Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

phantom braking. Are you still experiencing it with latest software update?

Are you still experiencing it with latest software update

• yes

Votes: 89 72.4%
  • no

Votes: 34 27.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using autopilot on and off for the past year....just yesterday, I was on it on my usual route and the phantom brake came on really aggressively while I was going about 75 with some folks around me. Luckily the person behind me left a huge gap, but I think if they were driving right behind me, it would have been a potential accident. There were no cars right in front of me in my lane, but there was one to my left that I was passing. Prior to this, I haven't felt it for a long time.

It gets scary if a 3rd lane on the right disappears and a car is coming up on your right side. Rather than keeping a steady speed, and driving in a straight line it swerves to the right to the middle of merge lane in front of the other car it hits the brake. Scares the hell out of me and the person driving the other car.

Reactions: Big Earl
It happened to me yesterday on the highway. I was in the left lane going 79mph. The car in front of me (I had 4 lengths distance programmed in) brakes slightly to move into the middle lane between 2 cars. My Y must have interpreted their brake lights as a potential collision risk bc it jammed on the brakes. There was a car traveling behind me which was able to brake and swerve to avoid rear ending me. The whole event scared the crap out of me and could have been a complete disaster. It’s really hard to correct this action if you aren’t expecting it. Definitely creates a dangerous situation.

On the bright side, most all of the AP software re-write beta testers that post videos to YouTube about their experiences with the new software state that phantom braking is 99.9% fixed in the beta.

I follow most of these FSD beta channels, and they pretty much all say that the code for highway driving is the same as what is out to the public. So I don't see how phantom braking is any better with the FSD beta.

I follow most of these FSD beta channels, and they pretty much all say that the code for highway driving is the same as what is out to the public. So I don't see how phantom braking is any better with the FSD beta.
I've watched numerous videos from FSD Beta testers that have all said that phantom braking is resolved in the new beta. I don't feel like chasing them all down right now, so here's just a quick tweet from one of the more well-regarded Tesla followers:

https://twitter.com/teslaownersSV/status/1319746128099692544

I (obviously) don't have access to the FSD Beta, so all I can do at this point is parrot back to the forums what I've seen/read by those that actually have the beta.

I have yet to watch a FSD beta video where the author had problems with phantom braking. Since real world experience isn't a possibility right now, we'll just have to "wait and see" when we finally get access to the software.

I googled this a bit (haven't watched that many FSD beta videos, and the ones I watched tend to be in local driving, not highway).
A couple months ago it was said that for FSD beta people, when they switch to NOA on highway the UI is the same as regular NOA. However, that says nothing about the overall code underneath being the same.
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...navigate_on_autopilot_use_the_same_code_base/
The latest FSD beta certainly seems far more sure about which cars/objects are near it than the current releases in cars today.

Last edited:
The "latest software" in the thread title is fuzzy, since we may not all have the same release, and it'll keep changing anyway. But I have 2021.4.3 and 2 days ago I had a phantom brake. Overcast conditions, so it wasn't a bridge shadow or any of those things. The only thing I could figure is I was approaching an offramp that was not on my route. I was in the right lane. The car suddenly slowed, and then sped right back up again. Maybe it was uncertain whether its lane was the left fork (continuing freeway) or right fork (offramp).

The "latest software" in the thread title is fuzzy, since we may not all have the same release, and it'll keep changing anyway. But I have 2021.4.3 and 2 days ago I had a phantom brake. Overcast conditions, so it wasn't a bridge shadow or any of those things. The only thing I could figure is I was approaching an offramp that was not on my route. I was in the right lane. The car suddenly slowed, and then sped right back up again. Maybe it was uncertain whether its lane was the left fork (continuing freeway) or right fork (offramp).
Kind of off topic, but having watched videos of other ADAS in China (like the XPeng system), those do a far better job of informing the driver what the system was "thinking" by announcing what it plans to do or what it detected. This may be annoying to some people (so it can be put in a setting perhaps to turn off), but would at least give more peace of mind to people. The system itself may not necessarily be more capable than Tesla's (for example throw it in a tighter curve or a poorly marked road that it doesn't have on an HD map, and it'll fail, while the Tesla might be able to continue), but the people using it still are more confident using the system due to being well informed about what it's doing or planning to do.

I get Tesla wants to eventually get to FSD, but for a level 2 system something like this can be quite helpful.

