Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E proposes 18% to 45% rate hikes (electric and gas) beginning 2023 ending 2026 to address wildfire risk

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Looks like PG&E believes it needs a few billion dollars to make their grid safe (edit, and improve infrastructure and better fund its pension), And since they can't make their operations more lean and intelligent, that just means it's time for rate payers to pony up.

Contrary to what some news outlets have indicated, this is a straight up 18% increase to gas and electric in 2023 compared to 2021. After 2023, rates will go up further in addition to this 18%. That is why for some people, their gas bill will go up around 45% by 2026 compared to today's rates if the CPUC allows this.

They conveniently provided example tables of what an E-1 Electric and G-1 Gas (non-CARE) customer will see on an average bill. For example, Zone X (the most populated residential zone) will see a monthly 488 kWh electricity bill go up 18.1% from the most recent rates enacted this spring to the implementation of this proposal in 2023. Additional increases will hit in subsequent years so by 2026 (for just this proposed action), rates will go up 23%. On the gas side, the first year increase is 18% as well on a 37 therms average monthly bill. But if you look out to 2026, the expected bill will go up 45% compared to the current 2021 bill.

1625153358120.png

1625153562840.png

One thing rate payers should consider is that PG&E's current proposal lifts rates across the board for non-CARE and CARE/FERA. The CPUC has historically denied such blanket rate increases because they feel lower income folks are not in a position to manage these rate increases. So, typically by the time all things are resolved, the non-CARE folks will pay more while the CARE population will see less impact.

This Rate Case proposal says nothing about solar, NEM, TOU, etc.

Last edited:

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
Looks like PG&E believes it needs a few billion dollars to make their grid safe (edit, and improve infrastructure and better fund its pension), And since they can't make their operations more lean and intelligent, that just means it's time for rate payers to pony up.

Contrary to what some news outlets have indicated, this is a straight up 18% increase to gas and electric in 2023 compared to 2021. After 2023, rates will go up further in addition to this 18%. That is why for some people, their gas bill will go up around 45% by 2026 compared to today's rates if the CPUC allows this.

They conveniently provided example tables of what an E-1 Electric and G-1 Gas (non-CARE) customer will see on an average bill. For example, Zone X (the most populated residential zone) will see a monthly 488 kWh electricity bill go up 18.1% from the most recent rates enacted this spring to the implementation of this proposal in 2023. Additional increases will hit in subsequent years so by 2025 (for just this proposed action), rates will go up 23%. On the gas side, the first year increase is 18% as well. But if you look out to 2026, the expected bill will go up 45% compared to the current 2021 bill.

View attachment 680109

View attachment 680115

One thing rate payers should consider is that PG&E's current proposal lifts rates across the board for non-CARE and CARE/FERA. The CPUC has historically denied such blanket rate increases because they feel lower income folks are not in a position to manage these rate increases. So, typically by the time all things are resolved, the non-CARE folks will pay more while the CARE population will see less impact.

This Rate Case proposal says nothing about solar, NEM, TOU, etc.
So the higher the rates go, the more batteries and solar look good? And the higher gas goes, the better my 99% electric home looks. I just need PGE to approve my 30kw of panels and I am all set. :)

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
So the higher the rates go, the more batteries and solar look good? And the higher gas goes, the better my 99% electric home looks. I just need PGE to approve my 30kw of panels and I am all set. :)

PG&E keeps arguing that you aren't paying enough for solar, so I think they'll find a way to squeeze blood from you eventually. But yes, getting solar and batteries (at least for now) is the way to go.

If you look at the joint IOU NEM 3 proposal, they want to put a meter between your solar and your house and see how much energy you're using. Then bill you for that energy directly while charging you a fee for exporting any solar to their grid.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
PG&E keeps arguing that you aren't paying enough for solar, so I think they'll find a way to squeeze blood from you eventually. But yes, getting solar and batteries (at least for now) is the way to go.

If you look at the joint IOU NEM 3 proposal, they want to put a meter between your solar and your house and see how much energy you're using. Then bill you for that energy directly while charging you a fee for exporting any solar to their grid.
yep nuts

Reactions: MontyFloyd

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
What a joke! Just nothing but class warfare!!! Like the solar did not cost us anything, and it does not help PGE no needing extra power. Stupid

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine

Production meters are quite common. They're used in places that have incentives based on production.

