Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
phantom breaking happens every time i travel south on hwy 15 heading towards San Diego, it usually happens when traveling under overpass, not sure if its because cameras are seeing temporary shadows or what but it’s real. It always happens, it’s frustrating. If i can i will record a video of it happening since it’s fairly predictable of when/ where it occurs
We didn't know the term of Phatom Braking before we took our late June Telsa Y out for a road trip from Portland to Yellowstone. When it first happened, it freaked the hell out of the whole car!!! and we started trying to find some sort of consistency of when it would happened... but it's never predictable for us... but few occasions are predictable 1) when there's a motorcycle coming out from the other side, 2) when it's very windy, (when we drove back from the Columbia Gorge, it just constantly braking, I seriously thought we needed to take the car in for service 3) when the speed is higher than 65mph, it happens more frequently, hence we believed it's the car
has anybody examed the camera?? I wonder if there's something flying through the camera like bugs or dirt causes the camera freaked out more? Has anybody made the comparison between the model (radars) and ones that they said camera based (since May of this year??) I am curious where I can find data or comparison of which one causes more?! has Tesla made any official acknowledgement that this is a real problem? I sometimes believe it's a real hazard especially when we were driving on Montana highway where everybody was going 80+ mph and the sudden braking like those, could really cause accidents, isn't that so??

we were heading over to La Jolla this past weekend, and were on the 52 heading west using NOA and all of a sudden the car slammed on the breaks.....again, no warning, its very unpredictable. If it doesnt happen to you then you are indeed lucky. Something tells me it has something to do with the sensors but until Tesla acknowledge it, its very hard to say why.

Reactions: Stach
As I was driving to Montreal on Sunday this happened several times. I am currently unable to take a video at all, so couldn't record it. It seemed to happen more around high traffic than empty roads. It's quite disturbing and surprising. To the point I drove a good part of the way with TACC off.

Onboard dashcam footage doesn’t really convey phantom braking all that well. People need to either be in car or see the speedometer in the dash. I have one dashcam video of it happening yesterday afternoon. Best indicator of what happened was how the car next to me seemed to all of the sudden accelerate when in reality he stayed constant and I slowed rapidly.

Reactions: Stach
Phantom braking can be pretty bad. There's a spot on my drive where it slams the brakes on the highway and drops 10mph right away. Even worse is when it's in a spot where it goes from state highway to divided freeway and everyone is hitting the gas while AP is slamming the brakes. These days I just keep my foot on the pedal in all the places where I expect phantom braking. My wife, who drives more than I do, has stopped using AP altogether because of this.

Really takes the stress out of your driving huh? :)

In later releases, since maybe 3 months ago and the new EU navigation map update, it just slams the brakes in front of overpasses, so I have to remember to keep the accelerator down. Sometimes I forget and get punished for it.

Also, the speed limit is a mishmash of mapped limits and sign reading. Sometimes when the sign is clear as day I doesn't read it. And a new section where a speed limit is set that never were there, and is wrong. So I have to keep my accelerator pressed too. So for me the new "updates" have ultimately made things worse.

has anybody examed the camera??

It's not the camera. It's the software. The motorcycle one is cautious braking, and you'll get the exact same behavior if a truck (semi) gets close to its lane line as well. It's seriously startling. But Phantom braking will happen when you're on a totally empty road, clear weather, sunny day, no wind. It is especially prevalent when approaching overpasses, though Tesla combed through their data a couple years ago and white-listed a bunch of them.

Naturally, the consequence of white listing an overpass is that if traffic is stopped exactly under the overpass, your car will crash into those stopped cars because it has been told not to brake under the overpass. Not what I'd call a safe solution, and we've already had at least one incident related to this, possibly two.

Reactions: Durwood101