Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E rate plans for those with solar and medical baseline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 4.2 Kw solar system. We also qualify for medical baseline. Our current rate plan is E1 S residential. Our allowances are as follows:
Tier 1: 480 KWh @ $0.32/kWh
Additional Medical baseline: 526.02 kWh @ $0.32/kWh
Total Tier 1 allowance: 1006.02 kWh @ $0.32/kWh

Tier 2 is charged @ $0.39/kWh

In the hot month of June/July we used 1033 kwh of electricity. Our net true up NEM was $197 for the month.

So my questions are:
1) Are we on the correct rate plan for a home with solar panels and an EV?
2) I can charge at Electrify America for $4/mo for the pass, and $0.31 kWh, which is lower than what we're paying now. (I've already ordered the CSS adaptor)
3) Or I can charge at Superchargers for $0.31 to $0.46/kWh depending on time of day
4) So is it even worth it for me to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage at a cost of several hundred dollars and then pay PG&E their high rates versus using just going to a commercial charging station?

Have you looked at EV2-A rates with the medical need?
Yes. The only way the EV2-A rate would make sense is if the garage where the Tesla charges were to be metered separately from the main house. Otherwise the TOU rate would kill us, since it stays hot here in the summers until about 11pm. So we've always got 8 tons of AC running lol. I don't know if the garage could be metered separate and what it would cost to add a separate meter.