Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Rate Schedules: "Home Charging" (EV2-A) Goes Live vs. Others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd call and ask. My impression is that the data in the opower-based tools lags by a day or so.

Anyway PG&E doesn't always make rate changes smoothly. When I first switched to EV-A in 2016, some parts of PG&E picked up the new rate plan and some didn't. My next couple of bills were wrong; it took a couple months and some time on the phone with PG&E to correct.

Yep I suppose calling them might not be a bad idea either, thanks!

Bruce.

If I’m being migrated forcibly from EV-A to EV2-A, how can I find out the day of the cut-over? In other words what day do I need to change my Powerwall settings (EV charging was already after midnight). I don’t have a high degree of confidence that the PG&E Web site would reflect any rate plan changes in a timely manner, but to be fair this is based on no evidence whatsoever. I’d like to hear others’ experiences.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Yup, changeover is on your billing cycle. So check the PG&E site daily just before and after and it should reflect the change. And remember that you need to tweak the partial peak window on EV2-A as it occurs both before and after the peak time, and as I recall the way you need to drag the sliders in the Tesla app to adjust time periods is counter-intuitive.

Enjoy--you're gonna hate EV2-A...:)

• Funny
Reactions: bmah
Well I was just switched from EV-A to EV2-A. For the July (June 22nd - July 20th) billing cycle, my bill changed fairly dramatically:

Year: 2019 2020
kWh: 174 -56
Cost: -35.91 30.01

So we contributed an extra 232 kWh this year to the grid, thanks in part to less driving due to COVID. Yet still experienced a $65 increase in our bill. :(

Looking at the rate comparison tool, I'd be better off switching to straight TOU or even E-1.

Well I was just switched from EV-A to EV2-A. For the July (June 22nd - July 20th) billing cycle, my bill changed fairly dramatically:

So we contributed an extra 232 kWh this year to the grid, thanks in part to less driving due to COVID. Yet still experienced a $65 increase in our bill. :(

Looking at the rate comparison tool, I'd be better off switching to straight TOU or even E-1.

Depends on whether you have Powerwalls and can time shift. If you don't have Powerwalls, yes, the old tiered plans might be better. With Powerwalls, best is to optimize your Time Based Control and keep on EVs-A.

Depends on whether you have Powerwalls and can time shift. If you don't have Powerwalls, yes, the old tiered plans might be better. With Powerwalls, best is to optimize your Time Based Control and keep on EVs-A.

No Powerwalls or other home storage. I've been timing the car charging to be after midnight, rather than 11 PM, for the past year in anticipation of the change. Most of our appliances (cooktop, clothes dryer, hot water, etc) are natgas. Almost all lighting is LED, the rest is CFL. So besides the cars, the major electrical users are the ovens and HVAC. I could tune the HVAC a bit better. But bottom line is that I need both more solar and some storage.

New to forum and catching up as fast as I can. Can one be on E-1 with solar? I have 2 cars...Tesla X and S. Just signed up to solar. I had switched from E-1 to EV2-A 5 months ago before getting solar. I use most of my electricity from 4-10p HVAC in summer and 6-9p spa in winter. I'll produce more than I consume but not enough to cover EV2-A differences as many have pointed out. Is anyone doing solar on E-1? The form I have to start solar w/ PG&E to get PTO seems to say that I have to be on TOU?

New to forum and catching up as fast as I can. Can one be on E-1 with solar? I have 2 cars...Tesla X and S. Just signed up to solar. I had switched from E-1 to EV2-A 5 months ago before getting solar. I use most of my electricity from 4-10p HVAC in summer and 6-9p spa in winter. I'll produce more than I consume but not enough to cover EV2-A differences as many have pointed out. Is anyone doing solar on E-1? The form I have to start solar w/ PG&E to get PTO seems to say that I have to be on TOU?

