Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Rate Schedules: "Home Charging" (EV2-A) Goes Live vs. Others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As expected/planned, PG&E unveils new "Home Charging" rate schedule.

With an undersized solar, here is what the rate comparison tool says:
Electric Vehicle Rate Plan EV-A: $700 /yr
Home Charging EV2-A $1,350 /year
Time-of-Use (Peak Pricing 3-8 pm Weekdays) E-TOU-A $1,450 /year
Tiered Rate Plan E-1 $1,490 /year
Time-of-Use (Peak Pricing 4-9 pm Weekdays) E-TOU-B $1,495 /year
Time-of-Use (Peak Pricing 4–9 pm Every Day) $1,560 /year

Unfortunately it looks like the detailed rate sheet hasn't been updated. It'd be interesting to see the actual rates.

The problem with the comparison tool is it doesn't account for changes in behavior. The EV2-A rate seems to offer incentives for using a Powerwall to offset the 3pm-midnight energy usage. In the comparison tool, EV2-A rate comes out as the worst rate plan for me, but I'm pretty sure if I used my Powerwalls that way my usage would be much less than the tool estimates.

• Informative
Reactions: Amit519
The problem with the comparison tool is it doesn't account for changes in behavior. The EV2-A rate seems to offer incentives for using a Powerwall to offset the 3pm-midnight energy usage...
In terms of behavior changes, I have already been charging the EV at midnight, so no impact there. Although I am 1-month new to Powerwall, the 9PM peak did not change. The only behavior change is there is no cost penalty to charge in the morning.

It seem as if PG&E programmed (via careful analysis) the solar benefits out of existing rate schedules after the advent of EV-A.

Reactions: astrorob
PGE EV2-A Rate Chart.jpg

Notable changes other than the above change in hours of each rate period:
  • Schedule is the same every day. No more weekend schedule and no more holidays.
  • Summer is 4 months 6/1-9/30 instead of 6 months 5/1-10/31
  • Off-Peak rate is 15.6c/kWh instead of 13.0-13.3c/kWh.
  • Part-Peak rate is about 10c/kWh higher on EV2, Peak is roughly the same or slightly lower.

View attachment 425441

Notable changes other than the above change in hours of each rate period:
  • Schedule is the same every day. No more weekend schedule and no more holidays.
  • Summer is 4 months 6/1-9/30 instead of 6 months 5/1-10/31
  • Off-Peak rate is 15.6c/kWh instead of 13.0-13.3c/kWh.
  • Part-Peak rate is about 10c/kWh higher on EV2, Peak is roughly the same or slightly lower.
The CA utilities are getting in sync with their super-late "peak-hours" (PG&E, SCE, SDGE, etc). Oversized arrays, and/or batteries is the only way to keep up at this point.

Did PG&E update to modern DST times with this update, or still old schedule?

All those that installed near 100% capacity and NEM-2 are getting screwed because you'll need to export most off your off-peak hours to break-even for peak.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Did PG&E update to modern DST times with this update, or still old schedule?
Strangely, the DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ADJUSTMENT paragraph is missing from the EV2 tariff. I'm sure they just forgot it. They have until the last Sunday in October to fix the tariff.

BTW, my comparison above is not correct. The EV-A rate was increased on July 1 also. Off-Peak is now $0.13452/kWh Summer and $0.13778 Winter.

Last edited:
Looking at the unbundled rates, I think this rate plan may have interesting effects on those of us with CCA's. The unbundled distribution rates have a huge differential for off=peak vs on-peak rates (summer is $.00266/$.16353/$.22931, winter $.00965/$.15487/$.15908). This will have the effect of moving NEM credits from the CCA to PG&E, which kind of sucks since my CCA pays out excess credits at true-up where PG&E just eats them.

Looking at the unbundled rates, I think this rate plan may have interesting effects on those of us with CCA's. The unbundled distribution rates have a huge differential for off=peak vs on-peak rates (summer is $.00266/$.16353/$.22931, winter $.00965/$.15487/$.15908). This will have the effect of moving NEM credits from the CCA to PG&E, which kind of sucks since my CCA pays out excess credits at true-up where PG&E just eats them.
This is an interesting point. However, I think you need to look at the comparison between EV-A and EV2-A and how they allocate the generation between the two tariffs. I have cut up the 7/1/2019 tariff sheets to show the unbundled rates side by side.

