Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Rule 21 $800 Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you applying for a rebate like SGIP?
My understanding is there is no requirement to apply or register if you are not interconnecting to the grid as you would be if you were selling power under a NEM agreement.

No, I don't plan to apply for SGIP or any other rebates.

I am on EV2-A and not NEM as there is no solar.

Then I would cancel or not follow through on the the application. As far as I know all you need is a building permit to install standalone storage or a generator behind the meter. PG&E has no authority over what you plug into or connect to your electrical system unless you explicitly give it to them in some form of agreement.
If you look carefully at the PG&E information the operative word is "MAY" not "MUST"

Then I would cancel or not follow through on the the application. As far as I know all you need is a building permit to install standalone storage or a generator behind the meter. PG&E has no authority over what you plug into or connect to your electrical system unless you explicitly give it to them in some form of agreement.
If you look carefully at the PG&E information the operative word is "MAY" not "MUST"

Thanks. I'll do that. Tesla opened up the PGE application, not me.

Thanks. I'll do that. Tesla opened up the PGE application, not me.
I have heard Tesla is working on a long term plan to aggregate Powerwalls and sell DER (Distibuted Energy Resources) capacity to the grid. At that point it may be beneficial but it would definitely have to be worth paying the interconnect fee before signing up for such vaporware. There are pilot programs in Vermont and Australia doing that but I don't have details. In the meantime you should be able to get a good rate of return just load shifting with your Powerwall.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me. I, and PG&E, sent multiple emails to Tesla and they were ignored. Called CS and they sent emails to the group too. Nada.

Finally it got escalated. Tesla admitted fault and said they were going to reapply.

This all happened in early January. Just late last week I got a confirmation from PG&E that a new app had been submitted and am just waiting the outcome now. Hopefully it won't be this again.

Informative point about accidental requests. Are you saying that there is a smaller fee for Residential requests?
In either case when there is no solar or SGIP funds, I think this was an mistake to even apply to PG&E since there was no interconnection involved.