rating (or something like that).. so in this case: # of PW x 5 kW. Since I have 3 of them, she told me i needed to have on two separate days, a period of 2 hours with a sustained load of at least 15 kW.

This I accomplished by the previously mentioned absurd exercise of turning on everything in my house that uses electricity for 2 hours.
I believe I was able to pull about 18 kW for those two hours.

• Funny
Reactions: Mrbrock
My SGIP handler told me that they want to see a sustained load that matches the nameplate rating (or something like that).. so in this case: # of PW x 5 kW. Since I have 3 of them, she told me i needed to have on two separate days, a period of 2 hours with a sustained load of at least 15 kW.

This I accomplished by the previously mentioned absurd exercise of turning on everything in my house that uses electricity for 2 hours.
I believe I was able to pull about 18 kW for those two hours.

Interesting, since they told me the 1 hour load when they got back to me, I just turned things on for an hour. Did that test 5 days over 3 days. Since this cost a lot of money, loading totally up, hope they do not come back and say they needed to see 2 hours. But if so, I can load up again. I hit 35.02 kwh in one of those hour tests. Also lots of over 30's. I put in for 5, so will see what happens.

Another round of frustration...

upload_2020-12-8_7-47-35.png

I gave them the "Green Button Data" in the same format I downloaded it from PG&E website... *sigh*

Does anyone know what this Proposed Monitoring Plan is expecting? I have the question off to my SGIP handler; we'll see what she says.

Another round of frustration...

View attachment 615661

I gave them the "Green Button Data" in the same format I downloaded it from PG&E website... *sigh*

Does anyone know what this Proposed Monitoring Plan is expecting? I have the question off to my SGIP handler; we'll see what she says.

At least you got something back. I have been 6 weeks since resubmitted green button data and have heard nothing. Took 5 weeks to get the first response with questions back the first time. What format did you send? I did excel format.

It looks like it was .CSV so i'll be hitting my head against the wall if they were too obtuse to accept that format...

Interesting, I just went back and looked. The csv is what I used also since it opened in excel no issue. The xml output is funky.
So since the csv file comes from their website, and they are saying its the wrong format, what is the "right" format?

Hopefully this will give others some additional hope...

Woo-hoo! I just got an email today that our SGIP rebate from PG&E finally got approved for payment! Supposedly it'll now take 20 business days longer to get my check. If true, it'll be, from start to finish, 13 months since installation of the 3 powerwalls. I hope this helps us all keep hangin' on...don't give up!

PG&E rebate approval notice.jpg

Woo-hoo! I just got an email today that our SGIP rebate from PG&E finally got approved for payment! Supposedly it'll now take 20 business days longer to get my check. If true, it'll be, from start to finish, 13 months since installation of the 3 powerwalls. I hope this helps us all keep hangin' on...don't give up!

View attachment 616716

What step level was that? Meaning I assume they did not cover 100% of costs, and you are writing rest off on taxes?

View attachment 616716

Did you apply for SGIP without ITC? Or were you in Large Scale Step 1?
The estimate for 3 PW in large scale step 2 that my application is working off is $10,092 (with ITC).

I just got our SGIP (large scale step 2) rebate check! Finally and so happy now!

So from the installation date of the 3 powerwalls to the check's arrival date, it took 13 months total. Hopefully knowing my timeline will help others stay sane during the waiting period. Good luck everyone!

BTW: So our total net-net cost (after installation, tax credit, SGIP rebate, etc) per powerwall is $4200/each. How does that compare to other's total anticipated net-net cost after you get your SGIP check???
I assume you did the SGIP 85%? If you just got the check after the first I guess you will not need to worry about getting a 1099 for this years taxes? Wow, 13 months. Did they switch you to eva-2, or since if it was a 85% sgip, then you are not forced to change?

Haven’t checked in on this thread in awhile, but how in the world has it devolved from the need/requirement of the utility (PG&E in my case) to install or not install the NGOM meters that are the topic of the thread and into a discussion on SGIP?

This was the NGOM housing next to the AC Disconnect switch that they started to install on our house until, thanks to @heytae’s efforts here, they were able to remove before PG&E came out to insert and connect it. The removal required some rewiring and an update to our job’s line drawing plans.

22444798-A09A-4B29-83A7-4647A7B353EA.jpeg

Hopefully no one else in our area is getting these extra meters pushed on their install by someone not in the know of the recent NGOM decision.

Last edited:
I assume you did the SGIP 85%? If you just got the check after the first I guess you will not need to worry about getting a 1099 for this years taxes? Wow, 13 months. Did they switch you to eva-2, or since if it was a 85% sgip, then you are not forced to change?

Where did @heytae mention that this is equity and resilience (which is the only program that has the "85%" you are talking about. Looks to me like this is simply regular SGIP step 2, which is something different.

My bad for contributing to the off-topic SGIP stuff @SMAlset I got too excited about the rebate check arrival! :) Just to finish though: Correct guys, mine was a Step 2 large scale rebate.

Glad to see at least one NGOM not get installed and hopefully others too. It must look so much better on your wall without that unnecessary meter. I know my wall, which is visible from the street, looks much "cleaner" without it. Plus, ours was going to cost another $680 for it.