Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Rate Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've participated in a few threads in the past exploring the different PG&E rate plans for PV + ESS.
I'm currently on ETOUB (M-F 4-9 pm Peak, everything else Off peak).

With the roll out of the Tesla App rate plans, my system isn't cycling during winter because of the small price difference.
(October - May Off-Peak $0.26 / kWh - Peak $0.28 / kWh)

This means my system will only price arbitrage 4 months out of the year. (June - September)
I've noticed that my system is still using PV to charge, I guess due to passive losses in the system.
Does anyone know what I should expect as a reasonable amount of passive loss for 3 PowerWall 2?

This has got me thinking even more about moving to EVA-2 rate plan. I had to chuckle when I went to my PG&E account and they said I should move to E-TOU-D as the "best cost" option for me. Then just a bit lower on the web page this was displayed... (lowest cost plan NOT marked as the lowest cost plan...)
1640043651218.png

If I moved to EV2-A I would move all my pool pump time to off peak (and more specifically to end before sunrise).
How would I be able to calculate if these changes in behavior would be positive? I have a salt water pool so in the Summer it runs for 6-8 hours per day.

With the roll out of the Tesla App rate plans, my system isn't cycling during winter because of the small price difference.
(October - May Off-Peak $0.26 / kWh - Peak $0.28 / kWh)

This means my system will only price arbitrage 4 months out of the year. (June - September)
Right with a 90% efficiency it doesn't make sense to for you to use the Powerwalls during peak as you will get more credit during the day for the extra kWh that you can export to the grid. If you are a net generator (export more than you import) then it would may make sense to not use the Powerwalls all year.
I've noticed that my system is still using PV to charge, I guess due to passive losses in the system.
Does anyone know what I should expect as a reasonable amount of passive loss for 3 PowerWall 2?
My Powerwall losses are in the range of 0.20-0.25 kWh/day each, so for your three Powerwalls that would be 0.60-0.75 kWh/day.
If I moved to EV2-A I would move all my pool pump time to off peak (and more specifically to end before sunrise).
How would I be able to calculate if these changes in behavior would be positive? I have a salt water pool so in the Summer it runs for 6-8 hours per day.

The simplest way would be multiple the amount of kWh that you are currently using and then multiplying that times the difference in the E-TOU-B pricing versus the EV2-A off peak pricing.

I've been on the EV1-A rate plan. I think I have one more year before I'm switched to EV2. I have not had an EV for 2 years, but kept the plan since I have PWs. We just got a new EV yesterday and I looked up the current Off Peak rates. I recall 2 years ago my Off Peak rate was $.13/kWh. I just looked at current rate and it is $.25/kWh. It doubled in 2 years??

I've been on the EV1-A rate plan. I think I have one more year before I'm switched to EV2. I have not had an EV for 2 years, but kept the plan since I have PWs. We just got a new EV yesterday and I looked up the current Off Peak rates. I recall 2 years ago my Off Peak rate was $.13/kWh. I just looked at current rate and it is $.25/kWh. It doubled in 2 years??
How sure are you about that $0.13/kWh? PG&E doesn't published historical tariff rates from what I can find, but there was some old numbers for generation on the SVCE site. The first occurrence of EV2-A is August 2019 and the generation portion only was $0.10000/kWh for Summer Off-Peak and EV-A/EV-B was lower at $0.06744. The latest numbers from June 2022 have EV2-A at $0.13320 and the EV-A/EV-B at $0.12340 for PG&E.

That is generation only and there would transmission and distribution charges on top of that.

How sure are you about that $0.13/kWh? PG&E doesn't published historical tariff rates from what I can find, but there was some old numbers for generation on the SVCE site. The first occurrence of EV2-A is August 2019 and the generation portion only was $0.10000/kWh for Summer Off-Peak and EV-A/EV-B was lower at $0.06744. The latest numbers from June 2022 have EV2-A at $0.13320 and the EV-A/EV-B at $0.12340 for PG&E.

That is generation only and there would transmission and distribution charges on top of that.
Pretty sure at least for 3 years ago. This was before I had PWs and was only getting Blue bill. Let me see if I can pull up an old bill

here is my bill for Feb 2020. $.145/kWh Off Peak Winter
Summer may have been a bit more, but not much
The Winter Off-Peak pricing is $0.14567/kWh and the SVCE historical number for EV2A PG&E generation was $0.09321 that leaves on $0.05246 for distribution and transmission. The fixed cost per kWh was $0.06492/kWh in October 2020, so this rate must have been an EVA or EVB rate to be that low. EV-A Winter Off-Peak is currently $0.22005, so that is 51% higher. If it was really EV2A then that is $0.24699 now which is 70% higher.

The Winter Off-Peak pricing is $0.14567/kWh and the SVCE historical number for EV2A PG&E generation was $0.09321 that leaves on $0.05246 for distribution and transmission. The fixed cost per kWh was $0.06492/kWh in October 2020, so this rate must have been an EVA or EVB rate to be that low. EV-A Winter Off-Peak is currently $0.22005, so that is 51% higher. If it was really EV2A then that is $0.24699 now which is 70% higher.

I said I have been on EV1-A and still am. So that rate was EV1-A back in 2020. I have one more year of EV1-A

Mistake above. Unified Residential and TOU Residential rates are available back to May 1, 2019. Prior to that is available too, but the Tiered Residential rates are separated from TOU in separate files further down the web page that I linked. They actually go all the way back to Jan 1, 2008.