Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Time taken to Switch to EV-A Rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I finished my SC PV solar install, I then had to wait for the PG&E inspection/meter swap (for Net Metering/Time of Use). This was a couple of weeks. Then I had to call to change to the EV-A rate, and when I called, I got the '1-2 billing cycles' line from the PG&E CSR. I'm sure it takes a couple of keystrokes at their computer, but why rush to lose cash flow...

When I changed from Solar NEM E-6 to NEM E-9A it was effective exactly at the start of the next billing cycle. The policy and changeover may be different if you are not on NEM because of the way they accumulate charges on the True-Up statement with Net Energy Metering. Don't get me started on how they jacked up my billing when I first installed the solar in Dec 2012.

Got a confirmation email from PG&E that the switch to EV-A has been made, starting from the beginning of current billing cycle (retroactive), which was a few days before I first called them. So, in my case, it only took about five working days. I'm impressed!

For those with solar NEM rates, did you decide to switch to EV rate or stay with the NEM rates?
We have E7 TOU with net metering, and stayed with that because we end up getting the lowest bills due to the credit we get in the summer from generating during the peak 12 to 6 when the rate is the highest and it gets credited back. Installed a second meter for the Tesla and that works well because it takes the car off the house billing so we get a better rate and keeps us from going into the higher tiers. Did a spread sheet before deciding the above to see what would work the best.

For those with solar NEM rates, did you decide to switch to EV rate or stay with the NEM rates?
When you have solar NEM with PG&E, you can choose any rate schedule that applies to your account. For residential your choices are E-1 (no time of use), E-6 (normal TOU choice for solar), EV-A (whole house with EV), EV-B (dedicated meter for EV). E-9 was good but is now closed to new customers in lieu of Schedule EV.

I had solar for about 5 months on E-6 before I got an EV and then I changed to E-9A. That is still the lowest annual total $ for my situation. See this thread for how to calculate energy charges based on your own SmartMeter data. The last post in that thread has a Google Docs link to an XLS that you can use with your own data.

I made the request in mid Jan, and expected it to take hold Feb 1st. When I didn't see any change in the online daily usage and cost graphs, I called pge and asked what's up? I was told that the online tracking doesn't switch over until a billing cycle shows the new rate, but we could be assured that we were on the new EVA rate. March arrives with a new bill that shows us sill on old rate. I called and they concurred that we are on the old rate and should have been on the new rate. For some reason their systems were not updated. They escalated this and told me I would receive an adjustment bill that would cover February. All very helpful.

The bottom line is that you may need to follow up with them on rate changes.

Guy