Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PGE Transfer Switch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GenerLink has been around for years. It's more likely PG&E decided to OEM GenerLink to get around their policy of not allowing non-PG&E owned equipment to touch the grid. Tesla backup switch doesn't have connection for portable generators.

Interesting. But where I live, at a lake, they take us out of the high fire area :(

lop fire.jpg

GenerLink has been around for years. It's more likely PG&E decided to OEM GenerLink to get around their policy of not allowing non-PG&E owned equipment to touch the grid. Tesla backup switch doesn't have connection for portable generators.

Thats very cool. Does one need a permit? Does PGE have an issue? And seems easy to install, and remove and take it with you when one moves

Too smart for PG&E. They took our money to reinvent the wheel from scratch:

"Developed from scratch by a PG&E research and development team using funds from the California Energy Commission’s Electric Program Investment Charge — which funds research and development — the device is connected to the home’s meter socket and comes with a 20-foot cable"

I just approved the documents for installing a 3rd Powerwall. One of the documents Tesla had me approve is to allow PG&E to install a backup power transfer switch as part of a trial program. However, I have a 400 amp service entrance and my understanding is the transfer switches are only available for 200 amp service panels.
Is PG&E also doing 400 amp backup power transfer switches or is this just another instance where Tesla isn't paying attention to what it is doing? My 400 amp entrance panel is a combination load center with a 200 amp breaker for my shop load center and another 200 amp breaker that provides power to my house subpanel.