An advantage of doing this is that there's full accounting instead of having to estimate small-scale generation for figure out demand.

Information can be used for good and bad.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Does the proposed rate increase cover the cost of burying power lines just announced?

While the proposal from PG&E a few weeks ago does not expressly call out the 10,000 miles of underground lines, it is implied that the 10,000 of lines announced today will require some portion of the rate increase requested on July 1.

I still think it's sus how the news/media has not picked up on the massive natural gas rate increase... I hope the CPUC doesn't get fixated on the power-rates and kind of shrugs off the monster natural gas rate increase.

Some people like me can't fit more solar on our roofs and I can't get my furnace and hot water heater over to electric in a reasonable way.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Lol the public comments for CPUC Proceeding A2106021 (the one for this U39 M rate increase proposal) is keeping me entertained through my morning meetings. Unfortunately nobody is picking up on the 40% to 45% increase to natural gas. PG&E's clever trick of putting all focus on the Energy increase means they can drop the energy rate increase to 9% instead of 18% and people will think this is a win.

Vincent Garza from Fresno says:
The idea that the demons at PG&E want to raise rates while they continuously mismanage public utilities, leading to mass death, is absolute insanity. I know they have no souls, but the commission might, and residents demand that you reject this psychotic proposal and tell PG&E to be responsible corporate citizens or face consequences.

Charles Millard from Fresno says:
PROFESSIONAL GRAFT & EXTORSION.....18% Rate increases while they have BILLIONS being held in reserve. Let's have a public release of their TRUE financial situation.They are just like the State of California with it's "Rainy Day Funds". Corrupt? File bankruptcy over and over again, while you are guaranteed paying your shareholders 10% return on "Their" investments?? Pay millions in bonuses at the same time you screw us to death?? The CPUC is more than likely in cahoots with this scum and has NEVER seemed to do S**T for the rate paying "Customer" that they are supposed to be looking out for. We already pay billions for utilities and now they want billions more. Worst of all they seem to have total protection from any of our laws or regulations which just seem to be "For Thee & Not For Me". How many times can you go bankrupt and just by some miracle,-our money-, keep coming out of the other side to just keep taking more and more from us? I've got a couple of units of O+ blood left....why don't you just come SUCK THAT 'OTTA ME TOO while 'yer at it??? If we could generate electricity from all the hot air being released from you jerks, we wouldn't need PG&E at all......18%?? HELL NO!

Richard Hellam from Seaside says:
Rates are way too high now. Act like you serve the public and deny this increase.

Michael McKinney from Novato says:
How long will PG&E survive as a privately owned public utility? As long as our public officials -- and we who elect them -- keep forgiving its criminal activity and fiscal mismanagement. There's no need to dredge up the crimes exposed by Erin Brockovich some 30 years ago -- or the taxpayer bailout of 2001. Within the past two years, PG&E has pled guilty to 85 counts of manslaughter and has successfully lobbied our lawmakers to save it from bankruptcy at a cost of tens of billions of taxpayer dollars. Now its "new" board of directors is asking the CPUC to approve -- in our name -- an 18% rate hike! And why not? Aren't they doing us a favor by not asking for more? Is there any serious pressure on the CPUC - or Governor Newsome-- to say "no". Maybe there is. Maybe there's even pressure to elect representatives based on their commitment to abolish PG&E rather than defend it. The kind who would institute public ownership of California's energy resources, ensuring that these were managed in terms of public safety and environmental sustainability rather than private profit. I'd call that a hope -- that the majority of Californians will reject not only the Republicans but the "Republicrats" who satisfy their corporate donors while California -- and the rest of the world -- continues to burn.

William Cahill of Clayton says:
The CPUC needs to start doing its job and hold PG&E accountable for the death and destruction it has caused over the last 40+ years. Why is the "C" Suite not in jail? An average person would have been jailed long ago. If the CPUC did its job they would break-up PG&E, or at a minimum cut executive and mid-level pay, eliminate bonuses, reduce extra benefits and perqs, and set residential price limits that meet other nearby state residential rates. California PUC is not representing the rate payers and you guys also need to be held accountable! 18% increase is the most obscene request I have seen in my years! Shame on the CPUC for even allowing PG&E to ask for it! How can we recall the CPUC and get some real representatives?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC