Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KArnold

May 21, 2017
Columbus OH

I'm not trolling but ran across this. I wonder if it could be related to a phantom braking incident. Was hoping maybe locals had additional insight.

The San Francisco Fire Department said six people were trapped in cars and had to be rescued.

Shayna Kelly, who was driving at the time of the crash, said a Tesla was abruptly stopping and swerving just before the crash.

"He just made a sudden stop," Kelly said. "There was nowhere to go, you couldn’t go left, right, nowhere."

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
The thing that irks me is that you would never see an article that said the driver of the (Ford, Toyota, BMW, whatever) was abruptly stopping and swerving before the crash. You would just imagine that the driver was avoiding something or was intoxicated. But if a Tesla is involved in any way, it's "it must be on autopilot. Those things are dangerous, they hit children..."

There was an accident in Palm Springs last year (it's been reported here on the forum) that involved a Tesla, which I believe was in the headline or subhead. It turns out the Tesla was rear-ended by another vehicle.

There was an accident in Palm Springs last year (it's been reported here on the forum)

I am fully convinced that EVERY accident that includes a tesla that was ever reported anywhere, ends up being linked on this forum. There are lots of people who love (love love love) ensuring that every accident that involves a tesla that they can find is discussed, dissected, parsed, etc.

Its different in that respect than any other car forum I have been on, this fixation.

7ADAE516-487B-4A31-B9AC-ACA8CB4E6292.png

The thing that irks me is that you would never see an article that said the driver of the (Ford, Toyota, BMW, whatever) was abruptly stopping and swerving before the crash. You would just imagine that the driver was avoiding something or was intoxicated. But if a Tesla is involved in any way, it's "it must be on autopilot. Those things are dangerous, they hit children..."

There was an accident in Palm Springs last year (it's been reported here on the forum) that involved a Tesla, which I believe was in the headline or subhead. It turns out the Tesla was rear-ended by another vehicle.
I'm not saying that phantom braking or other Autopilot/FSD/FSDb anomalies don't occur, they do, all the time.
But you don't see other makes mentioned in everyday accident news.

My wife and I drove, to and back, from Santa Fe to Las Cruces, NM in FSD beta (about a 4-hour drive each way) on I25 and had around 10 phantom breaks. On one break I was traveling at 75 miles per hour and out of nowhere, the car suddenly breaked to 49 miles per hour for no foreseen reason. The car may have actually come to a complete stop, but I hit the accelerator at 49 miles per hour. Many of the other PB could have been just as bad, but I accelerated the car to prevent it from happening. If we were in heavy traffic, we could have caused an accident. My wife is afraid of FSD beta version 10.6.9.3.1. I know when on an Interstate the car is in Auto Pilot, not FSD, but that version gives you an idea of what software version is on my 2022 model S. Is this a common problem with other people? I know it is beta software, but this is downright scary.

I also have a 2022 model S that I have put over 11,000 miles on. I don't have FSD, just standard autopilot. I have never experienced any PB instances like the ones discussed on these forums. On rare occasions on the highway, if the vehicle in the next lane started to get too close, the car has slowed by 2 or 3 mph. That's it. When the Tesla vision update came through, which disabled the radar, I was very careful for a while, especially with sharp tree shadows across the road or overpass shadows, but nothing ever happened. If anything, the Tesla Vision seems to see further into the distance and gives earlier warnings of things in my lane ahead of me.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ and CyberGus
2021 MSP- Had FSD {subscription) for one year-finally fed up with PB-got rid (unsubscribed) of useless FSD-now on normal Non FSD firmware and No PB for 3,000 miles. Auto Pilot works just fine and No the Auto High Beams do Not come on, and yes the windshield wipers work normal. On 2022.44.2 currently.

This accident resurfaced in the news, citing “full self driving.” I am wondering if FSD beta is even available on the bay bridge, or does it revert to standard autopilot there, as it does on most other freeways and “limited access” roads. Has anyone in the area noticed one way or the other on this bridge?

I also wonder if phantom breaking is an fsd thing, or does standard autopilot do it too. My wife’s profile does not do FSD, but she does recall phantom breaking.

Thanks for any relevant observations.

SW

Just discovered this thread. We have a '21 Model 3, and have made several trips on I-25 between Raton Pass (Colorado state line) and Albuquerque. We don't have FSD, but I've had the same PB issues as BobGillis with just Autopilot, mostly along I-25 but on occasion elsewhere as well. Almost got rear-ended on I-25 at the beginning of December, that was the worst one. I've essentially had to quit using Autopilot anywhere out of fear of an accident.

I bought a Datsun 310 in 1980 which had cruise control (obviously not adaptive). It worked fine. Almost a quarter way into the 21st century I now own a car that doesn't have any working cruise control, adaptive or otherwise. What is Tesla doing about it? What should I be doing about it?

I'm not sure that phantom braking will ever be resolved. It's been one of the biggest issues with automated Teslas for years now and they've never been able to resolve it. I worry that if it's not resolved there could be legislation to outlaw Tesla automation before long. That combined with the huge plummet of Tesla stock, Musk's focus on Twitter and increased competition could be a death knell for the company.

I'm not sure that phantom braking will ever be resolved. It's been one of the biggest issues with automated Teslas for years now and they've never been able to resolve it. I worry that if it's not resolved there could be legislation to outlaw Tesla automation before long. That combined with the huge plummet of Tesla stock, Musk's focus on Twitter and increased competition could be a death knell for the company.
It'll leave a hole in the market, which will be filled by the other established car mfgs. That's the power of the free market.