Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Main Panel Clearance - Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have read a few threads on issues with PG&E main panel upgrades that are within the 3 foot rule but posting this anyway to see if a miracle occurs.

House built in 1978 (North Bay CA). Solar installer says city requires a new main panel for any new (major?) electrical work. Solar installer PG&E rep says that the main panel needs to move and will cost 10’s of thousands of dollars to re-trench (unground feed).

I’ve been told I have three options:

1) Cancel project
2) Go all electric (cap off gas)
3) Pay the 10’s of thousands of dollars to re-trench

I really do not want to go to option 2.

There are 7 houses in a two block radius from my house that have essentially the same panel/gas layout as mine. I know most of them have had solar installed 5+ years ago. Homes in our area seems to have the same panel/gas layout which apparently will make it nearly impossible for these homes to get solar. I picture an unlikely scenario where they all want to pay for the re-trenching and all the streets are “torn up” (harsh word for re-trenched) which seems would be a problem for the city.

I have read a like-for-like upgrade is very risky and not within the letter-of-the-law of the provision in the green book.

From,
Someone wanting to get solar but loosing hope.

This thread shows under "similar threads" feature. Have you looked at this one?

Have read a few threads on issues with PG&E main panel upgrades that are within the 3 foot rule but posting this anyway to see if a miracle occurs.

House built in 1978 (North Bay CA). Solar installer says city requires a new main panel for any new (major?) electrical work. Solar installer PG&E rep says that the main panel needs to move and will cost 10’s of thousands of dollars to re-trench (unground feed).

I’ve been told I have three options:

1) Cancel project
2) Go all electric (cap off gas)
3) Pay the 10’s of thousands of dollars to re-trench

I really do not want to go to option 2.

There are 7 houses in a two block radius from my house that have essentially the same panel/gas layout as mine. I know most of them have had solar installed 5+ years ago. Homes in our area seems to have the same panel/gas layout which apparently will make it nearly impossible for these homes to get solar. I picture an unlikely scenario where they all want to pay for the re-trenching and all the streets are “torn up” (harsh word for re-trenched) which seems would be a problem for the city.

I have read a like-for-like upgrade is very risky and not within the letter-of-the-law of the provision in the green book.

From,
Someone wanting to get solar but loosing hope.
What project do you want to do? PV, PW, Both? What city?

Take a picture of the MSP area, with the gas meter showing and maybe a tape measure in the frame.

With the recent PGE fires, safety of existing gas services is under scrutiny. What happened 5 years ago means little. See the other thread linked above.

If your main panel is within 36" radius of the gas vent that is probably not a good thing and I would fix it for my own safety. PGE will not allow any swaps in this location.

If you are trying to do a PV only project, maybe get creative and do not interconnect with a breaker at the MSP, but at some other location away from that with existing wiring?

Thank you both. I did read that thread prior to posting.

The distance is less than 3 feet.

We were planning for PV+battery.

Location is Rohnert Park.

The main panel has two breakers. One feeds the pool and hot tub in the backyard through a sub-panel, and the other breakers feeds a sub-panel in the garage for the house.

Can you explain more about not interconnecting at main panel?

Thank you both. I did read that thread prior to posting.

The distance is less than 3 feet.

We were planning for PV+battery.

Location is Rohnert Park.

The main panel has two breakers. One feeds the pool and hot tub in the backyard through a sub-panel, and the other breakers feeds a sub-panel in the garage for the house.

Can you explain more about not interconnecting at main panel?
Rather than doing anything new on the wall at the service panel, install your equipment near the subpanel in the garage which has the other loads in it. Then install the code required disconnect(s) on an exterior wall which is not near the gas meter.

Well sadly the project was cancelled and I lost some of my down payment. I asked the solar installer about adding at the subpanel but they stated that it would require a permit from the city and that the city would require a main panel upgrade. What I don't understand is that there are other homes in the area with the same meter location issue and somehow they have recently had solar installed. There is something I am missing here. If anyone in the San Francisco North Bay has any recommendations for another solar installer to try please let me know.

Thank you.