Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Biker in Rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wet CA weather today. I was out for some groceries when I noticed a phantom biker appearing and disappearing constantly behind me in the instrument cluster. Rearview camera was blurred from moisture, which was causing this "biker" to show up. It makes me wonder if FSD could ever be 100% hands off simply from obstructed camera views. My guess is it'll be Level 3 autonomous driving with driver input expected at times. Anyone expecting L4 or L5 FSD?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Rearview camera was blurred from moisture

It is caused by water droplets accumulated on the rear camera acting as mini lenses, making distant lights appear close, which is interpreted as a motorbike and/or car immediately behind.

I noticed it quite a lot one damp night after the car oscillated 3 times on an AP lane change with no other vehicles even close.

This snap [with rear camera view open] is from then having just passed a truck in the other lane with no other traffic on the road:
Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 13.48.34.png

And within 3 seconds it changed to this:
Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 14.02.00.png

The other cameras won't suffer from this problem as they are in a wind-stream, so effects on FSD should hopefully be limited.

Still, it is inarguably a design flaw.

The lack of cleaning capabilities in general is a design flaw. If/when FSD ever arrives it will need a way to clean cameras that get dirty.