Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually that one is easy to explain. You just passed a 55mph speed limit sign right at the point it braked and you were going 65. It was overly aggressive and braked you to 47 mph, but it would seem the obvious trigger is the speed limit sign.
Are you saying that Tesla Vision reads the speed limit signs, because it doesn't always do this. I believe at least some are mapped.

Are you saying that Tesla Vision reads the speed limit signs, because it doesn't always do this. I believe at least some are mapped.
It has nothing to do with Tesla vision. The regular AP had been able to read speed limit signs since almost a year ago, my own car certainly does.

On my vehicle the behavior (while on AP) is as follows.

While on divided Freeway -> The speed limit signs are typically read, but the car doesn't change speeds. I actually find it frustrating that it doesn't, and I always have to tap the speed limit for it to adjust to my set speed (a percentage over the speed limit).

While on undivided freeway/highway -> The speed limit signs are typically read, and the car changes speeds if its over the speed limit+5mph.

Where phantom braking commonly occurs is on divided freeways when the car gets fooled into thinking its on a undivided road. As an example on I5 through Tacoma (an endless construction nightmare) the car inevitably always gets confused due to map issues. So it will suddenly try to slow down to a much lower speed. How abrupt this is depends on traffic. Typically traffic is a nightmare there so its usually just a little annoying as you'll see the cars speed up ahead of you and yet you're falling way behind until you realize your set speed is way less.

So it's really a combination of reading signs, and mapped signs like you said.

The vast majority of the phantom braking I get is maps where the car is confused about where it's at. I used to be someone who absolutely hated TACC/AP due to phantom braking, but in the last 6+ months or so it hasn't been bad. This is assuming TACC/AP, and not any EAP/FSD related feature.

Hopefully Tesla Vision can be used to let the car know to ignore bad map data. It's pretty visually obvious when someone is on a freeway.

Most exit ramps and curves are not speed limits but yellow suggested speed signs. My M3LR recognizes every single speed limit it can see...when not blocked by a vehicle.
Yea, the are advisory, but they are there to notify the driver that the safe speed for negotiating the area is lower than the legal speed limit. Logically, the software should read and abide those signs as they are for safety.

Last edited:
I solved some of my phantom braking issues by disabling traffic control (BETA). My drive has improved significantly since then. However in some places it seems like the car still brakes for no reason at all.

For those in the Bay Area, 17N right before the cats, my car has always slammed the brakes and still does to this day.

I looked through the menus, but couldn't find "Traffic Control", where is located (I swear that I've seen it before). I only have Autopilot, so maybe you need FSD to see it?

Thanks in advance!
Stach

I looked through the menus, but couldn't find "Traffic Control", where is located (I swear that I've seen it before). I only have Autopilot, so maybe you need FSD to see it?

Thanks in advance!
Stach
With car in park, it's under Controls > Autopilot > Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control. It's only there for those with FSD (or if you had the 3 month trial that was offered at the end of last year).

All I am asking for is a little bit of evidence. The only “phantom breaking” I see on video is on small winding roads....

It's not nearly as dramatic in the Teslacam footage as it is in real life, but as I passed the zebra stripes on I-295 Friday, the X slammed on the brake. Easier to see in the left repeater camera. Of course I hit the accelerator to get the car out of it so it's only momentary but it's very jarring. I-295 isn't exactly a small winding road.

Model X LR+ "Raven", HW3, full AP + FSD (wide release, not closed beta) software stack, firmware 2021.4.18.2, for the record.

I got a "What the hell was that? That hurt my neck" out of my wife, so yeah, phantom braking is real, unpredictable and unpleasant.

Last edited:
Immediately in front of/above the brake. More important to hit the brake in an emergency than the accelerator - but I can get there in a fraction of a second, too.
Interesting! I rest on the accelerator primarily because the phantom braking is unpredictable and the response is much less trained into muscle memory. Whereas resting my foot on the accelerator and moving to the brakes in the event if emergency is akin to driving a car without cruise control. Maybe I should add my left foot braking back in 😂

I did take the same route from Indy-Chicago and back, and did find significantly less phantom braking events, for a total of 4 on divided highway. Many in the same/similar spots as before with totally different driving conditions (light rain). I am fairly confident that 2/4 are location based braking, the others I'm not so sure.

One of those two is from a highway expansion, the right most lane used to be exit only, so I am assuming the location assumes it should slow from 70 to 55 to make the turn.

Still incredibly annoying, the road is quite clear that the lane proceeds straight and the exit is actually closed. Interestingly enough I haven't had this issue when in some construction zones where the temp lane is in the shoulder (though I often have to cancel half way through because I'm not confident AS can discern some of the lane markers).

Undivided highway seems improved compared to last, definitely still some Location based issues, dropping the AP speed when the Tesla indicated Speed Limit hasn't changed.

Reactions: coolmanfever
Interesting! I rest on the accelerator primarily because the phantom braking is unpredictable and the response is much less trained into muscle memory. Whereas resting my foot on the accelerator and moving to the brakes in the event if emergency is akin to driving a car without cruise control. Maybe I should add my left foot braking back in 😂

I did take the same route from Indy-Chicago and back, and did find significantly less phantom braking events, for a total of 4 on divided highway. Many in the same/similar spots as before with totally different driving conditions (light rain). I am fairly confident that 2/4 are location based braking, the others I'm not so sure.

One of those two is from a highway expansion, the right most lane used to be exit only, so I am assuming the location assumes it should slow from 70 to 55 to make the turn.

Still incredibly annoying, the road is quite clear that the lane proceeds straight and the exit is actually closed. Interestingly enough I haven't had this issue when in some construction zones where the temp lane is in the shoulder (though I often have to cancel half way through because I'm not confident AS can discern some of the lane markers).

Undivided highway seems improved compared to last, definitely still some Location based issues, dropping the AP speed when the Tesla indicated Speed Limit hasn't changed.
If it's nearing a turn (even one that is closed) it is likely location based as according the manual the system slows to prepare for turns according to location (a function that overrides current speed limits). I don't think Vision will really solve any location based braking/slowing until they add in a function to allow the visual input to override slowing. But I think they are focused on other things at the moment, so don't think that will come any time soon.

Well, it’s easy to prove me wrong.... take a video of your phantom issues.....

It looks like your fragile little ego can't handle me clicking disagree in this thread, so you trolled all my other comments to click "disagree". lmao. Good for you, way to win the case.

Phantom braking is still a thing no matter how hard you wish it wasn't.