Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Do you know how to read though?” isn’t an insult? I don’t know how you speak to people in real life, but I sure hope you’ve got better manners than that.

And yes, phantom braking is absolutely a big deal, but the last thing on my mind is “OMG I’d better get a video of this for YouTube!”
All I am asking for is a little bit of evidence. The only “phantom breaking” I see on video is on small winding roads....

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri
All I am asking for is a little bit of evidence. The only “phantom breaking” I see on video is on small winding roads....

Next time it happens, I'll blow the horn for you. But I assure you it can and does happen, and yes, at highway speeds - ask my wife who's blurted out "What the hell was that?!" more times than I care to count.

phantom breaking happens every time i travel south on hwy 15 heading towards San Diego, it usually happens when traveling under overpass, not sure if its because cameras are seeing temporary shadows or what but it’s real. It always happens, it’s frustrating. If i can i will record a video of it happening since it’s fairly predictable of when/ where it occurs

I would not even dream of using autopilot off of the interstate so that’s not relevant.

Look all over this message board for people complaining about phantom breaking.

Don’t underestimate how much lane centering reduces fatigue. I like controlling the pedals, that’s the easy part for me and the part that AP has the most trouble with. Staying in your own lane, making sure you don’t sway near another car, seems like such an easy problem for Tesla to solve, they have solved it, yet they refuse to enable it without TACC which doesn’t make sense. As it stands my $20k accord has a less stressful, less fatiguing commute on highways because it stays in lanes by itself and I don’t need to worry about the car doing something unpredictable.

Enable AP then set the the target speed to like 30 mph below your cruising speed (or even zero). Presto, lane keeping while you control the pedals. Maybe not as elegant a solution as you're looking for, but I wouldn't let it keep me from owning a Tesla.

phantom braking is less of a problem for me on 2021.4.18.11 and 18.2 before that.
Many events I've seen aren't actual "phantom braking" where the car misinterprets something as a road obstruction. I don't see many of them.

What I've seen much more is the car suddenly deciding the 70mph speed limit is now 25mph which quickly slows us down to 30mph.
Really annoying.
The other favorite is misinterpreting a double yellow warning light as a traffic light and braking hard for it when it decides the flashing yellow is turning red.
Or maybe see a car making a cross traffic turn in front of us, waaay off in the distance ahead, the other car is 50 yards down the road to the side and my car STILL screeches a warning a brakes hard.
So, not "phantom braking" as such, but a whole bunch of really annoying, uncomfortable driving aspects that have improved but are still extremely frustrating

Now I just keep my foot on the pedal because I can't trust the car with it. The actual lane keeping is pretty darned good.

Reactions: WattPwr
You don’t have a Tesla so how do you know phantom breaking is a real issue?

Have you looked at any videos? If you would please share with the class! I think phantom breaking is mostly a phantom issue. It happens some of the time when people use autosteer on small roads (eg not interstates) but that’s it.

Other manufacturers don’t offer lane keeping off the interstate anyway....
I do not have any phantom breaking, however it DOES slow from 75 to 50, every single time I pass several offramps on C-470 south of Denver. I love my Tesla, but there are major issues with basic auto pilot.

Reactions: maus92
Do you know how to read though? Like the manual for instance? Blow the horn and it saves.
Ha ha. Yes of course right after having a phantom braking event in 80 MPH traffic and people suddenly veer and pass you just honk the horn to save the video. "That Tesla driver just brake checked everyone then honked his horn at us? Grab my gun." <- an example of undesired manufactured road rage.

I have had my model 3 for about 2 weeks and have taken a couple of road trips and put on 2K miles on it. I have basic AP and running 2021.4.18.2 I have encountered phantom breaking at least 4 times when driving, seems to happen when there are changes in lighting, and I believe Elon acknowledge this a couple of days ago:

I had my in laws in the back seat and they would freak out every time it happened, it is something very noticeable and frequent from my experience. I am not stopping using AP but it does lower my confidence and make drives uncomfortable since I am expecting it to happen at any time and constantly looking at the rear mirror to see if someone would hit me if it were to suddenly break.

Based on Elon's tweet I hope this is resolved soon!

You don’t have a Tesla so how do you know phantom breaking is a real issue?

Have you looked at any videos? If you would please share with the class! I think phantom breaking is mostly a phantom issue. It happens some of the time when people use autosteer on small roads (eg not interstates) but that’s it.

Other manufacturers don’t offer lane keeping off the interstate anyway....
Oh, phantom braking is a real issue, and only happens on Interstates in my case - because they are the only roads I use AP/AS on. My current version of software 2021.4.18.10 is much improved over 2021.4.18.1 which was delivered on the car, and the 2 prior updates.

Oh, phantom braking is a real issue, and only happens on Interstates in my case - because they are the only roads I use AP/AS on. My current version of software 2021.4.18.10 is much improved over 2021.4.18.1 which was delivered on the car, and the 2 prior updates.
I would like to see videos of this because I legit cannot find examples....

The last thing on a list of tasks is to save a video when you are shocked by a sudden deceleration with no obvious reason. Frankly, you are moving into troll territory.
Why, you act like there is something stopping you from posting a video? It’s one horn press away. I’m asking for evidence. If that makes me a troll we are heading toward the dark ages.

Why, you act like there is something stopping you from posting a video? It’s one horn press away. I’m asking for evidence. If that makes me a troll we are heading toward the dark ages.
I don’t understand the need to be in denial? Several people have commented including me that this is a very common issue.

There is nothing wrong with bringing these issues to light, that’s the only way to get the attention they need and get fixed.

This comes down to improving this feature and address safety concerns and Elon has acknowledged this issue, so what’s the matter with not wanting to post video proof on these forums? Or are you truly asking for video for educational purposes?

I don’t understand the need to be in denial? Several people have commented including me that this is a very common issue.

because it never happened to me, and people are claiming it’s a big enough issue that they can’t buy a Tesla. They seem incredulous especially they say it happens often but cannot produce video. They claim the reason they can’t is because it takes a lot of work to produce a video, but the Tesla does that for them quite easily...

• Disagree
He has multiple examples in that video, and at least 2 of them are on a divided road where Autosteer would be allowed. (But it is TACC that is the problem, not Autosteer.)
I see one in a tunnel, where it looks like a truck is moving into the Tesla’s lane and the Tesla drove defensively.... I would consider that appropriate action. The car didn’t slam the breaks....

• Disagree
because it never happened to me, and people are claiming it’s a big enough issue that they can’t buy a Tesla. They seem incredulous especially they say it happens often but cannot produce video. They claim the reason they can’t is because it takes a lot of work to produce a video, but the Tesla does that for them quite easily...
Walks like a troll, talks like a troll. Passive aggressive to boot. Do you leave mom's basement much? Not an insult, just a question.

Last edited: