Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Rates??? For California owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@strider, what is your rationale for switching? The new rates do kick in an extra hour of Off-Peak charging at night (starting at 11pm instead of midnight), but on weekends, the Part-Peak 3pm-7pm times becomes a full On-Peak.

And then there's the tiering. If you pull alot of juice, the newer rates might be better since there's no tiering penalty. However, for lighter use, the tiered rates could be advantageous.

Last edited:
What are the new time periods, then? Do you have a link?

http://www.pge.com/nots/rates/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_4231-E.pdf

The time periods you mentioned above are correct, I believe. The attached is dated July 8. I may be wrong, but I thought there was a prior version of the time periods within the last month or two where the proposed time periods were a little more generous and there would be more off peak time. Peak time is now until 9 p.m. on weekdays. A friend of mine just switched to the EV-A plan. He had sent me the last update and I was actually considering switching, but I don't think I charge my car enough at home to offset the significantly higher rates and extended time period for peak. I'll see if I can find what he had sent me previously.

Update -- my friend had been *told* verbally by PGE on 7.23.13 that the following time periods would apply to the new EV rate (there was nothing in writing). Obviously he was either given incorrect information or he didn't capture the partial peak periods in the evening following the peak (either way, it doesn't matter, but point is still that you basically can only capture the really low rates on the new EV plan in the middle of the night):
Summer

Peak
12pm-6pm 0.37

Partial Peak
830am-1200pm 0.20

Off Peak 0.09

Winter

Peak no “peak”

Partial Peak
830am-930pm 0.16

Off Peak 0.10

Last edited:
I've tried to do some calculations on the PGE website to compare E-6 to the new EV plan, and I keep getting results that don't seem correct. No matter what numbers I put into the calculator for monthly average usage in the summer and winter, and no matter how little or much I enter for daily mileage on a Model S, the EV rate comes back cheaper. I recognize there are tiers in the E-6 program, but I figured that with the extra discounts on rates for the Smart Choice (or whatever the PGE program is called), and despite the fact I do about half or more of my charging at work, the PGE website says I will save money on the EV plan.

Has anyone else compared their usage on the E-6 plan to the new EV plan?

And then there's the tiering. If you pull alot of juice, the newer rates might be better since there's no tiering penalty. However, for lighter use, the tiered rates could be advantageous.

The new EV plan is a no-brainer for me considering that even before I got my Model S, I was already in the topmost tier on the E1 plan - and therefore all my Model S charging was costing me 35c/kWh. With the EV plan, as long as I charge in off-peak hours, I will pay 10c/kWh. And just to be sure, I modeled my entire past few months usage thoroughly with the new EV rates to confirm my overall savings.

The new EV plan is a no-brainer for me considering that even before I got my Model S, I was already in the topmost tier on the E1 plan - and therefore all my Model S charging was costing me 35c/kWh. With the EV plan, as long as I charge in off-peak hours, I will pay 10c/kWh. And just to be sure, I modeled my entire past few months usage thoroughly with the new EV rates to confirm my overall savings.

Did you compare TOU E-6 with SmartRate plan vs. EV? I am into Tier 3 every month but never Tier 4 as I only charge MS maybe 30 kWh a week at home.

I've looked at this thread, PGE E-9A vs E-6 for Model S owners with Solar,
but the rates that were used as a comparison are old and do not reflect added discounted rates for SmartRate under E-6. I'm using about 500-600 kWh a month even in summer and trying to figure out whether EV would be cheaper. I'm very dubious of the PG&E website's comparison calculator where EV plan is always better than E-1 and E-6 no matter how much usage. I must be doing something wrong.

I am in the process of installing solar and was told by SolarCity that with a solar system you are better off keeping the E9A rate plan as rates during the daylight hours are higher when you will selling back to the grid. But he indicated PG&E will eventually eliminate the E9A rate plan and migrate everyone to the EV plan.

You want a TOU plan that has peak times during the middle of the day which is when you will be generating the most kWh. This way PG&E credits you back at that higher rate. You just need to make sure you can minimize the usage during the peak times. We have set up everything to be off (except refer) during the peak times and in the summer usually have a on peak credit of around 300kWh a month. You also get a cost break per kWh during off peak times. I'm sure solar city knows the best program for you and your usage.

@strider, what is your rationale for switching? The new rates do kick in an extra hour of Off-Peak charging at night (starting at 11pm instead of midnight), but on weekends, the Part-Peak 3pm-7pm times becomes a full On-Peak.

I rent so solar is not an option and with 2 EVs we are into Tier 5. In June we used 1.2Mwh off-peak so we're looking at ~$40/month in savings from off-peak while peak and part-peak are roughly a wash (we are into Tier 5 for both of those too).

Also, your E9A Tier 4 and 5 rates in the other thread are (slightly) low. Summer Tier 4 and 5 Peak is $0.56212, Summer Tier 4 and 5 Part Peak is $0.35301, and Summer Tier 4 and 5 off-peak are $0.20638 (taken from my June bill)

Any comments on how much it costs to install a second meter? PGE website says this:
Second Meter and Panel: Customers who select the EV-B rate will need a second meter and electrical panel. Customers could opt to replace their existing panel with a dual meter panel although this is generally more costly. The electrician will arrange an inspection and obtain a permit from the city and/or county. In addition to the electrician's installation costs for the second panel, PG&E will bill you $100 for the second meter.

So $100 plus install costs, which could be a few hundred I guess? Will have to do some modeling to see what is best for me when they retire E9A.
Ideal solution may be to get second EV!

I am in the process of installing solar and was told by SolarCity that with a solar system you are better off keeping the E9A rate plan as rates during the daylight hours are higher when you will selling back to the grid. But he indicated PG&E will eventually eliminate the E9A rate plan and migrate everyone to the EV plan.

I did a comparison of E9A vs. EV-A using the past year's consumption for my solar-equipped house with two electric cars. It was basically a wash in the summer months when I generate the most from the PVs and my bills are +/- $100 per month or less. But EV-A will save me 20%-30% in the winter months when my bills are the highest. I switched.