Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking/1st Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
500 highway miles today in AZ/NM in the 21 M3LR - probably at least a dozen phantom brakings in AP. Just cruising along and outta nowhere she slows way down when there's a car stopped on the side of the road or a car approaching on the other side of a crest of a hill, big rigs too close to the center line, approaching a bridge. Really annoying and not safe. Maybe radar isn't so bad?

Does AP learn the same as FSD?

Is FSD driving that bad?

So I have to accelerate above the max cruise speed to get out of a situation and AP punishes me by taking away auto steer for the reminder of the drive? Seems stupid and again, not safe.

ABRP estimated the charges at about $10, but it was about $45, about 9 cents/mile. Not much less than gas. .29-.35kwh,

500 highway miles today in AZ/NM in the 21 M3LR - probably at least a dozen phantom brakings in AP. Just cruising along and outta nowhere she slows way down when there's a car stopped on the side of the road or a car approaching on the other side of a crest of a hill, big rigs too close to the center line, approaching a bridge. Really annoying and not safe.
I would say it's annoying, but not necessarily less safe. There's been accidents of the car plowing into emergency vehicles on the side of the road when on AP and Tesla is under investigation for it. There haven't however been wide reports of Tesla's being rear ended from phantom braking.
Federal Government Opens Safety Defect Investigation Into Tesla Autopilot Crashes
Maybe radar isn't so bad?
Radar cars had phantom braking too.

AP doesn't "learn". There are interesting bits that might be sent to the mothership and that might affect things in a future update, but there is no local "learning" happening (same deal with FSD). All the "learning" is done on Tesla's supercomputer in Tesla's HQ and then the results are downloaded to the cars.

Is FSD driving that bad?
FSD Beta has not been merged into the highway stack, so it is no different than regular AP. They may merge the stack in the future, but no exact timetable.

Last edited:
500 highway miles today in AZ/NM in the 21 M3LR - probably at least a dozen phantom brakings in AP. Just cruising along and outta nowhere she slows way down when there's a car stopped on the side of the road or a car approaching on the other side of a crest of a hill, big rigs too close to the center line, approaching a bridge. Really annoying and not safe. Maybe radar isn't so bad?

Is FSD driving that bad?

So I have to accelerate above the max cruise speed to get out of a situation and AP punishes me by taking away auto steer for the reminder of the drive? Seems stupid and again, not safe.

ABRP estimated the charges at about $10, but it was about $45, about 9 cents/mile. Not much less than gas. .29-.35kwh,
I've had my M3LR for just over a year. It still suffers from phantom breaking. Never on interstate highways, but once in a while on secondary roads. It will sometimes happen while going around a curve with another car approaching from the opposite direction. I rarely use auto steer, so that's not the issue. I think it's radar &/or camera systems just can't distinguish exactly what lane an oncoming car is in while going around a curve. I used to own a 2016 Volvo S60 and when I had it in cruise control it would sometimes do the same thing, so I don't think it's strictly a Tesla issue.

Having upgraded from a M3 to a Vison MY, What is being described here is not what most think. The phantom braking is MUCH worse on the vision cars. So much so that you usually won't use it at all, especially if someone is behind you.

I have no doubt the radar was removed before they were ready due to parts shortages, despite what Elon has said. 2 years in M3 with radar and phantom braking was pretty rare, but could happen here and there.

I can drive on back roads with no other cars and this Vision MY will slam on brakes and drop 20 MPH. It will for no reason I can tell, ask for me to take control immediately (not because you aren't holding tension on the wheel).

On a 3 hour drive on 55 MPH roads with almost no traffic, I can expect 10-15 phantom events.

Like the poster, Hills, Sunlight, Semi's all cause reactions not present on non-Vision Tesla's.

And, YES, I did try to get service and they said it was normal and in Beta.

At this point we hope software updates correct the issue over time or they admit radar does have a place. I fully expect class action lawsuits to force this issue with the large quantity of Vision cars being produced if they don't get it to a safe and usable level.

Also, we have a lot of people of use autopilot once in a while and swear, 'it's fine'. I put 32K miles on my M3 and most was on adventures around the U.S. while using Auto Pilot, so I feel pretty strongly about this error as I am stuck with 55K car that I desperately wanted to be amazing and this blunder has really let me down.

I had a 15 S...never had a phantom braking issue, now i have a 21 M3P...had my first on road trip this past weekend....traveling at 75mph on I-40 in NC....luckily no one around, but scared the hell outta us..lol....at the exact spot, there was a road repair on old gray road, and the repair was "bright" black......possibly to blame???...at 3000 miles, had that 1 event....