Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E PSPS this weekend (2020-09-26)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are out of the current areas for PG&E. As of Saturday, Sept 26 @ 10:00AM it seems limited to the hilly areas East and North of Sacramento and Northwest of Napa. Start: "September 27 | 4:00 PM PDT - 6:00 PM PDT". End: "September 28 | 10:00 PM PDT".

But of course, all this is subject to changes in the weather conditions.

PSPS-2020-09-26-1000.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: holeydonut
We are now on active Storm Watch, located in Marin county, North bay S F.
PGE Shutoff s will be around 4pm Sunday until Monday.
Other areas will be turned off late tonight/early am.
This is based on local news KRON tv tonight. PGE website shows limited shutdowns in these areas. Not all addresses are included in planned outsge. We are not affected fortunately at this time late Saturday night.

@jboy210 Is your address still on Storm Watch "active" if you choose to turn it on?
PWs charge at 10 kW if turned on.

Last edited:
We are now on Storm Watch in Marin, North bay S F.
PGE Shutoff s will be around 4pm Sunday until Monday.
Other areas than North Bay will be turned off late tonight.
This is based on local news KRON tv tonight.
Hmm... I just checked the PG&E PSPS map and it doesn't show any current or planned outages for Marin or other nearby counties.
PGE Emergency Site - Outage Map

Reactions: LadyLion
Each one of these PSPS events might as well be advertisements for solar + powerwalls, in northern california. I realize that a generator can serve a similar purpose, however with the typical home values up there in Northern california, along with the electricity cost, it makes a ton of sense up there.

All it takes is one home to have solar + powerwalls, with the lights on, during a PSPS event while the rest of the street is dark, and within a month probably 50% of that street will have likely ordered something (lol).

There is no way to find out, but it would be super interesting to me to see what the spike in orders for these products are after each one of these PSPS events in those areas.

Last edited:
Each one of these PSPS events might as well be advertisements for solar + powerwalls, in northern california I realize that a generator can serve a similar purpose, however with the typical home values up there in Northern california, along with the electricity cost, it makes a ton of sense up there.

All it takes is one home to have solar + powerwalls, with the lights on, during a PSPS event while the rest of the street is dark, and within a month probably 50% of that street will have likely ordered something (lol).

There is no way to find out, but it would be super interesting to me to see what the spike in orders for these products are after each one of these PSPS events in those areas.
I agree but this is why there are no Powerwalls available til January.

@jboy210 Is your address still on Storm Watch "active" if you choose to turn it on?
PWs charge at 10 kW if turned on.
Not quite sure if this is what you are asking, but since the initial activation of StormWatch I have been able to toggle charging of the PW from the grid by turning off and on the StormWatch option. Right now, Sunday @ 9 AM, I toggled it on and see my 2 powerwalls getting charged from 7.6 KW of grid power. As the solar increases and the PowerWalls go over 50%, I will likely turn off StormWatch and let the batteries top off from the solar.

Last edited:
Each one of these PSPS events might as well be advertisements for solar + powerwalls, in northern california. I realize that a generator can serve a similar purpose, however with the typical home values up there in Northern california, along with the electricity cost, it makes a ton of sense up there.

To me, cost savings are a secondary issue.

The biggest issue is how ticked off I would be if the grid was out and I had solar on my roof I could not use. I would be sitting in the dark on a bright sunny day and fuming. The Powerwalls remove this issue by ensuring my solar does not deactivate because the grid is down. Plus regardless of the status of the grid, they let me use the solar power I generated during the day throughout the night.

Not quite sure if this is what you are asking, but since the initial activation of StormWatch I have been able to toggle charging of the PW from the grid by turning off and on the StormWatch option. Right now, Sunday @ 9 AM, I toggled it on and see my 2 powerwalls getting charged from 7.6 KW of grid power. As the solar increases and the PowerWalls go over 50%, I will likely turn off StormWatch and let the batteries top off from the solar.

Yes, my 3 PWs draw 10kW if I toggle SW on at 9:30 am Sunday. Since we are not in a PSPS alert today I will not charge them from the grid either. So the maximum that will be sent to PWs is limited by the app to 10kW for 3PWs and 7.6 kW for 2PWs?
How long does it take to reach 100% if your PWs are at 50% when you toggle on SW and send them 7.6? TIA

Yes, my 3 PWs draw 10kW if I toggle SW on at 9:30 am Sunday. Since we are not in a PSPS alert today I will not charge them from the grid either. So the maximum that will be sent to PWs is limited by the app to 10kW for 3PWs and 7.6 kW for 2PWs?
How long does it take to reach 100% if your PWs are at 50% when you toggle on SW and send them 7.6? TIA

theoretically, each powerwall has 13.5 kW of storage space. If you have 3 powerwalls, thats 13.5 X 3, or 40.5 kW of storage. If they were 50% full, that would be 20.25 full. If they are drawing 7.6 kW an hour, that means it would take 2.6 hours (or a little over 2 hours and a half) to fill them at that fill rate. The fill rate might slow down near the top, so I would think, given the scenario you have laid out, it would take between 2.5 and 3 hours or so.

If I have that wrong, someone please correct me.

• Informative
Reactions: LadyLion

Each Powerwall can hold 13.5 kWh so if my 2 are at 50% that means we need to add 13.5 kWh to the the 2 PWs to fill them. We are pulling a little over 7 Kw, so it should take around 2 hours to fill them to 100%, assuming the house is not pulling from the PWs.

theoretically, each powerwall has 13.5 kW of storage space. If you have 3 powerwalls, thats 13.5 X 3, or 40.5 kW of storage. If they were 50% full, that would be 20.25 full. If they are drawing 7.6 kW an hour, that means it would take 2.6 hours (or a little over 2 hours and a half) to fill them at that fill rate. The fill rate might slow down near the top, so I would think, given the scenario you have laid out, it would take between 2.5 and 3 hours or so.

If I have that wrong, someone please correct me.

Small correction. @LadyLion is pulling 10kW, not the 7.5 I was, from the grid. So assuming the PW is not providing power to the home, it should take around 2 hours to fill LadyLion's 3 PW from 50%.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Storm Watch will pull up to 3.3kW per Powerwall with grid assistance. For example, if you have a 10kW solar system and two Powerwalls, they will pull 6.6kW from the grid in the morning before there is solar generation. As the solar ramps up, it will displace the grid charging until the point that the solar is producing more than 6.6kW, at which point Storm Watch will not pull from the grid any more and the Powerwall charging will continue to absorb all the solar up to the max of 10kW (5kW per PW).

I didn't get Powerwalls. Why did stormwatch get triggered?

Oh thats right, i forgot, lol. Our "fire watch" warning got upgraded to a red flag warning this afternoon. You can check your favorite weather app for those (I am in the process of swapping from dark sky to hello weather as a weather app, but both show NWS warnings as part of their offerings).

Reactions: SoCal Dave