Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PGE rate plan choices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, I do not see anyone getting "off" grid unless they have a LOT of money!!!!!!

It depends on what their definition of "off grid" means. If by "I am going off grid" someone means they are going to ask the utility to "come get your meter off my property, I no longer want it, I dont want an account with you, go away", THAT is going to be "very" hard, in CA, if one lives in an area that is already connected to the utility.

if by "off grid" they mean "I have so much solar and battery storage that I dont use any power from the utility, even during the winter", THAT would just mean one would have to oversize their solar if they can, and have a generator as a backup. You still have an account with the electric utility, you just "arent drawing anything, hardly ever".

That part is still a little hard, because you have to get the utility to approve enough solar on your property to do that, which they dont want to do (but one might be able to talk them into it, by talking about future EVs and pools, etc.)

so why doesn't mine?

I believe @SMAlset posted the answer to that earlier in the thread. Now why one person is in the group to get it, and another isnt, no one knows. Possibly the same way they choose for firmware updates, etc, which appears random to us but might have some criteria we dont know about.

I am on an iphone. When I click on the info button on the Solar Value display this is in part what it says:

Feature Availability​

The Solar Value performance card will be available to customers in stages, and requires mobile app version 3.10.8. It is currently only available in California for select customers of Southern California Edison, San Diego Gas & Electric and Pacific Gas & Electric. Additional utilities and regions will be added routinely.

That said when I see on my app the Silicon Valley Clean Energy generation provider we are under with EV2A, if I tap on the text it does let me then select different rate plans under it. Guess maybe I did this a while ago and forgot how I set it to EV2A duh.

A few words of warning about selecting different plans in this performance section. First, if you are using the Advanced Time Based Controls when you select a new plan it adjusts the settings to match the plan you selected. Well at least it did before version 3.10.12. I just noticed with 3.10.12 there is a pop up to confirm changing the price schedule.

Second, at least for SVCE schedules that I have tried the TOU times are incorrect. I also couldn't manually adjust the schedule and kept getting an error message. I had to switch back to PG&E tariff rates.

It depends on what their definition of "off grid" means. If by "I am going off grid" someone means they are going to ask the utility to "come get your meter off my property, I no longer want it, I dont want an account with you, go away", THAT is going to be "very" hard, in CA, if one lives in an area that is already connected to the utility.

if by "off grid" they mean "I have so much solar and battery storage that I dont use any power from the utility, even during the winter", THAT would just mean one would have to oversize their solar if they can, and have a generator as a backup. You still have an account with the electric utility, you just "arent drawing anything, hardly ever".

That part is still a little hard, because you have to get the utility to approve enough solar on your property to do that, which they dont want to do (but one might be able to talk them into it, by talking about future EVs and pools, etc.)
He sounded like not having a meter or any connection to the grid

We shall find out shortly about the other off grid, since I now have 30K of panels. Will the installer be able to get PTO, they had better!

He sounded like not having a meter or any connection to the grid

We shall find out shortly about the other off grid, since I now have 30K of panels. Will the installer be able to get PTO, they had better!

Was there a reason you and your installer went ahead without a design review or prelim PTO conversation with PG&E? Like what was the rush? Last year there was the looming end to the 26% ITC depending on the outcome of the election. But this year, it's not like you really need those extra panels up right now? What are you planning to do later this year that needs all that extra energy? Like are you converting to heat pumps? Setting up a big "green" house? Mining some BTC?

Was there a reason you and your installer went ahead without a design review or prelim PTO conversation with PG&E? Like what was the rush? Last year there was the looming end to the 26% ITC depending on the outcome of the election. But this year, it's not like you really need those extra panels up right now? What are you planning to do later this year that needs all that extra energy? Like are you converting to heat pumps? Setting up a big "green" house? Mining some BTC?
Was not me pushing!! I kept asking have they submitted stuff!! The only reason doing is the NEM3 stuff. So, this entire process will be interesting. I got a bill for 90% of cost yesterday. I said but wait, but the contract says after install, its 90%. I still have some strings they need to move. I asked lets get county final done so they can submit to PGE. Oh well, whats the worst that happens, I eat some money, and give folks a lesson to not make my mistake. But again, I have asked MANY times I wanted them to get PGE approval before install!!!

I think Getakey and I are facing the same issue. Our latest version of the app and PW firmware do not show anything else on the screen on that menu page. The selections you see in your UI are not what we see (I'm on iOS).

As @SMAlset posted, the notes say "Select customers". No idea how they "selected" the customers. I dont think you and @getakey have tesla EVs, for example, while I do. Just speculation, but I wonder if that has something to do with "selection"?

here's the screen

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210616-104813.png
    Screenshot_20210616-104813.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 97
I thought there was some rule that said you couldn't go off grid unless you could somehow execute your on-prem generation during long stretches of cloudcover without the use of fossil fuels?

Are you also going to get a backup inverter or are you on distributed/micros?

I called PG&E this am after considering your post. I described what I was doing and asked for the procedure to disconnect. They said that I could call and request a disconnect date up to 30 days in advance and up to 90 days if registered online. There is no specific procedure or requirement to follow. They will ask for an address for the final bill......

I called PG&E this am after considering your post. I described what I was doing and asked for the procedure to disconnect. They said that I could call and request a disconnect date up to 30 days in advance and up to 90 days if registered online. There is no specific procedure or requirement to follow. They will ask for an address for the final bill......

It would be interesting to see if when you asked " what is the disconnect procedure" if they actually understood that as "I intend to stay at this property but expect you to come take the meter away".

Someone from PGE wouldnt even imagine someone "disconnecting" in that way. When they are talking about "disconnect" its normally "I am moving and want to disconnect service at this address, so that someone else can move in and put it in their name".

You might want to contact them again and make sure they understood when you said "disconnect" you ment "come get your meter off my property" and not "I am moving out and want to disconnect service for someone else to take it over".

Reactions: FlatSix911
It would be interesting to see if when you asked " what is the disconnect procedure" if they actually understood that as "I intend to stay at this property but expect you to come take the meter away".

Someone from PGE wouldnt even imagine someone "disconnecting" in that way. When they are talking about "disconnect" its normally "I am moving and want to disconnect service at this address, so that someone else can move in and put it in their name".

You might want to contact them again and make sure they understood when you said "disconnect" you ment "come get your meter off my property" and not "I am moving out and want to disconnect service for someone else to take it over".
I agree that PG&E probably thought a disconnect as in moving. I believe it is illegal in CA to go off grid when grid service is available. Search on Grid Defection

I don't know how old this article is