Reactions: Thora
I googled this a bit (haven't watched that many FSD beta videos, and the ones I watched tend to be in local driving, not highway).
A couple months ago it was said that for FSD beta people, when they switch to NOA on highway the UI is the same as regular NOA. However, that says nothing about the overall code underneath being the same.
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...navigate_on_autopilot_use_the_same_code_base/
The latest FSD beta certainly seems far more sure about which cars/objects are near it than the current releases in cars today.

from that same reddit thread:
NoAP in all of the beta videos is making the same dumb mistakes that the latest builds public builds make.

I always do a pre-flight walk-around and wipe the cameras/glass first thing in the morning. I have never had unexplainable "phantom" braking in the last year and a half. There are rare ambiguous situations where the car chooses to slow down where I might or might not make that choice. We're dealing with a quasi-intelligence, not a genius driver; be prepared to vote otherwise.

Using TACC on a 2 lane road, I get brief slowdowns approaching rises regularly. It’s like the car can’t see the road ahead so hesitates. I’ve also had occasional braking for hard shadows on the same road. I had a scary moment on a highway last week with a car to the left and a car pulled off the road on the right and someone right behind me going 60. The car slammed on the brakes, I think interpreting the stopped car pulled off to the right as being in my lane. I had to hit the accelerator quickly to avoid being rear ended. Overall, phantom braking has improved, but it’s still an issue for me.

It has been happening for me intermittently when I am on cruise control and autopilot. (No fsd).

I drive on interstate everyday. It used to happen occasionally in a empty highway with no cars in front of me. Two occasions after I crossed an overbridge where the road was dipping down and climbing up. The other times open road, 2 lane, interstate no cars in front of me.

3 weeks ago my Y braked suddenly in an open road with a car behind me, fortunately I was not rear ended.

I took it to SC. Fortunately I did a bug report for the last 4 episodes (initially I was not doing it). They obviously couldn’t find anything wrong and asked me to provide a map location of the incidents. Then reprogrammed my cameras.

Still happening. After reprogramming even though I have set 1 car length for following the car ahead, my Y is slowing down 3-4 car lengths before the car ahead of me. Have not had the phantom braking yet, but hesitantncy seen.

SC answer no fix, Tesla software is a work in progress so bear with it.

Last edited:
I have a Model S for 3 years now. I am based in Switzerland. I don't go on many long trips but I have just been on a 1000km round trip on motorways / Autoroutes and I had at least 2 scary phantom breaking experiences on the trip. I say scary as I was not expecting them and I can see that they can be dangerous when not expected. My 2 examples are linked to when entering a tunnel or passing under a bridge with Shadow on the road and with a vehicle or lorry on my right side. Now that I read that it is an experience that others have had I can understand why some Tesla drivers would be reluctant to use the cruise control function. I will still use it I think but with more caution. If I understand correctly this does not happen in other branded cars cruise control as they use a different basis to manage the cruise control ? Can someone advise on that ? My friend who was with me is an Audi driver and was quite shocked by the Model S Cruise Control behaviour.
Is Tesla cruise control a GPS based system as opposed to what else for other Car brands ? Thanks for any replies

I have a Model S for 3 years now. I am based in Switzerland. I don't go on many long trips but I have just been on a 1000km round trip on motorways / Autoroutes and I had at least 2 scary phantom breaking experiences on the trip. I say scary as I was not expecting them and I can see that they can be dangerous when not expected. My 2 examples are linked to when entering a tunnel or passing under a bridge with Shadow on the road and with a vehicle or lorry on my right side. Now that I read that it is an experience that others have had I can understand why some Tesla drivers would be reluctant to use the cruise control function. I will still use it I think but with more caution. If I understand correctly this does not happen in other branded cars cruise control as they use a different basis to manage the cruise control ? Can someone advise on that ? My friend who was with me is an Audi driver and was quite shocked by the Model S Cruise Control behaviour.
Is Tesla cruise control a GPS based system as opposed to what else for other Car brands ? Thanks for any replies
Nope Happens with Audi too. They have to change to LIDAR to stop this from happening. Cameras are the problem.

Nope Happens with Audi too. They have to change to LIDAR to stop this from happening. Cameras are the problem.
Thanks Rocdude , so to clarify phantom breaking in general is due to the cameras and phantom breaking occurs in existing Audi cars? . My friends have never experienced that which is why I am surprised.
And the Tesla Vision system is one that is an adaptive learning based system that improves over time?

I have seen this come and go with each new version. From what I have learnt, except for a couple fringe ones, most of the times phantom braking and phantom drain return with every version number that had odd digit at the end. This is quite anecdotal at best, however I have been trying to keep a running log on issues with each version. Wipers are the only thing that does not give me any issues.