Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Notice of Proposed Rate Changes (General Rate Case Phase II Application A.19-11-019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PG&E sent me an email notice about this proposed rate change. California Tesla owners in PG&E's service territory may find it relevant, because it would affect the cost of charging.

General Rate Case Phase II Application A.19-11-019

How can I participate?

PG&E and the CPUC would like to hear from you.
You are invited to participate in a remote Public Forum, also called a Public Participation Hearing (PPH), about PG&E’s General Rate Case Phase II application.

At the hearing, you can make comments, raise concerns, ask questions, and speak with the CPUC’s Administrative Law Judge overseeing this application.

[...]

November 6, 2020

Webcast: California Public Utilities Commission - California - Admin Monitor
Phone number: 1-800-857-1917

2 p.m. Passcode: 1673482
6 p.m. Passcode: 5020731

[...]

How could this affect my monthly bill?

Bundled electric customers receive generation, transmission, and distribution services from PG&E. The cumulative effect after the initial three-year phase-in of rate adjustments for a typical residential customer using 500 kWh per month would decrease their bill from $127.40 to about $127.04, or -0.3%. A similar customer using 750 kWh per month would see a bill decrease from $188.75 to about $186.83, or -1.0%.

Direct Access and Community Choice Aggregation customers only receive electric transmission and distribution services from PG&E. On average, these customers would see a rate decrease of -0.1%.​

Departing Load customers do not receive electric generation, transmission, or distribution services from PG&E. However, these customers are still required to pay certain charges by law or CPUC decision. On average, these customers would see a rate increase of 6.1%.

Actual impacts will vary depending on usage.

[...]​

Public comments:

Proceedings Tab5 - Public Comments

• Informative
Reactions: ChrisJ
I'm a bit confused hat they mean by a Departing Load customer. The wording above suggests CCA customers are not Departing Load customers. However, most of the top Google search results define CCA customers as Departing Load customers.

Are they planning to stick another 6% increase to CCA users, on top of the PCIA charge that already negates any savings from CCA's, and on top of their 2X/year typical rate increases?

I'm a bit confused hat they mean by a Departing Load customer. The wording above suggests CCA customers are not Departing Load customers. However, most of the top Google search results define CCA customers as Departing Load customers.

Are they planning to stick another 6% increase to CCA users, on top of the PCIA charge that already negates any savings from CCA's, and on top of their 2X/year typical rate increases?
I think as far as the IOUs are concerned, Departing Load Customers and CCA Customers are the same thing. In either case, they are not responsible for sourcing the electricity to serve that customer. The treatment of NEM, CCA, and Minimum Charges are my primary concerns. These fractional percentage rate changes for traditional utility customers are almost meaningless and don't warrant a full rate case. There must be something of substance to warrant the rate case and I look forward to learning what it is.

IMHO, the State needs to make a clear path to the elimination of the PCIA and old contract encumbrances that go indefinitely into the future.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
I think as far as the IOUs are concerned, Departing Load Customers and CCA Customers are the same thing. In either case, they are not responsible for sourcing the electricity to serve that customer

Thanks, that's what most Google results seem to imply. But that's why this statement that CCA's DO receive transmissiuon/distribution:

"Direct Access and Community Choice Aggregation customers only receive electric transmission and distribution services from PG&E."

seems at odds with this definition of Departing Load customers, both quoted from the PG&E link:

"Departing Load customers do not receive electric generation, transmission, or distribution services from PG&E."

Perhaps are they requesting this rate increase as a replacement for the PCIA charge, which the CCA's are arguing to remove, or is it on top of PCIA?