Welcome! I don't think there is any problem staying with E-1. But I think they only let you switch plans once a year. (Am sure I'll be quickly corrected if wrong... :D)

Shift as much load as you can (car charging, laundry, dishwasher, etc) to happen off-peak between midnight and 3 pm. Prime time rates, between 4-9 PM are just horrible ($0.48/kWh summer, $0.35/kWh winter). Mid-peak rates are in the $0.30-something range. Make sure as much of your lighting as possible is LED. Today I reprogrammed my HVAC system to "precondition" the house by 3 pm. Then let the temperature drift to some extent in the evening.

Reactions: aesculus
Welcome! I don't think there is any problem staying with E-1. But I think they only let you switch plans once a year. (Am sure I'll be quickly corrected if wrong... :D)

Shift as much load as you can (car charging, laundry, dishwasher, etc) to happen off-peak between midnight and 3 pm. Prime time rates, between 4-9 PM are just horrible ($0.48/kWh summer, $0.35/kWh winter). Mid-peak rates are in the $0.30-something range. Make sure as much of your lighting as possible is LED. Today I reprogrammed my HVAC system to "precondition" the house by 3 pm. Then let the temperature drift to some extent in the evening.
Thank you! We did shift usage similar to what you recommended. One can change twice a year.
Issue w staying on ev-2a is that I’d have to generate 2-3x between sunrise to 3p what I consume from 3-10p. That’s unlikely. I think e-1 or e-tou-d both work better as I generate more than i consume.

Is it worth buying 2 battery's just so I can shift the peak usage off the battery and charger it back up during the day? And of course charge the car at 12am-morning. They charge so much for delivery sigh. Feel like this is gonna keep going up every year

Thank you! We did shift usage similar to what you recommended. One can change twice a year.
Issue w staying on ev-2a is that I’d have to generate 2-3x between sunrise to 3p what I consume from 3-10p. That’s unlikely. I think e-1 or e-tou-d both work better as I generate more than i consume.
If you generate more than you consume, then there is little reason to go on TOU unless you can get reimbursement for generation at retail rate from a CCA and it will overcome the PG&E portion. Did the San Jose CCA start up yet? What are their solar terms? Do they give you full Generation rate reimbursement?

Reactions: wws
If you generate more than you consume, then there is little reason to go on TOU unless you can get reimbursement for generation at retail rate from a CCA and it will overcome the PG&E portion. Did the San Jose CCA start up yet? What are their solar terms? Do they give you full Generation rate reimbursement?
So I should stay on E-1 then. Thank you! The form seemed to indicate that I have to be on TOU, not sure. I'll confirm. I think reimbursement is at retail so not worth tracking. Retail is about 1/5 the price we get charged so insignificant .

Is it worth buying 2 battery's just so I can shift the peak usage off the battery and charger it back up during the day? And of course charge the car at 12am-morning. They charge so much for delivery sigh. Feel like this is gonna keep going up every year
I doubt you will find the cost differential to be worth it unless you qualify for SGIP.

Many of us justify the value of not being impacted by the PSPS. Even time shifting power use and selling what I produce back at peak rates is just a rounding error when you consider the total cost of both the solar and PWs.

Maybe someday if PG&E implements paying us for total solar production that we can export ALL during peak maybe, but I am sure they will wiggle out of paying us retail rates then, so I am not holding my breath.

Reactions: ChrisJ
Argh..I meant reimbursement is not at retail.
I called PG&E. E-1 is not available to solar customers. Only EV2A, ETOUC and ETOUD. The latter having the shortest peak 5-8p.

Peak: 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday through Friday : Summer - $0.36476, Winter - $0.29089
Off-Peak: All other times including Holidays: Summer - $0.26980, Winter - $0.27351

Summer has the greatest variance of 35%, winter is a wash. So I need to generate 35% more power from sunrise-5pm weekday and weekends which seems doable given I don't use much power before 6pm.

I'm still on ETOUA and just purchased a MX a few months ago. I've been 100% supercharging but curious if anyone knows what happens if I go over my baseline allowance?

I absolutely love my grandfathered ETOUA plan so don't want to be pushed into any other option if I decide to start charging more from home moving forward. Any insight is greatly appreciated.