PGE EV vs EV2 Unbundled.jpg

You will notice that the Summer Peak has reduced the Generation charge almost 9c/kWh from EV to EV2 while the Off-Peak Generation is actually increased. This should mitigate some of the impact of changing sunrise to 3pm to Off-Peak by giving you slightly more CCA Generation Credit for the generation during those hours. The Winter Off-Peak Generation on EV2 is actually higher than the Part-Peak Generation on EV. With EV2 having 8 months of Winter, this may be significant for some users.

Yep. When I checked earlier today, Making sense of the rates hadn't been updated to point to the new tariff sheet. It now is.

However, earlier today (before the update), it could be found under Tariffs.

Thanks for point out the new rates.

I updated a comparison spreadsheet I had with PG&E TOU rates (excluding EV-B) with the new PG&E rates for EV-A & EV2-A rates. A sample of my solar production is noted in the left side with dark blue being the strongest (greatest power).

Rates-S.JPG

Rates-W.JPG

I looked into this rate schedule yesterday. As usual, denizens of the hot interior valleys of California get hosed with this rate. The proforma comparison that PGE whipped up for us showed that our current annual cost is ~$525 under NEM1. The EV-2 estimate under the same usage pattern would pencil out to be ~$835.

Our general usage pattern during summer is that we can keep the house comfortable without running the AC if the daytime high is about 95, and the overnight low hits the low 60s. Once the afternoon temps approach 95, we start running the AC around 4:30-5:00. By the time the heat hits triple digits, the AC goes on around 2:30-3:00. We usually can shut it off between 7:00 and 8:00.

Our peak-hour usage is really only the HVAC. Computers and television are minimal as is the refrigerator.

Grrrr!

I am on EV-A plan for last 5+ years. My new solar system was turned on today (July 5th). I don't have Powerwall. Will I be forced to move to EV2-A?

You may not be grandfathered in per PG&E's EV Tariff page:

Pursuant to D.17-01-006, as revised by D. 17-02-017 and D. 17-10-018, for grandfathered service, certain solar customers will be allowed to continue service on Rate A of this schedule. Specifically, solar customers that interconnected by December 16, 2016, and elected service under Schedule EV prior to July 31, 2017, are allowed to retain service under this schedule for five years after issuance of the permission to operate, but no later than July 31, 2022. In addition, pursuant to D. 16-01-044, net energy metering customers that interconnected after December 15, 2016 and elected service on Rate Option A of this rate schedule may also continue service on this rate schedule for a period of 5 years from the date the customer commenced service on the NEM 2.0 rate, but no later than July 1, 2024.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
It's a bit maddening figuring all this out. Is there anyone here still on E6? Trying to determine if EV2 makes better sense. I don't expect PG&E keeping E6 rate schedule much longer, and once I switch, there's no going back.

We have two EVs, three powerwalls and 8KW solar, so it should be relatively easy to schedule for the best rates. I expect to be generating more power than we actually use, so higher peak rates might be an advantage.

But then, if PG&E switches on "virtual power plant" options for the powerwalls, we get another rate to consider. Maddening...

I'm still on E-6 and PG&E's compare tool tells me that EV2-A will be cheaper per year (IIRC $630/year vs. $690/year on E-6).

I'm considering switching over to EV2-A even though I absolutely hate the time and day bands they defined. Still investigating.

I don't have any solar or energy storage. I wouldn't be surprised if the above tools are broken/disabled if you have that.

I almost never charge my EVs at home as it is. My 2nd EV, a '19 Bolt I got at end of Jan 2019 has been charged at home once, and that was just to top it off before a long drive.

It's a bit maddening figuring all this out. Is there anyone here still on E6? Trying to determine if EV2 makes better sense. I don't expect PG&E keeping E6 rate schedule much longer, and once I switch, there's no going back.

We have two EVs, three powerwalls and 8KW solar, so it should be relatively easy to schedule for the best rates. I expect to be generating more power than we actually use, so higher peak rates might be an advantage.

But then, if PG&E switches on "virtual power plant" options for the powerwalls, we get another rate to consider. Maddening...
Honestly, I think you're too late. I think the best option would have been to change from E-6 to EV-A before July 1. However, if you are net surplus on kWh it may not matter and you can just sit tight until they kick you out of E-6. Are you on the Marin County CCA, MCE Clean Energy?

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet