Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E maintenance power off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only difference is how long it takes them to activate. If they are already supplying power, for example during peak for Cost Savings, then you would not see a blink or a flash in your power. But if they were, for example charging, then there will be a brief delay while they switch modes to pick up your house load.

I am not aware of any way to force them to discharge when the grid is still active, at least not in California.

EDIT: I think there may be another case where solar is supplying power during the cutover and that could take up the slack resulting in not momentary too.

The only difference is how long it takes them to activate. If they are already supplying power, for example during peak for Cost Savings, then you would not see a blink or a flash in your power. But if they were, for example charging, then there will be a brief delay while they switch modes to pick up your house load.

I am not aware of any way to force them to discharge when the grid is still active, at least not in California.

EDIT: I think there may be another case where solar is supplying power during the cutover and that could take up the slack resulting in not momentary too.

Self powered mode?

Sorry, no we are using the timed based control and cost savings with the Powerwalls set to power the house from 4 to 9. When the system was installed they tested it by shutting the main breaker off.

Yea, that's not the same as running in backup mode. Even though they tested it once at install, it might be a good idea to get familiar with testing it yourself. For example, if the powerwall SOC is high and solar is producing, the powerwalls line frequency will likely be higher than 60 Hz. Eventually with the default settings, it will climb as high as 62.5HZ. I have a number of devices in my house that won't work at that frequency and Tesla had to adjust the powerwall output frequency to keep them from freaking out. I had 7 Insteon switches alone fail and DIE forever because of the high line frequency.

Doing this self testing and verifying your devices at higher powerwall SOCs will give you an early indicator if any adjustments need to be made and then you can get them done before you have a real outage that could last a long time.

Yea, that's not the same as running in backup mode. Even though they tested it once at install, it might be a good idea to get familiar with testing it yourself. For example, if the powerwall SOC is high and solar is producing, the powerwalls line frequency will likely be higher than 60 Hz. Eventually with the default settings, it will climb as high as 62.5HZ. I have a number of devices in my house that won't work at that frequency and Tesla had to adjust the powerwall output frequency to keep them from freaking out. I had 7 Insteon switches alone fail and DIE forever because of the high line frequency.

Doing this self testing and verifying your devices at higher powerwall SOCs will give you an early indicator if any adjustments need to be made and then you can get them done before you have a real outage that could last a long time.
Ok, they did adjust the frequency per my request at install.